Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you need cultural cohesion ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12445

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Do you need cultural cohesion ?

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 06, 2026 3:51 pm

I made baingan bharta the other night (eggplants from CSA I wanted to use). We had with scallops (with butter, wine, garlic) and purple potatoes with sage. Betsy remarked it seemed strange to serve without rice . I started thinking about how we generally unconsciously just gravitate towards some form of unified menu theory. Did I decide to do Korean style pork because I was making an Asian slaw, or was it the other way around. If doing an Italian-ish pasta dish, side will likely be likely be broccoli rabe (or broccoli with colatura d'alici). When I made bhindi masala suddenly the chicken was tandoori-ish, and basmati rice (instead of our usual Japanese). But really there's no reason that one couldn't do veal marsala with fried rice and Indian okra. Do you mix it up at one meal?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Posts

9965

Joined

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

Location

New York, NY

Re: Do you need cultural cohesion ?

by Rahsaan » Tue Oct 06, 2026 4:56 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Betsy remarked it seemed strange to serve without rice . I started thinking about how we generally unconsciously just gravitate towards some form of unified menu theory... Do you mix it up at one meal?


I'm not a stickler, but to some extent, yes, some things feel more coherent. I cook a lot of tofu with "Asian" style flavorings, so I'm not dogmatic about 'authenticity' in that respect. But it does feel best eaten with short-grain East Asian rice, or sometimes Asian noodles. I recoil at the idea of combining with Western-style potatoes.

I also never cook these tofu dishes with olive oil, the flavor doesn't seem right. My wife isn't concerned and will cooks hers with olive oil, which always makes me shudder.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Posts

8775

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Location

Sacramento, CA

Re: Do you need cultural cohesion ?

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:07 pm

Interesting question. I can't see anything inherently wrong with mixing, say, a Thai curry with mashed potatoes, but I don't think I'd do it. Rice just seems right with Asian food. By the same token, jasmine rice with osso buco seems wrong.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

8620

Joined

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Location

NYC

Re: Do you need cultural cohesion ?

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:18 pm

I like the sound of rice and osso buco! I also think naan makes a great hot dog bun.

But I'm not dogmatic about it. "Usual and customary" is typically fine.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Posts

8775

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Location

Sacramento, CA

Re: Do you need cultural cohesion ?

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:25 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:I like the sound of rice and osso buco! I also think naan makes a great hot dog bun.

But I'm not dogmatic about it. "Usual and customary" is typically fine.


Well. risotto certainly counts as rice, but that creaminess is what I find makes it a good match.

But naan and a hot dog does sound good.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Posts

7380

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Do you need cultural cohesion ?

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Oct 07, 2026 11:55 am

I mix it all up, now, I need to use things up as I am feeding one, most of the time. In years past, I did a lot of Mexican, Portuguese, Indian, Italian, Asian, and more. If you could see my dried spices and herbs, you would be amazed. When I make Mexican food, I usually stick to that, and some Asian, etc. I see no reason not to make mashed cauliflower with an Asian inspired chicken, etc. It is fun to cook, and I am a tweaker and have learned how to make many too-long recipes shorter. For some reason, I am not doing as much rice as I used to, and I have many great recipes. I'm liking Farro, Wild Rice, and ancient grains better. And, as you all know, I am a huge meat-and-potatoes gal.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Posts

22038

Joined

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Location

Louisville, KY

Re: Do you need cultural cohesion ?

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:14 am

Very interesting question, Dale! Thinking about it, I share the consensus that seems to be forming: As a general rule, cultural cohesion feels natural, although there are degrees: Is Cincinnati chili really chili even though it has cinnamon in it and is really relabeled Greek spaghetti with meat sauce? Do beans belong in chili if Texans consider it heretical? What ever happened to the fusion cookery trend, anyway? Did it turn into cultural appropriation? Is Wolfgang Puck still around? :)

On the other hand, yesterday I used a bag of Rancho Gordo pinto beans to make Appalachian soup beans but with Mexican spices and a scoop of Bosnian red-pepper avjar to kick it up a notch ...
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12445

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Do you need cultural cohesion ?

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 08, 2026 12:24 pm

Sounds like most people are on the same page- instinctive to plan a meal that's culturally integrated, but not rigid).
I think even when doing "fusion" cooking we tend to adhere to at least one half of the equation.
And yes Wolfgang Puck is still around (as is Jean Georges Vong..(I can't spell it), maybe his closest NYC counterpart
Thanks all for thoughtful responses

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ByteSpider, ClaudeBot, DotBot and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign