Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

For Gary about fusilli

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: For Gary about fusilli

by John Tomasso » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:04 am

Not only do they produce it in the USA, they've also built plants in Mexico.
I do like Barilla - it may not be artisinal, but it is very forgiving.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Fusilli bucati corti

by Maria Samms » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:12 am

Gary Barlettano wrote: I've lived in Europe and the U.S. and one thing that has taught me is to shut up and listen because 10 different people with 10 different viewpoints can all be right from their own particular perspective.

Are you telling us to shut up Gary? :lol:

Robin Garr wrote:even though the shape isn't quite identical to fusilli bucati corti - the helix is pulled out more, like a corkscrew; the cut version is tight like a spring.

Same here Robin...the long fusilli that I found was also a more like a corkscrew and was less tight than the cut version. I wonder how they cook up? I might have to buy some to see.

I will also have to go back to my hometown to see what they have...I grew up in a very Italian-American area, so they might have more fusilli there.

Robin - does your Barilla call your cut fusilli "fusilli Bucati corta" or "cellantini"?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Fusilli bucati corti

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:20 am

Maria Samms wrote:Same here Robin...the long fusilli that I found was also a more like a corkscrew and was less tight than the cut version. I wonder how they cook up? I might have to buy some to see.

Just like bucatini (which I love) in my opinion ... only the spiral makes it nice for thick pasta sauces with small bits, like Tuscan ragu.

Robin - does your Barilla call your cut fusilli "fusilli Bucati corta" or "cellantini"?

Fusilli Bucati Corti ... "Callentini" is a new one on me!
Last edited by Robin Garr on Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

FrancescoP

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:47 am

Belgium

by FrancescoP » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:30 am

Divella is ok as pasta brand ... yes from Bari not far from where I grew up.

The long fusilli go great with a simple sauce made out of basic tomato sauce (passata, little water, oil, one entire onion simmering for 20' or so) mixed with fresh ricotta and basil leaves.
Ciao,
Francesco

Visit my site at http://www.thefoodtraveller.com
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:42 am

I have GOT to stop reading food posts when I haven't had time for breakfast and lunch is still hours away!

Now I am craving pasta.
Previous