Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's on your menu?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: What's on your menu?

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:03 pm

Recent evening features:

Punjabi Chicken and Fresh Fenugreek Curry

Sichuan Ground Pork with Hot Chiles

Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo

Sambar and Iddli

Tsa Chiang Mein (Beijing stir-fried ground pork with bean sauce, served with bean sprouts and cucumber slivers over boiled noodles)

Still happily enjoying the leftovers, and looking forward to breaking out the grill, now that the spring thaw is here.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:19 pm

Punjabi Chicken and Fresh Fenugreek Curry

Sichuan Ground Pork with Hot Chiles

Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo

Sambar and Iddli

Tsa Chiang Mein (Beijing stir-fried ground pork with bean sauce, served with bean sprouts and cucumber slivers over boiled noodles).

Sounds like you hit several ethnic groups there. Yum! Most sounds pretty good, except that I don't know what Sambar and Iddli are.

Edited to show what I intended to quote. Thanks Paul for answering my question anyway.
Last edited by Linda R. (NC) on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:17 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:Sounds like you hit several ethnic groups there. Yum! Most sounds pretty good, except that I don't know what Sambar and Iddli are.

Yes - Cajun, Chinese, and Indian.

Sambar is a highly spiced and hot soupy stew. You start by simmering hulled and split pigeon peas (toor dal, in Indian) in about a 1:4 ratio with water, until the dal are soft and starting to break apart and thicken the mixture. Independently you sweat/fry some onions and garlic in a little oil and cook until soft and starting to turn golden. Add some ground dried spices (coriander, roasted coconut, turmeric, dried red chiles, etc.), minced fresh ginger, and reconstituted tamarind, and a pinch of asafoetida, mix into the dal with more water, add assorted chopped veggies if you wish, and then simmer together about 20 minutes. At the end a tarka (fried spice garnish) of black mustard seeds, curry leaves, and perhaps other things is briefly fried in a tablespoon or so of oil and poured over the sambar. Put a pinch of garam masala over the finished dish as a final garnish.

A standard accompaniment to sambar is iddli, which are steamed cakes made from a batter consisting of coarsely-ground white rice and urad dal (hulled, split black gram lentils), in a proportion of 2/3 rice to 1/3 dal. The rice and dal are soaked overnight separately, then ground into a thickish batter that is left to ferment (or you can add a dollop of yogurt to get it started). The batter is spooned into the cavities of an iddli tree (the Indian equivalent of a muffin or cupcake mold) and then steamed for 15 minutes. The finished iddlis are more like corn muffins than anything else, as they have a somewhat grainy texture, but they are much softer than a muffin and have a slightly sourdough flavor that's all their own. They are a magnificent foil for sambar.

I haven't had much success with making iddli batter myself. I manage something that's within acceptable range, but the local Indian grocery store here sells iddli batter that makes foolproof iddlis, so I don't bother mixing up the batter from scratch anymore.

-Paul W.

P.S. - Spring thaw has been delayed. We got snow, sleet and freezing rain today, and more predicted for tomorrow.
no avatar
User

Hanie

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:17 pm

currently commuting between Kuala Lumpur and Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.

My favourite subject.....

by Hanie » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:27 pm

It was chicken curry mopped with plain white bread. Washed down with rose syrup. Cut local fruits and thick black local coffee for dessert. Simple, simple stuff.
This Is Hanie
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: My favourite subject.....

by Paul Winalski » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:56 pm

Hanie wrote:It was chicken curry mopped with plain white bread. Washed down with rose syrup. Cut local fruits and thick black local coffee for dessert. Simple, simple stuff.

Simple, but sounds delicious.

-Paul W.
Previous