Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

BBQ ribs help

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

Re: BBQ ribs help

by MikeH » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:50 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
MikeH wrote:I would add one more point about smoking. Most every article I have read says avoid mesquite for smoking. BBQ food that is exposed to mesquite smoke for an extended period tends to pick up a bitter taste. Mesquite is fine for grilling where meat is cooked quickly and the wood burns hot. For smoking, use hickory, apple, maple, cherry, etc. But no mesquite.
Actually, that bitter taste can be imparted by any wood. It is the flavor laid down by the pith, which is the result of any residual moisture in the sap that lives between the bark and the wood core. You can usually avoid this slight imperfection by doing several things:
-- make certain you are using wood that is cured (i.e. dried for 6 mos to a year, depending on size of the limb)
-- if the wood has bark on it, set it on coals or burn at least 5 minutes before putting your meat over it (allowing time for the bark and the sap to burn off)
-- lay down your smoking agent either at the beginning or end of your smoking time for 30 to 45 minutes only. You will get the flavor and regulate the intensity as you desire, depending on how long you allow it to smoke.
-- Flavor intensity is also determined by the type of wood you use.

Different woods are better suited for different meats. Decide which woods you like best and then determine the level of intensity you prefer. This is largely a process of trial and determination. Personally, with pork I find the more fragrant hard woods are more pleasing to my palate: oak, hickory, pecan. For fish: mesquite and alder. For poultry: fruit woods like cherry, apple, peach, pear. For beef: butchered up oak barrels used in wine making (a special treat), or grape vines. But, I do mix it up, depending on what I am going for in the final product, and the sauces I will pair with the meat. All of this advice is good, but in the end, you will need to decide for yourself what works and taste good to you! Good luck.

I probably should have emphasized the phrase "BBQ food that is exposed to mesquite smoke for an extended period tends to pick up a bitter taste," particularly the word "extended."

I'm not sure if you are implying that mesquite is as usable as hickory, cherry, apple, and other hardwoods for purposes of smoking ribs. The literature is very clear that it is not:

In their book <i>Smoke & Spice</i>, Cheryl and Bill Jamison write this about mesquite: "It's great for grilling because it burns very hot, but below average for barbecuing for the same reason. Also, the smoke taste turns from tangy to bitter over an extended cooking time. Few serious pitmasters use mesquite, despite a lot of stories about its prevalence in the Southwest." (emphasis mine)

After testing three types of woods for smoking ribs, Cooks Illustrated stated: "Mesquite, on the other hand, had a fake, pungent flavor that tasters universally hated."

Paul Kirk, winner of numerous BBQ competitions, talks about mesquite in his book Championship BBQ : "...mesquite burns fast and hot, with a heavy smoke flavor. In my opinion, mesquite is better for grilling than for smoking because it's harder to control for long smoking times. Too much mesquite for too long and your food is inedible."

Kirk later allows "because fish doesn't take very long to smoke.....you could even use mesquite..." Fish can be hot smoked in an hour; ribs will take at least 4 hours; pork butt and brisket can easily be 16 hour projects. Yes, you can go easy on the wood chips and/or chunks. But if wood is your primary fuel source and you are doing a long smoke, at least three professional sources advise avoiding mesquite. That's enough for me to avoid mesquite altogether as a smoking wood. Its also the basic point I was trying to make in the original post: used in a long smoke, mesquite can ruin the food.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:41 am

You will get the flavor and regulate the intensity as you desire, depending on how long you allow it to smoke.
-- Flavor intensity is also determined by the type of wood you use.
Hi, Mike
You will get no argument from me on everything you say. Thus, I emphasize the two points in the quote above from my prior post. I think you made my point. And, I think you will note that I suggested mesquite and alder for fish (i.e. foods with short grilling/smoking times). But, every lesson is a good one. Thank you.
Jo
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:10 am

Jo Ann, when you cook using wood, is it all wood, or is the wood additional to charcoal? I use wood to add smoke to my grilling which I do over lump charcoal. I own a Kamado #7 cooker, and use the lump for hotter cooking, but (for now) I use some Kamado extruded coconut (KEC) for my low and slow cooking. I ordered the KEC at the same time that I ordered the cooker, the KEC is not inexpensive as I have to have it shipped from Kamado in California, and they get it from southeast Asia. That makes a 16 pound box run around $18 each. If you have no idea what a Kamado cooker is click on the link below. The picture that comes up is the same size and color as mine.

http://www.kamado.com
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:25 am

HI, Bob
I use wood in addition to charcoal. I only have a Webber and the high heat from all wood would incinerate my meats (and probably destroy the Webber). So, I start the coals in a chimney and add the woods just for the sake of flavor, not cooking. But the wood is an integral part of my grilling/smoking process. Using indirect heat, I put all charcoals on one side -- lay down the piece of wood I want to smoke with on the other, and put enough charcoals over the wood for it to set the fire. ( I do this while the charcoal is red hot, before you get that white "I'm ready" ash on the top ones. That way, by the time the wood is set, everything is ready to go.) Again, I allow a few minutes for the burn off (if needed), then set my meats on the grate. My woods are all fully cured so I don't worry too much about that pithy bitterness. The best site on the web for barbequeing woods of all types is at Barbeque Woods. They are having a pretty good sale right now, so this is a place to start if you want to experimenet a bit. If you don't smoke a lot, you might want to go in with a friend on the purchase to split the price. Eighteen pounds is going to get you a lot of wood -- and even with the cost of shipping, I think it's a great price. However, I also ask around at work and among friends who have fruit trees when they will be prunning or cutting down a tree. Start gathering and segregating in the fall and put away in a dry location. Next barbeque season you will be ready to go. GOOD LUCK!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:48 am

I have the kind of electric smoker where you put about a quart of soaked chips around the heating coils at the bottom; then you hang two quarts of water (with or without additional seasonings in it) in a metal bowl above the heat. Maybe the steam from the water molifies the bitterness of the mesquite, because we have never detected it.

We usually use it or apple with baby back ribs, smoking them for three hours (turning once), and then putting them in a 200 degree F oven for an hour basting every fifteen minutes with Carolina Red Sauce. Try it, you'll love 'em.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:52 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:HI, Bob
I use wood in addition to charcoal. I only have a Webber and the high heat from all wood would incinerate my meats (and probably destroy the Webber). So, I start the coals in a chimney and add the woods just for the sake of flavor, not cooking. But the wood is an integral part of my grilling/smoking process. Using indirect heat, I put all charcoals on one side -- lay down the piece of wood I want to smoke with on the other, and put enough charcoals over the wood for it to set the fire. ( I do this while the charcoal is red hot, before you get that white "I'm ready" ash on the top ones. That way, by the time the wood is set, everything is ready to go.) Again, I allow a few minutes for the burn off (if needed), then set my meats on the grate. My woods are all fully cured so I don't worry too much about that pithy bitterness. The best site on the web for barbequeing woods of all types is at Barbeque Woods. They are having a pretty good sale right now, so this is a place to start if you want to experimenet a bit. If you don't smoke a lot, you might want to go in with a friend on the purchase to split the price. Eighteen pounds is going to get you a lot of wood -- and even with the cost of shipping, I think it's a great price. However, I also ask around at work and among friends who have fruit trees when they will be prunning or cutting down a tree. Start gathering and segregating in the fall and put away in a dry location. Next barbeque season you will be ready to go. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the reply Jo Ann, I am guessing that you have seen my rig and if not just check http://www.kamado.com and peek at it. I use mostly hardwood lump charcoal, not briquettes. For wood, I have been buying fireplace pieces from local sellers of firewood. I have used mostly hickory and apple, but oak is for sure available and cheaper than the hickory and apple. I pay 1 dollar per log for those, but I get at least 5 cooks from each chunk. It is ab out two feet long, and about 10 inches in diameter. so for $20 I got about 100 smoking loads. I soak the wood for 1 to 6 hours in water, and just throw it on top. I light the charcoal from underneath so the wood doesn't start to smoke until the fire is hot. I cook at a managed heat when I smoke, and manage it from 200 degrees to about 325, depending on what I am smoking. Today (even though it is raining) I am doing a slab of pork spareribs trimmed to the St. Louis style. Am think that a temp of 250 degrees and give them 5-6 hours the meat will be pulling away from the bone. I will use a baking potato and set the probe into it to let me know at any moment where the meat is in relation to internal temperature. I am thinking that with ribs, the hickory will do the best job. Good luck on all your kooks. BTW, if you go to the Kamado page there is a forum there that has some interesting reading too.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:12 pm

Bob,
Why not put www.kamado.com in your signature line? :D
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:32 pm

Now that is a thought Howie. I wonder if I could sneak that by Robin. :) If I did that maybe I could get the company to sell me a #3 at cost for the advertisement. LOL!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:28 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:I am guessing that you have seen my rig and if not just check http://www.kamado.com and peek at it.

Slobber, drool.

I hope one day to have the room to own such an excellent cooker. Until then, I can dream about it.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:06 pm

For wood, I have been buying fireplace pieces from local sellers of firewood.
Hi, Bob
That's a fancy piece of gear you have! A little rich for my blood, but Santa might have a windfall and ask me what I want for Xmas this year. I've got it on my list of wishes.
As for your wood selection -- is that straight, cured wood, or do you know whether it has been infused with something (like a fire starter)? Just a thought.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:45 pm

Big deal, Bob: you and your wussy Kamado. Now here's a real grill for he-men:

Charcoal optional.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:37 pm

It is just straight firewood Jo Ann. Being a bit more expensive it is kept under roof all the time. I was told by the vendor that it was one year cured. I never see any sign that it is in anyway green. No it has not been soaked in anything but water and I do that myself. I am even careful to not use things like Kingsford briquettes. I would probably cook everyday on my Kamado if SWMBO would allow it. I have probably 20 pounds of bone in pork loin in the freezer, plus at least three pork tenders. I love to roast whole chickens on it, they turn out so moist and delicious. I want to do a low and slow cooking of a whole ham taking at least 12 - 15 hours maintaining at <250 degrees of temp. I also want to corn a brisket and cook that on the Kamado, which I call "Hot Mama" :)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:20 am

I love to roast whole chickens on it, they turn out so moist and delicious. I want to do a low and slow cooking of a whole ham taking at least 12 - 15 hours maintaining at <250 degrees of temp. I also want to corn a brisket and cook that on the Kamado, which I call "Hot Mama"
A man after my own heart.
Do you ever brine your meats before smoking? Chickens are especially good after about 6-8 hrs -- A turkey 24-36 hrs -- and you can't beat it for smoked pork chops (with grits and eggs). I've done the whole fresh ham on the Webber, til the bone pulled out. I've done it both after brining (2 days) and just as a fresh pork shoulder without brining, which I use for pulled pork that I serve drenched in an Arkansas vinegar based barbeque sauce. But, tell me, can you Kimodo do this?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:59 pm

Jo Ann, I am not sure just what that thing is, but if it can be cooked, it can be cooked on the Kamado. I notice that the skin on it looks to be very brittle and dried out. Heck, the skin is the cooks treat!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:14 pm

It's a whole hog (50 lbs). Took 22 hrs to cook. We call the skin cracklin' -- and, indeed it did. The meat was succulent and it fed the neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:34 pm

I thought that it was a whole pig..I haven't done one, and may never but not because rthe K can't. It is because we would never get it eaten! I like your spunk in doing it though.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:21 am

I needed to do it for the experience (Labor Day, 2003). It was great, and definitely worth the investment of time and money. I don't need to do it again, but someday I will. I recommend it for anyone who considers themselves a barbeque afficionado. Nothing compares to the experience, the taste or the exhiliration. I have those brining and barbeque sauce recipes, if you like.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:28 am

Maria,
We have a Big Green Egg, similar to a Komodo. My husband makes incredible smoked ribs on it. THAT SAID---if he isn't around to light it up, or if I feel like the moist, fall-off-the-bone kind of ribs, I make this. Honestly, they are so easy, and so good you can't believe it. I found the recipe on Epicurious.

ANNABEL'S BABY BACK RIBS

Provide knives so your guests can slice the sections into individual ribs. Have lots of damp paper towels on hand.

3 racks of baby back ribs, 2 to 2 1/2 pounds each
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 to 2 cups Barbecue Sauce (I use Tony Romas brand that I buy in the grocery store)
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place ribs, meat-side up, on 2 baking sheets. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 30 minutes.

2. Brush 1/4 cup barbecue sauce over each rack of ribs; bake for 20 minutes. Brush another 1/4 cup sauce evenly among all 3 racks; bake 20 minutes more. Repeat, using 1/4 cup sauce among all 3 racks; bake for 30 minutes.

Carrie's note: At this point, I move them to a gas grille for the last fifteen minutes just to char them up a bit and give them a little "outdoor" flavor. Completely optional.

3. To serve, cut each rack into thirds and arrange on a large decorative platter. Moisten with a little warm barbecue sauce. Sprinkle with chopped parsley to garnish. Per serving: 690 calories, 14g carbohydrates, 47g protein, 49g fat, 195mg cholesterol.
Nutritional Breakdown: New Wellness, Richmond, Va.

Makes 8 servings.

Simply Delicious® by Sheila Lukins
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:26 pm

Carrie, the rib recipe sounds great. I have never cooked on a BGE, but I know that they are similar to the Kamado, except the walls are not as thick. My Kamado has a gas burner that fits in under the charcoal, so I light that and start the charcoal to going. All that takes is about three minutes. If I want to do streaks, I can get it up to 750 degrees in about 12 minutes. Aren't these wonderful machines?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:05 pm

Hi Bob,
Everyone says it's the best for making steaks. We haven't done that yet though! Will have to try. Maybe this week--I'll let you know what we think. Also, my husband has this special little electrical unit thing-y that he places into the real wood briquets and it lights them pretty quickly also. I'm just too lazy to go through that when he's not around.
We love the BGE. We're on our third one now. We keep having them built in and then we move. The new owners of our homes don't know how lucky they are! The current one is on wheels and we're keeping it that way. :wink:
Apparently the owner of the Kamodo company lives in our neighborhood in NC...so I guess we will be getting one of those this summer for that house.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:22 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Hi Bob,
Everyone says it's the best for making steaks. We haven't done that yet though! Will have to try. Maybe this week--I'll let you know what we think. Also, my husband has this special little electrical unit thing-y that he places into the real wood briquets and it lights them pretty quickly also. I'm just too lazy to go through that when he's not around.
We love the BGE. We're on our third one now. We keep having them built in and then we move. The new owners of our homes don't know how lucky they are! The current one is on wheels and we're keeping it that way. :wink:
Apparently the owner of the Kamodo company lives in our neighborhood in NC...so I guess we will be getting one of those this summer for that house.

Carrie, it really is not hard to do, and if I didn't have the gas burner I would get a propane weed burner to light the charcoal with. But of course you know yourself and any limits attached.

About the owner of the Kamado company, his name is Richard Johnson and he lives in Ensenada Mexico where the factory is located. Richard has been making the Kamado since the 1960's and he keeps on improving them. Mine is my first and I "ain't" moving off and leaving it! :)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:10 am

My bad...I was thinking of the Primo Smoker Co. Which is like the BGE, but oval shaped.
I was just on the Kamodo website. They look like works of art!
Previous