Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Music and dinner review - Chez Axel - Saturday night - Albuquerque

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Music and dinner review - Chez Axel - Saturday night - Albuquerque

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:07 am

We had a delightful evening at Chez Axel tonight.

I realized belatedly that I should have made the reservation under my dining companion's name, because apparently Larry had forewarned the owner and staff that I was coming in. Normally I wouldn't have made a reservation at all, but I was worried about being able to get a table because I know that the groupies are a real problem to contend with when Larry is playing piano.

And no wonder! He is a wonderfully charming man with a light and sensitive touch on the keys. He is equally at home playing standards, pop, or classical numbers. All the pieces were beautifully rendered and just the right volume and style for a restaurant. Excellent selections and presentation! He should definitely be hired for longer on Saturday nights, because he is a real draw. (I can't wait to hear him do some honky tonk or stride piano some night in a different setting!)

At first, I was barely able to get close to him because the bodyguards were keeping all the teeny boppers well back so he wouldn't be hassled while he played.

Facially, he reminded me of someone, but I couldn't quite put my finger on who.....

I realized something was up when the owner of the place, Stevie Springer, came out and introduced himself to us and spent several minutes in conversation. By then I figured Larry knew who I was, even though I had hoped to be incognito. I wasn't even sure I'd have the courage to introduce myself to someone as famous as he is, but by then it was too late! Our server brought over a paper bag and told me it was from Larry.

Peeking inside I almost couldn't believe that I was the lucky recipient of a loaf of Larry's fabulous, world-renowned bread!

Isn't it beautiful? Being the selfish wench I am, I brought the entire loaf home, leaving none with my poor put-upon dining companion.

One of the best moments of the evening was when Stevie came out and sang Edelweiss while Larry accompanied him on piano. It was truly, truly beautiful. (Go here for information on Stevie's other passion!)

Ah yes. Dinner. You'll have to forgive my shoddy tasting notes as I was completely star struck by sitting across from Larry!

We started with a nice Côtes du Rhône and sipped while we listened to Larry finish his set. It turned out that he should have finished just as we arrived, but he very sweetly kept playing just so I could hear him.

We ordered French onion soup for a starter and it was lovely.... rich and fragrant, with sherry and tarragon notes. Delicious!

Happily, just about then Larry was able to come over and join us for dinner. Larry and I ordered the Beef Bourguignon a l'orange, which was served with rice and broccoli. It was excellent! My original dining companion ordered the Veal Cordon Bleu and pronounced it excellent as well.

The baguette and herbed butter were also lovely. (Yes, I am a sucker for a good herbed butter......)

Since we had had the last bottle of the Côtes du Rhône, we switched to a Châteauneuf du Pape which went quite well with our entrees.

One thing I really appreciated was that April, our server, was quite well versed in wine service. Nothing aggravates me more (or almost nothing) than to have a young, untrained server treat a nice bottle of wine like it's iced tea or soda pop. No worries at Chez Axel! Both times we've been there the wine service has been very good.

Larry and my dining companion elected to have the special strawberry cake for dessert, while I chose the Banana Flambéed au Rum, which was delicious!

We all had coffee as well, and it was very good. This is important to me... I hate to end an otherwise excellent meal with inferior coffee. That is no problem here.

I can see why Larry is pleased to be playing there. The food and service are great, the atmosphere is very nice, the staff and owner are quite personable without being intrusive, and the prices are reasonable for the quality of the dishes.

Altogether a wonderful evening, and of course, the highlight was meeting Larry.

I shall report on the bread tomorrow!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Music and dinner review - Chez Axel - Saturday night - Albuquerque

by Howie Hart » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:12 am

Very very cool! 8) 8) 8)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Sounds like a great evening! And the bread looks fantastic.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:18 pm

Definitely not Kurt Vonnegut. In fact, more like Kurt Vonnegut's worst nightmare!

Wonderful report, I giggled all the way through.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:47 pm

Great post, Cynthia, thanks. Very, very funny. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:52 pm

How fun! Looks like it was a great time and the bread looks wonderful! I really enjoyed the post.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:55 pm

Cynthia, where do I mail my PR check?