Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do any kitchen chores aggravate you?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

Re: Do any kitchen chores aggravate you?

by Martha Mc » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:13 am

I don't have a problem with the dishwasher any more now that recently retired MrMc has been doing all the the dishes by hand. He hates the residual taste and smell of dishwashing detergent which is always left behind from the dishwasher. He says he does a far better job at rinsing.(The dishwasher never does as good a job at polishing glasses as MrMc does either.)
So, the main chore left that I really hate to do, besides cleaning the fridge, is putting away the groceries after shopping. Don't know why. I get the refrigerated items put away immediately, but will leave canned goods sitting on the floor in the bags for days. The cats love playing in the bags, so that's my excuse.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:11 pm

MikeH wrote:To all of you who posted that you hate unloading the dishwasher:

A problem easily solved. Remove the dishwasher!!! Do the dishes by hand like your mom (or grandma or some other ancestor) then dry with a towel and put away. Presto! Dishwasher emptying is a thing of the past! A chore eliminated by the simple application of a little Ludditism. :P

Amen, Mike.

I'm one of them Luddites :) You see, I have never owned a dishwasher and I don't plan to ever buy one. Everytime I visit someone who has one, they seem like more trouble than they're worth. You still have to pre-soak the dishes before you put them in, so I don't see the advantage unless one is cooking for like 40 people or more ...
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed May 02, 2007 4:36 pm

Way late to the bandwagon here, but I'm with all of you who hate to unload the dishwasher. We have two, so most of the time, it's actually twice the chore--usually because I forget to turn the full one on, so we load the other and run them simultaneously. The part I hate about unloading it is that it's seems very regimented. Everything has it's own little residence, and it could be anywhere in the kitchen. Tongs in one drawer, silverware in another. Coffee mugs in one cabinet, plates in another. Oh and let's not forget the food processor components that have to go all the way to the pantry... sigh...

Funny story...My husband whom I love dearly, definitely thinks dishes are "women's work." (How the heck I ended up with someone who thinks this way, I'll never know, but as I said, I love him dearly...)
Well, frequently he will actually load the dishwasher for me after dinner. But before we had two of them, he had a little ploy. He'd fill it up first with big pots, pans and mixing bowls and then say, "Oh, it's full. The rest will have to wait until tomorrow."--knowing full well he'd be heading to the golf course without ever "seeing" the full sink before he left.

Right up there with despising unloading the dishwasher is cleaning the garlic press. Oh what a pain to get that smelly, sticky wad of garlic out of there before putting in the dishwasher. The little cleaning attachment that you poke through the holes is pretty much worthless in my book.
Previous