Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Zinfandel & Pasta?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Chouiniere

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:54 pm

Sacramento, CA

Zinfandel & Pasta?

by Dave Chouiniere » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:42 pm

Someone recently told me that Zinfandel makes a good paring with pasta, especially when spicy sausage is part of the sauce. I would not have thought this was a good paring. Does anyone agree with my friend?

I know the only way to know is to try for myself, but I'm curious if anyone has tried and liked it. If so, what Zinfandel do you suggest?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Zinfandel & Pasta?

by Jenise » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:54 pm

Dave, I absolutely agree. Zinfandel can basically stand up to just about anything, and the only caveat I'd make is that we're talking honest zinfandel here and not the low-acid, high alcohol monster styles that have become popular in recent years. Seeing that you hail from Sacramento--no problem! You're next door to the best zinfandel country in California from my point of view, right there in Amador. Local producer J. Runquist even makes a primitivo, zinfandel's close Italian cousin. I haven't tried it, but I have a bottle in the cellar and it's going to get served with just that kind of dish. Try any zinfandel you please, but keep your eye on the alcohol level printted on the bottle. The closer to 14% or under, the better the food match (imho).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave Chouiniere

Rank

Cellar rat

Sacramento, CA

by Dave Chouiniere » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:10 pm

Thanks for your comments, Jenise!

I also have a primitivo in my "cellar" (actually my closet.) I have been waiting to try it and now I might kill two birds with one stone (meal, actually.)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:06 pm

What Jenise said. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:48 pm

Doug, I am going to agree with Jenise (who would have thunk it) but I would like to place more emphasis on the lower alcohol style of zin. Two of my favorite zins on all of California is the Nalle zinfandel from Dry Creek Valley. And then a little known zin from Edmunds St. Johns winery. This one will be a little harder to find, but if you find it, buy all they have. For many years and maybe still (Please don't tell Steve Edmunds) but the Nalle is still my favorite. The Nalle is a zin that I often refer to as feminine in nature. It is reasonable in ripeness and alcohol, and it is not so heavy on the tongue, I think it to be a medium bodied wine that will age very well regardless of some, more learned than I, who swear that zin does not age. If you see this one aty less that $25 get a case of it too;
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:06 pm

I'm with Jenise. Zin is the red I pick when I can't decide -- and at my age that's pretty often!

Zin and pasta is a match made, well, maybe not in heaven, but certainly in Grandma's kitchen.

For a less expensive zin, look at Dry Creek Vineyards "Heritage" Zinfandel.

And if Zin seems too ripe and smooth for what you're thinking about, think of a Petite Sirah, for instance Foppiano.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:05 am

Welcome from another Sacramentan, Dave!

Otherwise, I can only agree with the rest of the folks here. A good zin that's not too over-the-top in alcohol is great with pasta and red sauce.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dave Chouiniere

Rank

Cellar rat

Sacramento, CA

by Dave Chouiniere » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:16 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Welcome from another Sacramentan, Dave!....

Thanks, Mike.

Do you know about the "Midtown Winers" group that meets in downtown the first Tuesday of each month? I have only been able to make one in the last four months, but I'm planning on going to the one on May 1st. It's a broad theme, Italian wine, but I'm really looking forward to it.

If you are interested, let me know and I'll give you more information off line.
no avatar
User

Dave Chouiniere

Rank

Cellar rat

Sacramento, CA

by Dave Chouiniere » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:55 am

Last night I finally tried the zinfandel & pasta combination. Well, actually it was a Primitivo from Italy - 2003 A Mano, 14.5% alcohol. The pasta had a tomato based sauce flavored with cloves and bay leaves (not exactly spicy, but very good!) We usually drink Merlot with this meal and my wife adds some wine to the sauce after it has cooked for several hours. Last night, she used the Primitivo instead.

The paring was very nice. The Primitivo may have been a little past its prime because it was not as strong as Zinfandels I've had. It may be that this is just the style of Primitivo made in Italy. I enjoyed the Zinfandel flavor with the pasta sauce.

By the way, I also tried a couple of sips of tempranillo I had remaining from the previous nights bottle. I'll stick with the Zinfandel/Primitivo for pasta!

By the way, does anyone have a recommendation for Primitivo?
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:31 pm

The only primitivo I've had was pretty zin-like, but I can recommend it for sure. It's "A Mano," and it has pretty wide distribution, at least in CA. It's $10 at Bevmo, but I've also seen it at Costco. Interesting iodine note is the only thing that distinguishes it from CA zin, in my opinion.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:07 pm

Dave Chouiniere wrote:By the way, does anyone have a recommendation for Primitivo?

%^)

The Primitivo from Rabbit Ridge is outstanding for it's price-point of bewtween $10 and $12 ...

Just my $0.02 ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:06 am

Dave Chouiniere wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Welcome from another Sacramentan, Dave!....

Thanks, Mike.

Do you know about the "Midtown Winers" group that meets in downtown the first Tuesday of each month? I have only been able to make one in the last four months, but I'm planning on going to the one on May 1st. It's a broad theme, Italian wine, but I'm really looking forward to it.

If you are interested, let me know and I'll give you more information off line.

Dave -

Somehow, I missed your post on Friday. I am not familiar with this group. Is it basically an open tasting group?

That's certainly a theme I'd be interested in!

Thanks,

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dave Chouiniere

Rank

Cellar rat

Sacramento, CA

by Dave Chouiniere » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:59 pm

[quote="Mike FiligenziSomehow, I missed your post on Friday. I am not familiar with this group. Is it basically an open tasting group?

That's certainly a theme I'd be interested in![/quote]

If by open tasting group you mean people bring whatever they choose that meets the theme of the month, then yes. May's theme is Northern Italy. The group is open to anyone interested.

If by open tasting group you mean bring any wine, then no, we have a monthly theme.