Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

McDonald's

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: McDonald's

by Peter May » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:18 am

Ian Sutton wrote: Personally I'd have been a bit put out by the wording "Sausage is over". What sort of code is that? What do they mean by "over"? Is it that (as implied) they stopped serving it after a certain time. Why not say "I'm sorry we've just run out of sausage, can I get you something else?". It strikes me as rude, but perhaps no more than I'd expect from a drive-through McDonalds.
regards
Ian

Well, Ian. Its a different country, different language. I wouldn't expect RP.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:18 pm

A travel writer in the SF Chron today announced that he thought there should be a consitutionally protected right for Americans to use the bathrooms at McDonalds, free of charge and no purchase required, anywhere in the world.

I think the measure would pass (especially when my wife is walking down the Champs Elysees during our usual Paris Death Walk).
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:49 pm

Hoke wrote:A travel writer in the SF Chron today announced that he thought there should be a consitutionally protected right for Americans to use the bathrooms at McDonalds, free of charge and no purchase required, anywhere in the world.

I think the measure would pass (especially when my wife is walking down the Champs Elysees during our usual Paris Death Walk).

You mean Hamilton and Madison didn't get this one in? Geez, those guys were asleep at the wheel. Next you're going to tell me I don't have a constitutional right to demand that everyone in the world speak English!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:33 pm

Next you're going to tell me I don't have a constitutional right to demand that everyone in the world speak English!

Nah, I think you're okay on that one, James. It's pretty well understood. Now we have to figure out how to get everyone to speak American instead of that quaint old English version that used to be so prevalent.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:01 pm

Hoke wrote:
Next you're going to tell me I don't have a constitutional right to demand that everyone in the world speak English!

Nah, I think you're okay on that one, James. It's pretty well understood. Now we have to figure out how to get everyone to speak American instead of that quaint old English version that used to be so prevalent.

Whew! I thought for a second there you were going to tell me they didn't speak English in Paris. I can get by with the quaint French accent, but I can't understand all that poorly spoken Latin dialect.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:05 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
Hoke wrote:A travel writer in the SF Chron today announced that he thought there should be a consitutionally protected right for Americans to use the bathrooms at McDonalds, free of charge and no purchase required, anywhere in the world.

You mean Hamilton and Madison didn't get this one in? Geez, those guys were asleep at the wheel. Next you're going to tell me I don't have a constitutional right to demand that everyone in the world speak English!

Or a similar right to use dollars in whichever country is visited (not a dig at Americans, just one particular lady - see below).

I recall catching the Amsterdam airport shuttle bus and this lady got on and tried to pay in dollars. The driver explained he could only take Euro's. I was considering giving the lady the Euro's she needed, as she seemed a little stressed... until she described the Holland as a "two bit country" because they wouldn't take dollars "hell even South America accepts dollars" she said. I instead figured the walk to the Bureau de Change and having to catch the following shuttle bus would allow her some time to reflect.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Poor customer service for an airport service.

They could have accepted USD at 0.50 EUR

I accept USD, EUR, YEN ...... (at my exchange rates)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:23 am

until she described the Holland as a "two bit country" because they wouldn't take dollars "hell even South America accepts dollars" she said.
I think I know her. Matter of fact, I think I might be related to her. Was she a short grey-haired lady, about 5'4"......
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:22 am

Peter May wrote:
Jenise wrote: "I know, but we're OUT of sausage. You have to order something else."

What am I missing here? They ran out of a product, all restuarants run out sometimes, or is what upset you is that they didn't apologise?

Peter, you're not thinking. No, all restaurants do not run out sometimes. When you're McDonalds, and you only make two things, you don't run out of your principal ingredients. And 'upset' is too strong a word. I was irritated at having gotten off the freeway for nothing and amused by the clerk's language. I'm sure Anne and I will find myriad ways to use "sausage is over" in the future, and we'll howl every time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:11 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
until she described the Holland as a "two bit country" because they wouldn't take dollars "hell even South America accepts dollars" she said.
I think I know her. Matter of fact, I think I might be related to her. Was she a short grey-haired lady, about 5'4"......

Nope, definitely not (at least this time :wink: )
no avatar
User

Trudy Schaefer

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:56 am

Denver, Colorado

by Trudy Schaefer » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:28 pm

Randy,
I think you nailed it there. I believe the staff at McDonalds tends to be kids working at the job for a period of time as a means to something else. I don't think we can expect much in the way of customer service standards. If their boss isn't looking, what do they care how they treat the customer? All pays the same to them.

I remind my husband when he gets perturbed with some of the treatment we get at low-cost places that we don't get to expect fine-dining service levels when we're paying 5 bucks for a whole meal. :wink:

And then I'll go on to admit that McDonald's fries and a Big Mac are my indulgence when I want to be bad. I'm ashamed of how much I enjoy their stupid fries. :oops:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:39 pm

What's funny about this is that where I come from we call it "Chez Macs" as if it were an upscale French restaurant.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:47 pm

Warren Edwardes wrote:Poor customer service for an airport service.

They could have accepted USD at 0.50 EUR

I accept USD, EUR, YEN ...... (at my exchange rates)

Back in 1977 I visited Trinidad & Tabago. I was instructed to switch all my cash to the local currency, which I did. During the 2-week period I was there, the local currency changed from being pegged with the UK Pound to the US Dollar and the value of the currency went up so much that when I traded what money I had left back in before I left, the entire visit ended up being free. 8)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:25 am

When in Hawaii I go to McDonalds all the time for breakfast. Get the Spam, scambled eggs, and rice plate. Even comes with fresh pineapple.
Previous