Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Rant: My favorite meat counter has downgraded! Argh

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Steven Noess

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Minneapolis, MN USA

Rant: My favorite meat counter has downgraded! Argh

by Steven Noess » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:49 pm

There is a relatively upscale supermarket near my house and they sell their own line of dry aged "prime" grade beef...Every once in a while I like to splurge and get a great bone-in ribeye that can usually only be found at the better steakhouses....I was there the other night for one such purchase and noticed that the prices seemed a bit lower than they used to....everything in the dry-aged counter has now changed to "choice" grade instead of "prime." So frustrating!

Well, I guess I just need to search out a good old-fashioned butcher shop, but not sure where to look. Oh well. Rant over. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Rant: My favorite meat counter has downgraded! Argh

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:43 pm

Ouch!!!

It's an occasion for mourning when a good meat counter gives up.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:41 pm

Steven, that's sad. I hope you made your dismay known.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:16 pm

Finding a place that sells "prime" beef across the counter is rare, and has been for 30 or more years. Finding a place that sells dry aged "prime" is almost unheard of. I hope you let them know that you are in mourning over their downgrading. Maybe they can and will get special orders of "prime" and dry age it for you as needed.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Steven Noess

Rank

Wine geek

Minneapolis, MN USA

by Steven Noess » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:08 pm

I talked to the butcher today and found out why they stopped carrying "prime" dry-aged beef...He said that the prices had just gone up for their supply and that they were noticing a declining trend by customers to buy their dry-aged cuts in the first place. They made a business decision to stop carrying it altogehter in light of those two reasons and hope that the cheaper price of the "choice" cuts will actually increase overall sales (their "prime" dry-aged bone-in ribeyes were $19.99/lb and were about to increase to $24, he said. The "choice" version they carry now is $16.99/lb).

Well, I completely understand the decision from a business point of view...but I'm still not happy about it. :cry:

I even researched a bit for specialty butcher shops in my area and they predominantly use "choice" for their dry-aged lines as well...I guess my days of attempting to emulate the top steakhouses are over!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:50 pm

Steve, I live in Lexington, Ky. and while that is not nearly as large as MSP, but we have exactly one shop that does dry aged beef, and that is choice. I don't even know if he could get prime if he so desired. I know for sure that I couldn't afford it if he did.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:34 pm

I just finished some writing about USDA prime and dry v. wet aging...only 2 to 4 percent of the beef sold is USDA prime...That surprised me...

b
no avatar
User

Steven Noess

Rank

Wine geek

Minneapolis, MN USA

by Steven Noess » Thu May 03, 2007 4:48 pm

Well, I guess I can always order the new Trump Steaks from The Donald himself, which apparently are not only USDA Prime, but Certified Angus Beef Brand Prime and claimed to represent less than 1% of all beef....but it doesn't appear to be dry aged, so a waste of an incredibly large amount of money, in my opinion.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu May 03, 2007 5:37 pm

Steven Noess wrote:Well, I guess I can always order the new Trump Steaks from The Donald himself, which apparently are not only USDA Prime, but Certified Angus Beef Brand Prime and claimed to represent less than 1% of all beef....but it doesn't appear to be dry aged, so a waste of an incredibly large amount of money, in my opinion.

Pretty funny Steve. Now if only Rosie would put The Donald out of his (and her) misery, the world could get back to being better. IMO of course.
Bob Henrick