Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What regional cuisine do you miss?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Where do you live?

In the same region where I spent my childhood
58%
In a different part of the country than where I spent my childhood
21%
In a different country than where I spent my childhood
11%
I moved many times during my childhood
11%

Total votes : 19
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

RCP: Scrapple

by Larry Greenly » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:14 am

Here you go, Bob. I lifted my recipe from the old FLDG. This recipe will change people's opinion about scrapple. I'm a scrapple/ketchup guy, but some like it with maple syrup. Also good accompanied with fried mush (polenta) and maple syrup.

SCRAPPLE

Put in a deep pan:

1 lb pork (inexpensive bony cut [I usually use pork sirloin])
2 fresh pigs feet
1 qt boiling water
2 tsp salt

Cover pan, reduce heat and cook until meat drops from bones. Strain the broth into a large double boiler top. [I cut off the fat now.] Grind the meat. Stir into broth.

Add 2/3 cup corn meal. Cook and stir over direct heat for 5 minutes.

Add the meat and 2 Tbs chopped onion.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Cook over boiling water for 1 hour.

Pack into a small loaf pan rinsed with cold water. Chill overnight in refrigerator.

To fry:

Cut scrapple in slices 1/2" think. Saute in oil until outside crisp and brown.
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: What regional cuisine do you miss?

by TimMc » Wed May 02, 2007 8:26 pm

I voted the same region....lived in California all of my life.

I miss Greek and Mediterranean dishes. Not much of that available in my neck o'the woods; more so when I lived in the LA/OC area.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed May 02, 2007 11:54 pm

Carl K wrote:If you consider Ky to be a Southern State (I do, but I do know some who do not), then I am once again living in at least a similar region to where I grew up (assuming that you count the first 14 years of your life growing up). However there are many things I miss from Pittsburgh; things like Pizza subs, Primanti Brothers, good perogi's, "Hunky Hand Grenades" (stuffed cabage), cheese steaks, fried provolone, and good Italian restaurants on every other street corner just to name a few.

Carl, you must be younger than me coz Primanti Brothers had not even started when I moved away. I had forgotten the "Hunky Hand Grenades" mainly coz I can still get those via my mother-in-law.

Sitting here in Cincinnati, a veritable wasteland on the Italian front, I know what you mean. Pittsburgh has Italian restaurants and pizza joints everywhere, not just in the Italo-centric Bloomfield and Penn Hills neighborhoods, but also in the other ethnic areas!! We always get much pizza when we visit the 'burgh including some for the ride home!
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Thu May 03, 2007 9:04 am

MikeH wrote:Carl, you must be younger than me coz Primanti Brothers had not even started when I moved away.

Hey Mike:
Moved to the Burgh from Lexington in '76 when I was 14. Though I was under the impression that the original Primanti Brothers in the Strip District had opened up in the 60's. Could easily be wrong though! :D Rarely get back any more (too far to drive from Charleston since I don't have many relatives there since my Uncle passed away a few years ago), but if I did, I'd be buying the pizzas and other goodies every trip. Hope to take a trip out towards Lancaster and York next summer. Dad was a huge train nut, and even though he died before my son was born, he still somehow or other managed to infect him with the train bug. Definately will have to stop in Pittsburgh for at least a day or two when we do go.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu May 03, 2007 7:27 pm

I voted for "Where I spent my childhood." I did grow up in NJ (where I live now) but I also spent my summers in Cape Cod, MA. My brothers and I would go crabbing everyday and pull up fresh quahogs from the bay. We would boil the crabs and eat the quahogs on the half shell with some tabasco or make a delicious linguini with clam sauce that was out of this world! We dug for steamers that my grandparents would steam later and serve with butter. We used to catch our own scallops, fluke, and eel. The scallops my grandfather would dredge in smashed ritz crackers and deep fry, the fluke was breaded in Italian bread crumbs and pan fried, and the eel was grilled to perfection. It was so yummy and I really miss not only having really fresh seafood everyday, but catching and cooking it ourselves.

I have lived in several other cities. I lived in Boston for many yrs and the only thing I missed there was Taylor ham and diners.

When I lived in Chicago I missed so much NJ food...like our pizza, bagels, Italian food, chinese food, seafood, and the diners with taylor ham of course.

I do sometimes miss good ribs, thai food, and mexican food that I got in Chicago...on a rare occasion I will long for a deep dish pizza or a hot dog covered in "salad" or some good german food...but in general, there is no place like home!!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu May 03, 2007 7:54 pm

Maria, you do not live THAT far from Philadelphia. There are plenty of good German restaurants down there. Just don't try to find them in Germantown. LOL! (The abbreviations are for Paulo!) :lol:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 03, 2007 7:56 pm

Oh my gosh, I remember this dish that my aunt used to make. It was awesome. Do you have a written recipe? Thanks for reminding me of this. I have not heard of it since I married and left home. Oh yum!
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Sat May 05, 2007 11:03 pm

I've moved around quite a bit, both growing up and in adulthood. Born in Southern California in a Japanese-American family. Miss lots of the ethnic food I grew up with. Lived in New Orleans for 5 years. Miss the food terribly. Lived in Turkey for a couple of years. Miss that food also. Lived in Northern Italy for a few years as well. Really miss that.
Previous