Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Halibut heaven

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Halibut heaven

by Jenise » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:33 pm

A friend of mine was out in the islands on Sunday, and a native Indian fishermen was on a small island dock with a halibut he'd just caught. It was so fresh it was still flapping. He cut off a big hunk and gave it to her. Like me, she's a former Alaskan, and she knows that I know that really fresh halibut is the best fish in the whole world. So she split it with me in a unique way: she had us over for a halibut dinner Monday night, then sent me home with a big hunk to prepare another way for the four of us the next night.

It's been years since I've had halibut that fresh, and boy do I miss it. They can put that fish on a plane and take it to Los Angeles or New York or Louisville and call it "fresh Alaskan", but by the time it's been superchilled and passed through so many chains of custody to get to you there, the quality's been reduced by two thirds. There's so-called fresh, and then there's just-caught fresh, and the difference in both taste and texture is enormous. I've even bought fresh local halibut here in the store, but never once has it matched what I remember from Alaska. But this did. Finally, this did.

Must find more.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Halibut heaven

by Bob Henrick » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:23 pm

Is it possible to catch your own halibut out there? that might turn in to a great way to spend a day from time to time, and provide yourself with what you crave too.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:47 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Is it possible to catch your own halibut out there? that might turn in to a great way to spend a day from time to time, and provide yourself with what you crave too.

I believe the halibut is fairly deep water (we never see them when Scuba diving, anyway) and so you'd have to long-line it.

A lot of work to get your 'sole food'. although you might want to try it just for the halibut if you could find the right plaice...help me, I'm floundering around here....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:26 pm

Better watch it with the puns, Bill, people will tuna you out. But that's what I understand too about halibut, in fact a boat guy in Portland last week was talking about his favorite "halibut hole" which was 60 miles out. They have to sink their lines like 300 feet. I've been told it's like fishing for refrigerators.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:16 pm

I knew that halibut was a flat kind of deep water, but I thought this native guy on the island had caught one, and given someone a chunk of it. So, I figured that maybe sometimes they come into shallow water and ask you to catch them to satisfy your jones.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:24 pm

Bob, I don't think the native lived on the island, but rather brought his fish there to butcher and sell. Must not have come from too far if it was still flapping. Maybe he's got a close-in hole? None of my fishing-crazy neighbors has ever bragged of catching one, though--lots of salmon, etc, but no halibut.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:27 pm

I agree with you...that a "fresh" fish has to be put out of his misery by the one who is going to cook and eat it. Otherwise it is just someone's word about the freshness. And if it smells fishy, it isn't fresh.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:22 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. Another fish that is just outstanding fresh, but lacks substance after being frozen is ling cod, especially green ling.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:24 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:I wholeheartedly agree. Another fish that is just outstanding fresh, but lacks substance after being frozen is ling cod, especially green ling.

Yup, used to whack 'em mercilessly - a case of 'batter up' as soon as we got them home. Still have my speargun, but got out of the killer mood years ago and switched to underwater photography.

I also used to spear fish in Hawaii, whack them on the head, carve off a slice and eat it as sashimi at the side of the ocean - you can't get fresher than that!