Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Saturday night: What's for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Saturday night: What's for dinner?

by Jenise » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:22 pm

Here at Chez J, it's charcrute. But with a twist: I've long had this idea for an Asian-influenced Charcrute using Chinese sausage, which I love, and star anise for seasoning. So there I was shopping in Canada yesterday on my way home from lunch whereupon I spied a jar of really good looking wine sauerkraut. Too, pork is particularly excellent in Canada, and it's legal for border crossing. I already have the sausage, so it's a go.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Saturday night: What's for dinner?

by James Roscoe » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:27 pm

The Roscoe clan is hosting the wonderful Mr. Howie Hart and friend Larry for lunch tomorrow. Probably some kind of grilled beef on the grill with asperagus and potato salad. Mmmmmm....... Keep it simple.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:35 pm

Since it's Saturday, I will be making pizza as usual. I've been invited to a neighbor's for a fondue party tonight, but it's with their visiting relatives and I'm not sure I have the psychic energy for my relatives, let alone someone else's!

Also potentially on the docket this weekend: rye bread, peanut butter cookies, fried rice, hot and sour soup, and maybe a pineapple-mango upside down cake.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:35 pm

A challenge here tonight: I went over to our big farmer's market this morning in search of local produce and got some fine young asparagus, which will certainly play a role. I also found a guy selling locally produced, natural lamb chops, which I had to have, but he was down to his last two chops. I got them, of course, but this is going to be an exercise in frustration: Just two little bites each, and they're gone.

So I'm trying to figure out a dinner menu that will let the little baby chops be star of the show but still not leave us hungry. An asparagus risotto, maybe, or some kind of pasta dish involving fresh spring asparagus, with the chops almost as a garnish? Or even a souffle with asparagus? Any of those will work, but I'm hoping for an even more exciting inspiration. Anybody want to help me think? ;)
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:43 pm

A good friend of mine made sausages today. He makes them from true intestines/guts of x-animal. These sausages taste nothing like the cheap shite stuff from fast-food stalls. The sausages are meaty and spicy, like true Chorizo. Until I got acquainted with my friend's culinary skills, I would never have thought that sausage could a great culinary treat. But it can be.

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:48 pm

Love the risotto idea. An asparagus risotto would be terrifico, in fact, with the lamb, but I'd also be tempted to get the extra mileage out of the lamb flavor by pan frying the little guys in a little butter, then making a quick pan sauce with shallots, wine, broth and fresh mint. Set the lamb on the risotto, then drizzle the sauce over all. Garnish with a fresh mint leaf. Mint is a nice accent for asparagus and it would really tie the two parts together.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:51 pm

Jenise is a great cook and has a great idea Robin. She is a true gourmet. I, on the other hand, as a true gourmand, would go out and get some grocery store lamb chops so I had enough to eat! :P
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:27 pm

Butternut squash/assorted veggies ravioli's with a sage enhanced marinara sauce, and fresh artichokes from the Farmer's Market. I also cut up a pork butt and have it marinating in fresh garlic, oregano, bay leaves, EVOO, black pepper, overnight. Will finish with the cooking in a lime based sauce tomorrow for carnitas. Yum!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:27 pm

would go out and get some grocery store lamb chops so I had enough to eat!

I am with you James. seems a waste of time and effort to do two little 2-bite chops. I wish my wife liked lamb!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:36 pm

Jenise wrote:Love the risotto idea. An asparagus risotto would be terrifico, in fact, with the lamb, but I'd also be tempted to get the extra mileage out of the lamb flavor by pan frying the little guys in a little butter, then making a quick pan sauce with shallots, wine, broth and fresh mint. Set the lamb on the risotto, then drizzle the sauce over all. Garnish with a fresh mint leaf. Mint is a nice accent for asparagus and it would really tie the two parts together.

Ahh, some really interesting ideas here, thanks! Your pan-sauce idea brings us right back to the concept you and I were talking about just the other day with our orzo recipes, too ... retaining and reusing saute flavors to concentrate and highlight a dish. I think we may be on to something here ...

Mint, I'll see. I like it, but we're veering somewhat close to Mary's disdain for mixing sweet and savory flavors here ...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:38 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I, on the other hand, as a true gourmand, would go out and get some grocery store lamb chops so I had enough to eat! :P

My Inner Glutton feels (and shares) your pain, but it would be a mistake to pollute these beautiful natural chops by serving them on the same plate with cheap grocery-store lamb. I'm tempted, but I think I'll stick with my original plan to let them be a little treat that garnishes a dish with plenty of good asparagus and rice or pasta. I'll definitely go somewhere with Jenise's pan-sauce idea, too.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:24 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:I, on the other hand, as a true gourmand, would go out and get some grocery store lamb chops so I had enough to eat! :P

My Inner Glutton feels (and shares) your pain, but it would be a mistake to pollute these beautiful natural chops by serving them on the same plate with cheap grocery-store lamb. I'm tempted, but I think I'll stick with my original plan to let them be a little treat that garnishes a dish with plenty of good asparagus and rice or pasta. I'll definitely go somewhere with Jenise's pan-sauce idea, too.

Are you choosing Quality over quanity? Make sure there is plenty of dessert, although I am of the opinion that dessert never makes up for a paltry main course. My inner gluton has become one with my outer glutton I am afraid.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:05 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Are you choosing Quality over quanity?

Quality, "food miles," supporting local farmers and enjoying natural, humanely treated, no-hormones-added meat. These are all good things, and worth both a little additional expense and the frustration that comes with only having a little taste.

Make sure there is plenty of dessert, although I am of the opinion that dessert never makes up for a paltry main course. My inner gluton has become one with my outer glutton I am afraid.

We don't really do much in the way of dessert, but I'm leaning toward the risotto option with some of the excellent tweaks that Jenise suggested. I'm thinking maybe a little sumac in addition to the mint to get a kind of Iranian vibe going on.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:27 pm

Well, I'm hosting a brunch tomorrow for some friends, and for that I'm making a chicken pecan tart with red pepper jelly, along with salad, banana bread and assorted sweets. Tomorrow evening I'm attending a couples' wedding shower for which the guest are all bringing appetizers, so curry chicken salad on endive leaves will be made for that. So, to accomplish all of that, I bought an abundance of bone in, skin-on chicken breasts. For our dinner tonight, I'll just roast some of those with a parmesan artichoke heart concoction spread on top to get nice and toasty brown. That should work along with some steamed french green beans and salad.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:42 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Mint, I'll see. I like it, but we're veering somewhat close to Mary's disdain for mixing sweet and savory flavors here ...

But mint is savory! Wonderfully so. Just don't get near it with any sugar. :)

Btw, I was like Mary and didn't want mint anywhere near my lamb until I had rack of lamb served with a brown sauce that contained bits of fresh mint leaves--changed me for good, it did.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:44 pm

Clever cook, Carrie: Cook the chicken once and you have two meals tomorrow half made. Tell us more about the chicken pecan tart, though, that sounds unlike anything I know and quite intriguing.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:44 pm

Just a simple little international repast of New England Clam Chowder, Shrimp Louis, Blanquette de Veau, Risotto alla Milanese and Cranberry Sabayon with fresh raspberries.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:22 pm

Robin, you might (ahem) try the asparagus and chevre pizza I posted a couple weeks back. Otherwise, some sort of tart would seem right.

We're doing the pizza tomorrow; tonight it's asparagus Szechuan style, stir-fried bean sprouts and snap peas, and mock chicken with cashews.
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:14 pm

Trying out a new grill with a rack of beef short ribs tonight (well, okay; the grill's not so new. I got it last fall on a close out sale for $20.00, but it's never seen ribs before tonight). I normally use a smoker grill for ribs and the like, but my smoker finally died of old age so we'll have to see how this Weber wanna-be does. I'm doing corn on the cob and fresh asparagus directly over the coals with the ribs on the other side from them. Should be just about done now, so we'll see if the grill is good enough or if I'll need to go out and buy another smoker.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:25 pm

Carole is cooking beef bourguignon. Now I have to find a suitable wine. Maybe an old Panther Creek?
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:31 pm

Hi, guys. Long time...you all are cooking spring, but if you can believe it, I am testing pumpkin recipes. What's up with that? Pumpkin risotto. Pumpkin cheesecake. Pumpkin tiramisu. pumpkin madeleines...two recipes to go.
[/i]
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:07 am

Jenise wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Mint, I'll see. I like it, but we're veering somewhat close to Mary's disdain for mixing sweet and savory flavors here ...

But mint is savory! Wonderfully so. Just don't get near it with any sugar. :)

Btw, I was like Mary and didn't want mint anywhere near my lamb until I had rack of lamb served with a brown sauce that contained bits of fresh mint leaves--changed me for good, it did.

Hmmm, you didn't happen to eat at Caracole in 1977 when I was chef there,did you? Was that you sitting in the corner over by Barry Manilow?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:47 am

Jenise, chicken pecan tart is something I used to get at a lunch restaurant in Florida. I'm hoping the recipe I just found in the Atlanta Junior League cookbook is the same or better. Sounds just like I remember it...The crust is chopped pecans, sharp cheddar, flour, salt and oil of all things--pressed into pie plates and baked. The filling is cooked chicken breast chunks (I slightly undercooked the ones for this), eggs, sour cream, more cheese, chopped onion (I used shallots), a few dashes of hot sauce. You reserve a little crust and some pecans for sprinkling on top. The restaurant always served it with a dollop of hot pepper jelly which I think "makes" it. The recipe I found didn't suggest that. I'll let you know how it comes out, and if it's a winner, I'll post the recipe. (I know it's risky trying a new recipe for a brunch, but it's actually a test run for book club that I'm hosting next Monday!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:24 am

Mmm, mmm. I had a TV dinner (Banquet pot roast) after an all-day writers conference and shortly before I had to zoom to my restaurant gig.

It was interesting playing last night because I'm suffering from sinusitis and my eustachian tubes are blocked. I could see my fingers playing the keys, but the piano sounded a half-mile away. I had to ask the waitress if it was loud enough. Oh well, I couldn't hear my mistakes.
Next