Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Weed salad with apricots and goat cheese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

RCP: Weed salad with apricots and goat cheese

by Maria Samms » Sat May 05, 2007 8:22 am

Well,

Spring is finally here in NJ and my weeds are popping up all over. I thought I would post one of my favorite early spring salad recipes.

1 cup young Dandelion leaves
1 cup Chickweed
1/2 cup young Broadleaf Plantain leaves
1/2 cup Garlic Mustard leaves
1/2 cup of Dandelion buds
1/4 cup dried apricots
2 oz goat cheese
2-3 Tablespoons of your favorite vinegarette

Boil the dandelion buds in some salted water for about 4 min or until tender. Strain and run under cold water for a minute. Toss all the greens together. Slice the apricots into thin strips and add to the greens. Add the dandelion buds. Lightly dress the salad with the vinegarette and toss well. break apart the goat cheese and add to the salad.

I usually pair this with a NZ sauvignon blanc.

If you don't have access to weeds, you can substitute Endive, Frisee, and Boston Bib lettuce for the greens and boil some asparagus tips as a substitution for the dandelion buds.

Happy Foraging!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Weed salad with apricots and goat cheese

by Jenise » Sat May 05, 2007 11:34 am

Garlic mustard? Can't place any plant, weed or otherwise, by that name. Is it green or red?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat May 05, 2007 11:45 am

Jenise,

It a type of wild mustard plant that is everywhere here in northern NJ. It's called garlic mustard because the leaves actually have a garlicky taste. It's really nice when sauteed and I have made mustard from it's seeds and horseradish from the roots. It is one of my most abudant weeds. Here are some pics of it:

The rosettes when it first comes up in the spring:

More mature plants:
[img]http://donwiss.com/pictures/F-2001-07-04/0008.jpg[/img]

The flowers:
[img]http://donwiss.com/pictures/F-2005-05-08/0043.jpg[/img]

The young leaves in the rosettes are round but the mature leaves are triangular.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat May 05, 2007 12:40 pm

Wow, those photos are hella helpful (besides being superbly done). Care to do some of the others? I have no shortage of weeds here, no knowledge of identification beyond "dandelion," and would love to know what's edible.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat May 05, 2007 1:49 pm

Stuart,

I wish I could take credit for those pics, but they are from my favorite foraging website:

http://foragingpictures.com/#E

Just click on the weed you want to see, and there are usually loads of great pics...the "Wildman" does a fantastic job indentifying lots of weeds that I haven't found in any books.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat May 05, 2007 2:12 pm

Mille grazie!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 05, 2007 2:19 pm

Maria, what Stuart said: fantastic response! You know what, yesterday I was picking weeds around my own yard and wondering what, if any of them are actually edible. Prime on my list is something that has a soft, carrot kind of top, and comes out with a small multi-pronged tuber that smells EXACTLY like parsnip. It's hard (for me) to imagine anything that smells that good not being edible. I think I'll check your foraging site for it. In the meantime, if anyone knows anything about this plant, please respond.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat May 05, 2007 3:25 pm

Jenise,

That plant could certainly be wild carrot (Queen Anne's Lace), caraway, or parsnip. However, because there are 2 poisonous plants that closely resemble wild carrot, I do not to forage for them. The 2 poisonous plants are called Fool's Parsley and Poison Hemlock and look almost identical to wild carrot. Wild Carrot has a hairy-stem and poison hemlock does not and Fool's Parsley's flowers have additional beardlike bracts under it's flowers that the non-posionous plants do not have.

I would say that unless you can have someone positively identify your plant (maybe a Co-op or a local garden nursery) I wouldn't eat it as both the hemlock and fool's parsley are extremely poisonous!

I have been foraging for many yrs now and always stick with plants that have no poisonous imposters. I won't even eat plants that have parts that could be poisonous (like some plants you can eat the leaves but not the fruit...etc.) If the whole plant isn't edible, then I won't bother. I won't forage for mushrooms either.

I know you are in a different part of the US than me, but if you want you could post some pics of weeds, or describe them to me, and I can try and identify them. But I would say, have a professional identify your plant...you never know, you could have a whole garden of wild carrots growing in your backyard...that would be yummy!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat May 05, 2007 3:34 pm

Here are some pics...see how difficult it is to tell the difference?

Queen Anne's Lace (Wild Carrot)
[img]http://www.cincinnatinature.org/large_pics/queen-anne%27s-lace--daucus-c.jpg[/img]

Poison Hemlock:
[img]http://www.lib.ksu.edu/wildflower/wildflower/hemlock.jpg[/img]

Fool's Parsley:

Fool's Parsley again...see the beardlike bracts hanging off the flower:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 07, 2007 4:13 pm

Maria, thanks for the pictures and further information. You know what, last year I received some flowers (from a florist) that had Queen Anne's lace in it just as one of this very 'weed' that had escaped my clutches was blooming in my garden. It was IDENTICAL. Not just close, but with the very same very small flower shown in your pictures. I remember thinking that if they're safe and pretty I should let them be. I completely forgot about that until now, though. Gosh, I'm so sorry I pulled those out. Hope more grow so I can identify them for sure. In the meantime I'll look into the local probability of the poisonous imposters. Thanks again.