Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Whole grain bread!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Whole grain bread!

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 07, 2007 8:06 am

I had totally forgotten that grains were the featured ingredient.

I enjoy making bread, though I do it less than I used to. But now that we've moved to spring/summer I take sandwiches to work instead of buying hot soup. So it's bread time again.

My normal white sandwich loaf involves about 1.25 cups of water along with 3+ (note the variability of the + as I never quite know how much it will use) of flour.

For the whole grain loaf I cut back to about 1.5 cups of white flour, and then add in a half to three quarters of a cup of whole wheat flour, along with generous amounts of rolled oats, corn meal and cracked wheat. I usually then need to add in some more white flour to get the dough workable. (For info, I never really measure anything that goes into a bread dough. I've gotten to the "feel" stage.) There's also the predictable yeast, salt and some canola oil. Also with the whole grains I like ot add in some maple syrup. I don't use a lot, and you can't taste it, but I find that the bread is a little too "austere" if I don't use it.

Kneading this dough is an adventure, as the oats suck up the water but then give it back up later, so the dough gets sticky again. I really should do this bread in the mixer with a hook instead of by hand. It does make a nice, soft sandwich loaf though, and it keeps decently for several days.

It also makes killer toast which fills me up so that I don't get hungry later.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Whole grain bread!

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon May 07, 2007 8:35 pm

That sounds delicious! Maybe next weekend I'll take a break from rye bread and do something more like this. Thanks, David.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue May 08, 2007 10:00 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I had totally forgotten that grains were the featured ingredient.

I enjoy making bread, though I do it less than I used to. But now that we've moved to spring/summer I take sandwiches to work instead of buying hot soup. So it's bread time again.

My normal white sandwich loaf involves about 1.25 cups of water along with 3+ (note the variability of the + as I never quite know how much it will use) of flour.

For the whole grain loaf I cut back to about 1.5 cups of white flour, and then add in a half to three quarters of a cup of whole wheat flour, along with generous amounts of rolled oats, corn meal and cracked wheat. I usually then need to add in some more white flour to get the dough workable. (For info, I never really measure anything that goes into a bread dough. I've gotten to the "feel" stage.) There's also the predictable yeast, salt and some canola oil. Also with the whole grains I like ot add in some maple syrup. I don't use a lot, and you can't taste it, but I find that the bread is a little too "austere" if I don't use it.

Kneading this dough is an adventure, as the oats suck up the water but then give it back up later, so the dough gets sticky again. I really should do this bread in the mixer with a hook instead of by hand. It does make a nice, soft sandwich loaf though, and it keeps decently for several days.

It also makes killer toast which fills me up so that I don't get hungry later.

David,
Couple of comments from an old bread maker. First, a little maple syrup or honey always improves a full grain bread. I never make a hearty bread without a dose of something sweet, not much, just enough to barely notice. Second, I believe kneading is far overated. There was an interesting four page article, I believe in Vogue of all places, this month from a well known baker that does not knead bread. He mixes completely with a dough wisk or large spoon and then lets it rise over a very long time, up to 24 hours. The more I read the more I am convinced kneading is over rated. I tend to follow this approach, little yeast, little kneading and a very long rise and it works for me. Lastly, and this is a comment from someone that has trouble with measuring in cups, I always weigh my flour rather than add cups. For me it takes the guess work out of bread once I have settled on a recipe and the ingredient supplier, ie King Arthur and rapid rise yeast. Just a personal preference and probably because I am an engineer.
Walt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 08, 2007 10:44 am

Walt,

Appreciate the comments. I'll have to try some no-knead bread. I do enjoy the process of kneading.

There was a time for about 6 years when I baked bread once and sometimes twice a week. Unfortunately my time is less my own than it used to be, so bread is less of a focus. A no-knead bread might be a time-saving option. Do you put the dough in the fridge or jsut leave it out for the 24 hours?

As for measuring/weighing - I don't do much of either, as I got pretty good at feeling what was right over those 6 years. I'm an engineer as well, but sometimes I like to engage the other half of my brain.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue May 08, 2007 10:54 am

We had an extensive thread about the no-knead method of bread making back in November:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/vil ... php?t=4472
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue May 08, 2007 11:12 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Walt,
Do you put the dough in the fridge or jsut leave it out for the 24 hours?

As for measuring/weighing - I don't do much of either, as I got pretty good at feeling what was right over those 6 years. I'm an engineer as well, but sometimes I like to engage the other half of my brain.

The dough is left out on the counter according to this recipe and if you think about it why not, what is to spoil? When making baguettes I always let it rise over night but in the fridge, just what I learned but don't think it is necessary. If I can find a link to the recipe I will.

The other half of my brain does not function well. All of these decisions are left to my wife.

Walt