Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Salade de Tomates, Pignons de Pin, et Basilic

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

RCP: Salade de Tomates, Pignons de Pin, et Basilic

by Howard » Tue May 08, 2007 11:14 am

From Patricia Wells "The Provence Cookbook"

I was lucky to source some ripe tomatoes (in early May! in Chicago!) at a new organic store called "Sunflower" I received many comments on this very simple tomato presentation.

6 ripe tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs). Cored, peeled and sliced lengthwise (I forgot to peel them, no-one cared)

fine sea salt to taste
1/2 cup (whatever, just sprinkle them on) toasted pine nuts
1 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into a chiffonade
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
EVOO
Hazelnut oil
Fresh ground pepper.

Slice the tomatoes and lay them out on a platter. I used a long narrow one and made two rows. Sprinkle with sea salt, pine nuts and basil. Drizzle with EVOO, then hazelnut oil. Season with pepper. I didn't re-season with salt as the recipe called for. Make this 15-30 minutes before you want to serve it so the salt pulls the juices out and makes a wonderful mix of flavors.
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Salade de Tomates, Pignons de Pin, et Basilic

by Jenise » Tue May 08, 2007 11:47 am

I like your presentation idea, very contemporary. I love making platter-sized tomato salads because the shape of the tomato is so attractive and versatile.

That's quite a mix of flavors, would never have thought of using hazelnut oil on tomatoes, though I love it for late-fall salads full of kales and the like. Must try this.

Speaking of tomatoes, have you seen or bought bruno rossos? I bought some at Whole Foods in Seattle last week and was enormously impressed with their robust flavor and sweet acidity in a tomato caprese salad. They'd be great for this recipe too, in lieu of good garden tomatoes which for some of us are four months away yet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

Re: RCP: Salade de Tomates, Pignons de Pin, et Basilic

by Howard » Tue May 08, 2007 5:55 pm

Hi Jenise,

This is just the recipes part of the post regarding my dinner for 16 on Saturday. I was stunned at how good these tomatoes were. And I saw people going back for seconds and thirds!

I've not seen bruno russos, I've been trying to avoid whole foods when I can just because they're just sooooooo expensive but I'll look for those.

More to come regarding Saturday when I get the chance to pull together my thoughts.
Howard
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

A question from the unimaginative lemon guy ...

by Bill Spencer » Tue May 08, 2007 7:34 pm

Howard wrote:1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

%^)

Hey Howard !

Where in the preparation does the lemon juice go ?

Thanks !

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

Re: A question from the unimaginative lemon guy ...

by Howard » Wed May 09, 2007 12:07 am

Hi Bill,
My bad. This is just a sprinkle everything over the tomatoes and let it sit recipe so I did it before the oil. I'll fix the recipe.
Thanks
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: A question from the unimaginative lemon guy ...

by Jenise » Wed May 09, 2007 5:22 pm

Howard, bruno rossos aren't the exclusive property of Whole Foods, our better local market chain carries them too. Might have more to do with our proximity to a grower in BC, though, than the store itself.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov