Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Featured Ingredient: Arugula

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Featured Ingredient: Arugula

by Jenise » Thu May 10, 2007 1:04 pm

Arugula. AKA rocket, roquette, rugula and rucola. Early Romans grew it for both the leaf and the seed, which was used to flavor oils, and it has been popular in Italy ever since.

Twenty years ago, for most of us not Italian, arugula was this exotic European green served only in the best restaurants. By the time ten more years had passed, we could sometimes find it in specialty produce stores. It was also showing up in some supermarkets, albeit only in those little herb clamshell packages for $2 an ounce like it was a seasoning you use sparingly rather than a principal ingredient you'd eat by the forkful. Nowadays, thank goodness, most supermarkets carry it in fresh bunches in season or, off season, those large bins from Earthbound Farms that hold enough for several salads.

In fact, it's now so easily available that, dare I say it, we foodies take it for granted. We use it in the way we're used to using it. Because we no longer have to search for it, we no longer actively seek out new ways to use it.

I'm guilty! In spite of the fact that I know just how good it is wilted with pasta and tossed with a dry 'sauce' of breadcrumbs and walnuts, when was the last time I made that dish? Uh, about three years ago. And last summer, did I make an arugula pesto even once? It's one of my favorite sauces for roast chicken, but I don't think I did. Why haven't I, now that I live in the Pacific Northwest, put that sauce on a grilled filet of salmon, or a whole chunk of halibut? For gosh sakes, I grow it in my garden! It's 12 steps from my kitchen door all spring and summer! I have no excuses! I am a worthless cook!

It's time for me, and a lot of you I'll bet, to rediscover this incredible little green, so let's make it our next Featured Ingredient. Let's see if we can't come up with some new ways to make arugula exciting again.

What are some of your favorite preps?
Last edited by Jenise on Thu May 31, 2007 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Featured Ingredient: Arugula

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 10, 2007 7:47 pm

Fabulous with roast beef sandwiches, in mixed greens for salads, white bean and arugula salads and I also use it in tortilla wrap sandwiches. I've not tried it cooked.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu May 10, 2007 9:34 pm

Dress it with balsamico and EVOO and top a focaccia. Mmmmmm. Actaully, you can top all sorts of pizzas with it- makes a cool and crisp counterpoint to the toppings.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu May 10, 2007 9:42 pm

Ok, I have to confess here. I really like arugula every time I have it anywhere, but I never think to pick some up and bring it home. I am even a gardener and never considered growing it!

I will have to mend my horrible, lazy, thoughtless ways. :oops: Thanks for the push, Jenise.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Dress it with balsamico and EVOO and top a focaccia. Mmmmmm. Actaully, you can top all sorts of pizzas with it- makes a cool and crisp counterpoint to the toppings.

That's the first way I ever encountered arugula, on top of a pizza in Italy. It wasn't what I ordered, but as soon as I saw all those strange looking greens on top I kept it.

Karen, you must try it cooked then. Just lightly wilted--lovely.

Cynthia!!!!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri May 11, 2007 11:05 am

Jenise wrote:Cynthia!!!!!

I know, I know! Am I still allowed to stay and play in the FLDG after this transgression?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 11, 2007 2:52 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Jenise wrote:Cynthia!!!!!

I know, I know! Am I still allowed to stay and play in the FLDG after this transgression?

Of course! There's nothing we love like a good rehab. 8)
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Fri May 11, 2007 8:29 pm

OK.... I confess... I am an arugula-a-holic..... (say that really fast 5 times!)....

It is my most favorite green for salads, but more often I throw it into my pasta sauce (with garlic, EVOO and "pepperoncino" - red pepper flakes for an extra zing!). It's earthy bitterness goes so well with garlic.

I also have had it on a bruschetta (broo-skeh-tah) with shaved parmeggiano - what a lovely appetizer, especially if you use a hearty bread, good olive oil and a garlic rub.

I rarely use balsamic in my arugula salads - to me it screams lemon juice (feta, kalamata olives..... ripe vine tomatoes.... YUM!).....

8)
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat May 12, 2007 2:12 am

I cannot grow it worth a darn, or I'd have plenty in the garden. One time I had a bunch of arugula in the fridge that I confused for young spinach. I gave the arugula a quick saute in garlic and EVOO and it was wonderful.

I also love it on top of sliced, grilled steak a la Toscana, with EVOO and shaved Reggiano.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 12, 2007 11:56 am

Bernie, have you tried more than one variety? A friend of mine in Thousand Oaks, which is virtually the same climate you have, grows it quite successfully. I don't know which one he grows, but I know he grows it in a wine barrel (which is where I got my idea to do the same).
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue May 15, 2007 5:51 pm

I can still remember my first arugula experience. It was about eight years ago on a delicious steak sandwich with grilled onions I ordered in an Irish pub. I asked the server--"What is the *green stuff* on this sandwich???" It was truly love at first bite.

I'm totally with you guys who love it with a Tuscan grilled steak and shaved parmesan. So simple and so delicious.

Last summer at a restaurant in Chicago, I experienced arugula in my new most favorite way, and causing me to whole-heartedly agree with Paulo's sentiment that it screams for lemon. It was very simple salad of fresh arugula, lemon vinaigrette and shaved parmesan. I duplicated the dressing for it for my Italian dinner party last Saturday night from a modified epicurious recipe. See just below, if you are interested.

Definitely count me among the arugula lovers. Next, I will have to try it cooked as Jenise suggests...

Dressing for arugula and shaved parmesan salad:

1/3 cup minced shallots (about 2 large)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Whisk all ingredients until emulsified.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 15, 2007 6:56 pm

Carrie, your post so made me salivate for steak with arugula salad and shaved parmesan that it's now what we're having for dinner. And you make a terrific point about the way the strength of this green goes with beef. Besides, it's turned into a hot day and this is perfect hot weather food--better than the arugula vichysoisse I'd planned.
no avatar
User

Dick Bueker

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:19 pm

Harrisonburg, VA

by Dick Bueker » Wed May 16, 2007 9:31 am

There are two foods in this world (of those I have tasted) that I cannot stand: green bell peppers and arugula.

Despise them both. Anything they touch is ruined for me. Cooked, raw, doesn't matter. Blech!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 16, 2007 8:45 pm

Dick Bueker wrote:There are two foods in this world (of those I have tasted) that I cannot stand: green bell peppers and arugula.

Despise them both. Anything they touch is ruined for me. Cooked, raw, doesn't matter. Blech!

Well, Dick, that's okay, I think you can do without the estrogen. :) Funny, though, I can imagine not liking green peppers even though I love them, but arugula? How is that possible? :shock:

Carrie--our steak last night was incredible--a particularly good dry aged rib eye from Whole Foods Market, and the arugula/shaved parm salad was the perfect accompaniament. Didn't miss the soup at all--I'm so glad I read your post.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 17, 2007 1:56 pm

Heh, heh...oops...the post was actually me. I didn't realize my Dad had logged on.

Arugula to my taste is unpleasantly earthy/dirty (as opposed to pleasantly earthy) and so bitter I can't eat it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu May 17, 2007 8:40 pm

Hmmm, Jenise. I have three bags of arugula, and a partial wedge of parm regg in the fridge. Maybe I'll have to go out and rustle up some aged ribeyes, or maybe even porterhouses. Sounds like the perfect hot-weather dinner. It's in the 90s here already.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu May 17, 2007 9:34 pm

Continuing in my bad habits, I have ordered dishes with arugula in restaurants three times since this became the featured ingredient... but have I bought any to use at home? Nooooooooo! :oops:

I promise to correct that this weekend!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 20, 2007 1:02 pm

and so bitter I can't eat it.

You must be very sensitive to bitter flavors. To me, it's sharp but in a nutty, pleasant way, and much in keeping with a gender-wide predisposition to love strong green flavors. Men in general seem less likely to--wonder what, in the original design, is the explanation for this difference?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun May 20, 2007 10:08 pm

My favorite salad:

Arugula
Gated Asiago or Pecorino Romano
Chopped Walnuts
Pears
S&P
EVOO

Slice the pears and put slices on a plate to make a pretty pattern. Toss the other stuff together and compose the salad on top of the pears. Yum!

rwj
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun May 20, 2007 11:47 pm

There are lots of great ideas here, Jenise. Thanks for picking this ingredient for May. I use it often, but love the way it dresses up mashed potatoes when we feel like a little complexity in the mashed potatoes. Can't remember where I got this well tested favorite:

Arugula and Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes

3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, quartered
1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups whole milk
5 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
1 cup packed chopped arugula leaves

Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain. Return potatoes to pot. Stir over low heat until excess moisture evaporates. Add butter; mash potatoes until smooth.

Meanwhile, bring milk to simmer in saucepan. Remove from heat. Add goat cheese; whisk until the cheese is melted. Add milk mixture to potatoes; whisk until smooth.

Stir in arugula. Season with salt and pepper.

Serves 6.

Cook's notes:

I often vary the proportions, especially reducing the butter and often using skim milk rather than whole milk.

The arugula adds a wonderful bitter/nutty note to the potatoes.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

Taleggio And Pear Panini w/Arugula

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon May 21, 2007 10:51 am

This one is going on my to-make list!

Taleggio And Pear Panini - Serves 4
Recipe By: Giada De Laurentiis

1 loaf ciabatta bread (or 8 slices country bread)
1/4 cup olive oil
8 ounces Taleggio cheese or brie -- sliced
2 large pears, apples or peaches, cored and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
2 tablespoons honey
pinch salt
pinch freshly ground black pepper
3 ounces arugula

Preheat the panini machine.

Cut the ciabatta loaf into 4 equal pieces. Halve each piece horizontally to make 4 sandwiches. Brush the bread on both sides with olive oil and place the bottom-half of the bread slices in the panini machine in a single layer. Heat until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Continue with the remaining top slices of bread.

While the top slices of the bread are in the Panini machine, begin forming the sandwiches. Divide the cheese among the warm bread. Cover the cheese with slices of fruit. Drizzle the fruit with honey. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with a handful of arugula. Place the warmed top half of the bread over the arugula and return the competed sandwich to the panini machine for 1 to 2 minutes more to finish melting the cheese. Remove from the panini machine. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Tue May 22, 2007 6:16 pm

I planted some last week and it's poppin' up now, I cannot wait to try some of these ideas!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 24, 2007 10:11 pm

Robert J. wrote:My favorite salad:

Arugula
Chopped Walnuts
Pears
S&P
EVOO

Slice the pears and put slices on a plate to make a pretty pattern. Toss the other stuff together and compose the salad on top of the pears. Yum!

rwj

That is far and away our most common use for arugula. Sometimes we use Asian pears.

I threw some arugula onto some panini with smoked turkey, roasted peppers, and havarti cheese recently. The combination of arugula and havarti on the panini made me think that it the two might be good on bruschetta.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 25, 2007 12:05 pm

Robert J. wrote:My favorite salad:

Arugula
Chopped Walnuts
Pears
S&P
EVOO

rwj

Sounds terrific. The same ingredients work wonderfully on a plate with a bottom layer of sliced carpaccio or proscuitto, too.
Next