Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So, what do you do when...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

So, what do you do when...

by Larry Greenly » Sun May 13, 2007 10:31 am

one dining party is never, ever totally satisfied with any restaurant's food, wine, etc. and always finds fault with something or other.

E.g., last night eating at French restaurant, everyone is oohing and aahing over their dishes. Said party: I've eaten here twice, tried their regional specialties and they weren't good.

Chocolate mousse isn't dark enough; venison is too done, cook it over, but I'll keep the original and take it home; there's ice in the water; what wine are you drinking (hidden message: it's not good enough, you wine-challenged naif). Etc., etc.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: So, what do you do when...

by Ian Sutton » Sun May 13, 2007 11:09 am

Larry
A very easy answer. Round their place for a meal to see how well they can do themselves!
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sun May 13, 2007 11:28 am

It sounds like you need to order Tums and aspirin for dessert and, perhaps, let your guest choose the restaurant for the next outing.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun May 13, 2007 12:09 pm

We all know this person. The truth is, it's really not about the restaurant or the food -- It's about YOU (or the person who is hosting the party). This person is hell bent on showing up your inadequacies as a host and your taste in all things about which they have a crumb of knowledge. Taking a closer look, you will probably notice that they focus this negative attention on you (perhaps in subtler ways about other things) whenever there is an audience. Whenever I am in the company of such a person, I rethink the tone and nature of our friendship. My gut is never wrong. At the very least, you might want to have a talk with your other dinner guests about whether they notice it and solicit their opinions. It might be eye opening!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun May 13, 2007 1:08 pm

By dining party, I meant a "person," and not a friend, but an acquaintance. I've never invited this person to a dinner party, nor will I ever. I don't even like sitting nearby. The person just happens to be an occasional diner with a group of people I know who dine at restaurants.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun May 13, 2007 2:37 pm

By dining party, I meant a "person," and not a friend, but an acquaintance.
Yes, I understood that you meant an individual. And, by you, I mean that in the broad term of you (as either an individual or a group). I have met and know this person. They may have a single person in the group in whom they totally identify and whose company they truly appreciate. "But for the presence of all these other nitwits, this would really be a nice evening." Again, there is an audience present to whom they are trying to send a particular message and win over with their argument. My assessment, feeble though it may be, holds!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon