Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Arugula pesto: to blanch or not to blanch?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Arugula pesto: to blanch or not to blanch?

by Jenise » Mon May 14, 2007 1:03 pm

When I make a pesto out of arugula, I use fresh arugula but a recipe I encountered when googling this weekend instructed the cook to blanch the arugula first. Has anyone compared the two methods to reccomend blanching over not blanching? Offhand, I would guess that blanching would sweeten the green a little bit, plus it might make it less susceptible to discoloration, though I don't recall my leftover pesto turning brown on me in the past.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: Arugula pesto: to blanch or not to blanch?

by wnissen » Mon May 14, 2007 6:31 pm

Dear Jenise,

I've not tried blanching either, and the version I used stayed green for at least a week. I doubt it would hurt, but why bother as the fresh leaves make a smooth paste anyway?

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon May 14, 2007 8:14 pm

I interviewed Lidia Bastianich last week and, interestingly, one of the things we talked about was Pesto. I wanted to get her take on all the variations on the theme (which I don't recall seeing 20 years ago). She talked about he most common types of Pesto from her home region and cooking experiences (basil, arugula, spinach, broccoli). The recipe the whipped off for our listeners was arugula Pesto. She did not mention blanching it first.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 14, 2007 11:28 pm

Walt, that's kind of what I thought. Not sure what blanching would do that one needs getting done.

Jo Ann--interview? That's impressive. Sounds like radio--who do you interview for?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 15, 2007 12:29 pm

Jo Ann--interview? That's impressive. Sounds like radio--who do you interview for?
I host a weekly food show for the Washington Talking Book and Braille Library's radio services.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon