Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

wine pairing with beef stroganoff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

wine pairing with beef stroganoff

by Maria Samms » Tue May 15, 2007 12:58 pm

What would you all recommend with beef stroganoff? I am making it for dinner tonight and am really at a loss for what would go best with it. Thanks in advance everyone!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: wine pairing with beef stroganoff

by Saina » Tue May 15, 2007 3:28 pm

I understand sour cream is used? I think that might cause some problems. Some rustic, rather full bodied red might work with all the intense flavours of the dish: I would try with some tangy old-style Portuguese or some tangy Italian red. Tangy is, I suppose, the style of wine I would pick for myself. But there are so many ways to make the dish, so can you share how you will make it?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue May 15, 2007 3:37 pm

Thanks Otto...I am actually using heavy cream instead of sour cream. (I prefer the sour cream, but my husband likes heavy cream better). I will also use white wine, cognac, mushrooms, paprika, shallots and beef broth (and strips of beef of course!). It will be served over buttered egg noodles and garnished with parsley. So what do you think?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue May 15, 2007 4:36 pm

I still think that my original advice applies. Perhaps some Southern Rhone -type of wine would also do. I'd love to suggest a white with this, but beef and white seems counterintuitive. Take Grüner Veltliner - they work with everything! :)

Back when I used to be able to intake lactose, I used to make a lovely fish (usually arctic char) dish with cream, shallot, mushroom sauce which I marinated in cheap Riesling. I thought it very lovable with Alsatian Rieslings - especially those with a slight touch of RS. I wonder, therefore, could a powerful Riesling be good match with the stroganoff?

I think that this dish is more a question of making a match that doesn't overpower the wine or the food rather than making a match that would complement each other. Is beer out of the question? I would love to try such a dish with a good Baltic Porter like Koff's Porter.

-O-

p.s. I think that likings in food and wine pairings are extremely personal, so I hope others will chime in here also...
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 15, 2007 8:02 pm

Hi Maria,
I have an old French cookbook by Alma Lach, which recommends a wine for every recipe in the book. She recommends Burgundy - more specifically, Romanee-Conti La Tache. A bit steep for my blood. :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Tue May 15, 2007 9:50 pm

I second the Burgundy suggestion. The dish is still red meat and mushrooms. The cream softens the flavor profile. Burg always works for me. Second choice is aged Rioja.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed May 16, 2007 9:52 am

Maria, I know I'm too late with this but I make beef stroganoff often and love it and had to respond. I serve it with Barolo or Valpolicella and it is a match made in heaven. Also, instead of using noodles, I often use crepes.

I hope all worked out well. Now I'm thinking I'll make beef stroganoff this weekend.
JP

P.S. My wife went to Drew University and my college roommate lived in Morristown - what a beautiful part of NJ you are in!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed May 16, 2007 6:21 pm

THanks everyone for all your recommendations. We actually went with a Cotes-du-Rhone and it matched nicely (thanks Otto).

I would definitely like to try a Burgundy as well, seems like that would be a great match.

Jon - I never even thought of a Barolo. I haven't actually tried a Barolo yet (just started tasting Italian wines and haven't hit the Barolo...but very soon!) Once I do, I will certainly pair the dish with the Barolo as I make beef stroganoff quite a bit!

Thanks for the compliment! I went to High School right by Drew and it's really beautiful. I think Morristown is pretty nice! Did you wife like Drew?