Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What is the weakest area in your repertoire?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: What is the weakest area in your repertoire?

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 22, 2007 7:38 am

I dunno!? :? :oops:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue May 22, 2007 8:13 am

Maria Samms wrote:Also, I am not great with ethnic food...except Italian.

If Italian food is ethnic for you, then what is mainstream? Pilgrim food? :o
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue May 22, 2007 8:18 am

My weak area is not an ingredient or a category of food, but rather a style, as I do not shine with flavors that are spicy/complex/blended (e.g. curries).

I do my best when there is one dominant flavor (usually the ingredient itself if I am in the Bay Area) with one or two supporting flavors for depth/balance/etc.

As such, even when I prepare "curry", which is quite often as lentils are a staple in my diet, I will only use a handful of spices.

As a side note, this seems to dovetail with my wine preferences, where I go for mono-cepage clarity over blended "complexity"..
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue May 22, 2007 10:10 am

Robert J. wrote:Asian cuisine. I love it, find good restaurants hard to come by, never cook it, and don't have any of the 1000 or so ingredients on hand needed to make any given dish.

One day I shall remedy this.

rwj

I love to cook Asian and the way I remedied the number of ingredients was to pick up a couple every time I shopped. Eventually I had all kinds of stuff. And since most things are dried, they last a long time. Other things, like ginger, you can freeze.

Actually, you don't need everything to start with. Start with soy sauce, dried mushrooms and a few other things and you can cook quite tasty Asian food. Most of the ingredients you should have on hand anyway: onions, celery, carrots, etc.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 22, 2007 11:33 am

Robert J. wrote:Asian cuisine. I love it, find good restaurants hard to come by, never cook it, and don't have any of the 1000 or so ingredients on hand needed to make any given dish.

One day I shall remedy this.

rwj

Robert, good to see you! You're right about Asian, your pantry has to be ready for it. Of course, jacking the number up to "1,000" is a way of ensuring it's too overwelming to get started.... (I recognize that ploy!)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue May 22, 2007 5:14 pm

Thanks, Jenise! It's great to be back on the boards. I think that I will follow Larry's advice. It makes sense and I do usually have most of the veggies on hand. I know that Deborah Madison has a good chapter on stocking the Asian pantry. I'll have to read that again and get serious this time.

rwj
Previous