Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

East Coast Lobster Cookout

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

East Coast Lobster Cookout

by Jenise » Mon May 21, 2007 7:03 pm

I'm throwing a "surf and turf" party this weekend--we're going to boil whole Maine lobsters in big pots out on the beach. Are there traditional New England side dishes that would be served at such an event? I'm planning on making several side salads and can happily wing it, but if there something that was an asolute tradition I'd probably want to include a variation of that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: East Coast Lobster Cookout

by Maria Samms » Mon May 21, 2007 9:21 pm

I'll be right over Jenise...oh, wait...I only read the first sentence...LOL!!!

This is my absolute favorite kinda of meal!

What I usually do is throw in some corn on the cob and potatoes with the lobster boil. I would definitely serve cole slaw as a side as well. But that is just me :D .

I hope it goes wonderfully!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon May 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Corn the cob and boiled potatoes. I would say garlic bread also would be a "must."
Do you get good corn in WA? New Englanders are crazy for their native corn.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon May 21, 2007 9:24 pm

Maria and I must have crossed paths in cyberspace!
Jenise, it sounds like a great party. How can you go wrong with Maine Lobster and the view from your house??
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

At the start of the new school year my fraternity would buy new metal garbage cans that were used first for a beachside lobster boil. We put seaweed on top of the lobsters and then clams on top of the seaweed. With the lids on, the clams would finish before the lobster providing an appetizer.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon May 21, 2007 10:01 pm

Steamed clams. The little neck ones. Many of the lobster pounds in Maine serve only two things - lobsters and clams. You bring everything else, like beer, salad, potato chips. Another good item would be Clam Chowder. I did a search for the recipe, which I thought I posted, but couldn't find, so I'll re-post it as a new RCP. I would also recommend you try a nice Vouvray with the lobster, as I've stated in other posts about lobster pairing. Finally, a wild blueberry pie for dessert. :P
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon May 21, 2007 10:05 pm

Cookouts vary but two "essential sides" in my experience are steamed clams and corn on the cob.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 22, 2007 12:26 pm

Hey, it's prime clamming right now on my beach. I never do it because Bob is allergic to clams and mussels, but we've got the real deal right out front and I see people out digging every day at low tide. Hmmm...this could be fun.

Corn...the stores have a lot of fresh corn on the cob right now, but I don't know where it's from. Carrie, we do grow a lot of corn in Washington but the local stuff won't be ready until around August 1st.

Garlic toast? Naah, this is the west coast. It's gotta be sourdough bread, sorry. :)

Clam chowder? Love the stuff but no, out of respect for my husband (he can skip an hors d'ouvres but should not have to sit out a course), plus I find soup too filling for most dinner parties and rarely serve it except in demitasse portions. I'll have too much going on on Saturday to do that--I'm having 16 people here.

Maria--come on down! Er, over.
Last edited by Jenise on Tue May 22, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue May 22, 2007 3:42 pm

And where are the baked beans?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 22, 2007 4:23 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:And where are the baked beans?
Baked beans are for New England Sunday night church suppers, not lobster dinners.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue May 22, 2007 4:44 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Baked beans are for New England Sunday night church suppers, not lobster dinners.

But I can't eat seafood. Oh wait... she's doing beef too. Whew! Protein dilemma solved!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 22, 2007 5:07 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:But I can't eat seafood. Oh wait... she's doing beef too. Whew! Protein dilemma solved!

Oh great, so you're coming after all. Though I'm now thinking more like rare steak than smoked brisket, is that okay? You guys have me talked into the corn, but I think I'll do a French potato salad instead of boiled potatoes for some elegance. I'll do a couple other salads so the table looks well set and bountiful.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue May 22, 2007 5:31 pm

Jenise wrote:Though I'm now thinking more like rare steak than smoked brisket, is that okay?

Perfect! What time should I arrive? I can help with cooking, prep, setting tables, arranging flowers.... or just "taste testing" the wine. 8)

I am with you on the bountiful table. I tend to way overcook for parties because I never want people to think they can't have a second helping of something.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Tue May 22, 2007 5:35 pm

The French potato salad is a brilliant idea. Ina Garten has a magnificent recipe for it.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue May 22, 2007 5:47 pm

French Potato salad sounds like a fabulous idea! Let me know how it goes Jenise 'cause I would certainly make that instead of boiled potatoes next time.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 22, 2007 6:14 pm

Cynthia, I agree, hate skimpy bowls--the kind where people have to think "okay, there are 16 people here so my share is one rounded tablespoon even though it's the only salad I'm going to eat". Or where, like the buffets at our neighborhood wine tastings where only the first 16 people in line get shrimp and chicken wings and the 51st person gets lettuce and crackers. Plus, I like a lot of color and a lot of options. Tomato salads for red, and cucumber salads (with peel) for green, that kind of thing.

Carrie, I saw Ina do that salad just within the past few weeks. It sounded identical or nearly so to the recipe in the Cuisine of the Rose Burgundy cookbook that Bob Ross sent me, which is what I paired with the ham terrine you see in Bill Spohn's photos of last year's Terrine event. It's one of those dishes that became an instant standard in my kitchen the first time I made it. Versatile in every way--goes with everything from fish to beef, and best at room temperature. What could be easier to serve?

Maria, I'll post the recipe for you.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue May 22, 2007 9:44 pm

Well, real New England lobster lovers never boil Lobsters, they steam them.

I think I've mentioned this before, but there's a few things that I do:

First, the lobsters must have a period of time where they relax... even place them in the freezer for a bit. It'll keep the acid levels down in their muscles. Tossing them in head first when the steam is high will ensure a quick end and, again, keep that sour acidity out.

Second, the lobsters must be steamed in saltwater.

Third, instead of a colander, the lobsters should be steamed on a bed of kelp.

To accompany? Howie is right about the garlic bread, or sometimes we do pasta salad. Crackers if people want to eat the roe or tomalley.

Never boil them, though. That's the important thing... you'll lose all the flavor.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed May 23, 2007 10:33 am

JoePerry wrote:Well, real New England lobster lovers never boil Lobsters, they steam them.

I think I've mentioned this before, but there's a few things that I do:

First, the lobsters must have a period of time where they relax... even place them in the freezer for a bit. It'll keep the acid levels down in their muscles. Tossing them in head first when the steam is high will ensure a quick end and, again, keep that sour acidity out.

Second, the lobsters must be steamed in saltwater.

Third, instead of a colander, the lobsters should be steamed on a bed of kelp.

To accompany? Howie is right about the garlic bread, or sometimes we do pasta salad. Crackers if people want to eat the roe or tomalley.

Never boil them, though. That's the important thing... you'll lose all the flavor.

Best,
Joe

Nah, I doubt there's a person on the planet who can tell the difference between a properly steamed and a properly boiled lobster. Salt water, yes, always. Kelp is fine if one is able to acquire it.
no avatar
User

Barry N

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:31 pm

Boston, MA

by Barry N » Wed May 23, 2007 11:06 am

We are born and bred New Englanders and often have lobster dinners, including this past Mother's Day. We always serve our lobsters with red bliss potatoes, boiled, mixed with a little butter and herbs.

More importantly, we served a beautiful Soave, which was the perfect compliment to the dinner. Ours was Leonildo Pieropan Soave Classico Superiore La Rocca. Outstanding. We have also had Suavia Soave Classico Superiore Monte Carbonare, which drinks very well with shellfish.

Enjoy your feast!
Have a great day and drink up. GO SOX!!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed May 23, 2007 11:14 am

Welcome to the Forum, Barry!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 23, 2007 4:17 pm

Joe, kelp isn't an option for me right now. Boiling will have to do. We're cooking 18 lobsters and I don't think we could handle this quantity any other way.

Chef--thanks for the confirmation.

Barry, thanks for sharing your experience. I've pulled a bunch of white wines to serve on Saturday, but not a Soave. I'll add one now, I've got a Pieropan in the cellar. That should work great.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Wed May 23, 2007 10:31 pm

chefjcarey wrote:Nah, I doubt there's a person on the planet who can tell the difference between a properly steamed and a properly boiled lobster. Salt water, yes, always. Kelp is fine if one is able to acquire it.

Any child in Rockport old enough to chew their food can tell the difference.