Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Food Network: Sandra Lee

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Food Network: Sandra Lee

by Carrie L. » Tue May 22, 2007 11:33 am

Just have to share this with you all, because I know you will appreciate it. I had her show on yesterday as background noise while I was making split pea soup. She was making some kind of coffee angel food disaster and was using instant espresso powder. Every time she said the word, she pronounced it "Expresso."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Food Network: Sandra Lee

by Jenise » Tue May 22, 2007 11:43 am

That's a hoot. I've watched her show now 7 or 8 times, and I have to admit being mesmerized the minute she comes on. And what I'm drawn to is the disconnect between the awful food she makes and the convincing sincerity of her patter.

What's the worst thing you've seen her make? I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours!

Chicken and dumplings. A cold supermarket rotisserie chicken torn off the bone, a carrot or two cut in chunks, a celery rib or two cut in chunks, canned chicken broth and refrigerator biscuits, cut into quarters. Plop everything in the pan, cook 20 minutes, voila!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Tue May 22, 2007 3:23 pm

I think the chicken pot pie you described sounds pretty bad. Tough to beat that. Her savory dishes don't usually seem that bad. Usually just roasted or grilled something or other--usually with barbecue sauce or sour cream added). Her desserts and sides are the worst. I know I've mentioned the store bought angel food cake with marshmallows stuffed into the hole, iced with store bought frosting in a can to which blue food coloring was added......

How about those "beautiful, festive and GORGEOUS tablescapes" though? :)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 22, 2007 9:01 pm

What's the worst thing you've seen her make?
Small talk!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue May 22, 2007 11:02 pm

Carrie L. wrote: Every time she said the word, she pronounced it "Expresso."

In nerve-grating potential, that's second only to "nucular".

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Wed May 23, 2007 10:03 am

Mike, I agree completely.

I had an astronomy professor who used to pronounce nucleus "nuculus" all the time. It drove me crazy. And of course we all know the famous person who still says "nucular"despite the fact that his advisors certainly have tried to set him straight!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 23, 2007 10:48 am

Carrie L. wrote:I think the chicken pot pie you described sounds pretty bad. Tough to beat that. Her savory dishes don't usually seem that bad. Usually just roasted or grilled something or other--usually with barbecue sauce or sour cream added). Her desserts and sides are the worst. I know I've mentioned the store bought angel food cake with marshmallows stuffed into the hole, iced with store bought frosting in a can to which blue food coloring was added......

How about those "beautiful, festive and GORGEOUS tablescapes" though? :)

That wasn't a pot pie, that was a stew! I haven't seen her show enough to have a sense of 'worst' except to observe that she prepares almost no fresh vegetables, I've never seen a salad, and the only thing I've ever heard her say about nutrition was that wrapping bacon around a hot dog is "a great way!" to get more protein into kids.

You're right that the desserts are probably the most amusing. I saw her shape ice creams so that the finished product "looks just like a baked potato!" It was never explained why you would want to do this.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

by Martha Mc » Wed May 23, 2007 11:47 am

Not only does she always say expresso -- and she often refers to "fiend herbs," too!
However, she would make a perfect next door neighbor during cocktail hour -- that woman knows how to make a drink! (Of course, you have to trash the strange things she "dec-COR-rates" them with -- like the time she impaled a gingerbread man on the edge of the martini glass....)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 23, 2007 12:09 pm

Carrie, here's a picture of the abomination I spoke of, enjoy!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_36323,00.html?rsrc=search
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

by Martha Mc » Wed May 23, 2007 3:13 pm

Jenise wrote:Carrie, here's a picture of the abomination I spoke of, enjoy!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_36323,00.html?rsrc=search

Okay, I'm convinced. The woman had at least 5 too many of her spiked mocha egg creams.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 23, 2007 3:35 pm

Martha Mc wrote:

Okay, I'm convinced. The woman had at least 5 too many of her spiked mocha egg creams.

Did you read the reviews? Here's the best:

So Sad. This was Not Eaten.
03/20/2007 at 10:35am
User: Tiffnee from Detroit, MI
My little granddaughter and her Brownie Troop just got their nature badges. Time for a celebration!! Unfortunately, they mistook the Baked Potato Ice Cream I made for them for a huge poisonous puffball mushroom and refused to eat it.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Wed May 23, 2007 4:54 pm

Oh my god, you guys I am literally laughing out loud!
Martha, thank you for the link to the photo. In my wildest dreams I wouldn't have been able to picture an ice cream dessert shaped like a potato, and as Jenise says, why would you want one? The comments from the people who made it are a scream. Also, still laughing about the impaled gingerbread man. You can't make this stuff up! Her show is actually great entertainment. I'm going to start TiVOing it.
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Wed May 23, 2007 5:26 pm

Expresso - espresso, nucular - nuclear, nuculus - nucleus - How about physical - fiscal. Nerves grated, shredded, minced, finely chopped and sprinkled on top of a recent grad student in economics.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed May 23, 2007 5:42 pm

Hey at least that has some chopped pistachios on it. That's far more real food than most of her other recipes!

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed May 23, 2007 5:49 pm

Jenise,

LOL...I mean...WHY? What is the point? Its just a pile of ice cream...why in the world would anyone want to make it look like a friggin potato?

I can't believe Food Network let that in (well...I guess I can believe that actually, nowadays).

Richard
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed May 23, 2007 5:57 pm

Lest there be any doubt in *anyone's* mind what this woman is about...

In a five-ingredient "recipe" three brand names are recommended.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed May 23, 2007 7:17 pm

There is a restaurant in Santa Fe that has been serving the Baked Potato Ice Cream dessert for years and years... at least 8. It's one of their most popular dishes!! :?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed May 23, 2007 8:16 pm

And of course we all know the famous person who still says "nucular"despite the fact that his advisors certainly have tried to set him straight!

What's odder is that he has a degree in Nuclear Engineering and graduated at the top of his class at the Naval Academy. I think it's just a Southernism, like "all y'all."

I'm HIGHLY annoyed that we're this far into the thread and Jenise still hasn't mentioned the saggy silicone.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed May 23, 2007 9:40 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
And of course we all know the famous person who still says "nucular"despite the fact that his advisors certainly have tried to set him straight!

What's odder is that he has a degree in Nuclear Engineering and graduated at the top of his class at the Naval Academy. I think it's just a Southernism, like "all y'all."

I'm HIGHLY annoyed that we're this far into the thread and Jenise still hasn't mentioned the saggy silicone.

Jimmy Carter's silicone is saggy????!!

That would explain a lot....

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed May 23, 2007 10:25 pm

How do you know it is saggy silicone, and not a bad bra?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed May 23, 2007 10:50 pm

Since Jenise owns that sort of equipment and I don't, I'm trusting her on this one. I couldn't watch this show long enough to form my own opinion.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu May 24, 2007 11:58 am

Jenise wrote:I saw her shape ice creams so that the finished product "looks just like a baked potato!" It was never explained why you would want to do this.

A co-worker of mine used to host an April Fool's Day dinner party. All the items were delicious, but none of them looked like what they really were. The dessert one year was the infamous litter box cake. "Baked potato" ice cream would have fit right in.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Fri May 25, 2007 1:18 pm

or in the foodie world, brushetta as opposed to brusKetta...
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Fri May 25, 2007 1:20 pm

I know, Barb. Don't you feel like when you say that word correctly, people look at you as though you are pronouncing it wrong? (Unless they are Italian, that is...) You can't win!
Next