Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: French potato salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: French potato salad

by Jenise » Tue May 22, 2007 7:20 pm

Per Maria's request. This is Ina Garten's recipe because my Cuisine of the Rose book is not where I thought it should be--which means it could be anywhere in this house. But this recipe's very similar and absolutely comes from the same frame of mind about keeping it simple. Use any combination of herbs you want--or even just parsley. I have lots of fresh oregano in my garden right now, so I'll be using that with parsley in place of the others. Tarragon's terrific, too.

Oh, and different from Ina, I use white new potatoes and slice them about 1/4" thick before cooking. They cook (enough, allowing for carry over cooking) in about 5 minutes.

INA GARTEN's FRENCH POTATO SALAD

1 pound small white boiling potatoes
1 pound small red boiling potatoes
2 tablespoons good dry white wine
2 tablespoons chicken stock
3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
10 tablespoons good olive oil
1/4 cup minced scallions (white and green parts)
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves

Drop the white and red potatoes into a large pot of boiling salted water and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until they are just cooked through. Drain in a colander and place a towel over the potatoes to allow them to steam for 10 more minutes. As soon as you can handle them, cut in 1/2 (quarters if the potatoes are larger) and place in a medium bowl. Toss gently with the wine and chicken stock. Allow the liquids to soak into the warm potatoes before proceeding.

Combine the vinegar, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and slowly whisk in the olive oil to make an emulsion. Add the vinaigrette to the potatoes. Add the scallions, dill, parsley, basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Last edited by Jenise on Tue May 22, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP: French potato salad

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue May 22, 2007 7:57 pm

Thanks for posting this, Jenise. It sounds delicious.

Since I don't like mayo, I am not a big fan of the regular potato salad that seems to be served everywhere all summer long! I usually make German potato salad, but this would be a nice change of pace.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue May 22, 2007 8:04 pm

That's the one, Jenise. Delicious!
Last time I made it, I added parboiled haricot vert. A very nice addition if you wanted to add a little color and texture.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed May 23, 2007 2:23 pm

sounds almost identical to julia childs as well. except that she calls for shallots and adds at the beginning to allow them to cook slightly in the then quite warm potatoes.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed May 23, 2007 4:58 pm

creightond wrote:sounds almost identical to julia childs as well. except that she calls for shallots and adds at the beginning to allow them to cook slightly in the then quite warm potatoes.

I've had both and they are delicious! I'm with Cynthia in that I am not crazy about the mayo-based salads. During the hot months I like the lighter, fresher tastes.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 23, 2007 5:06 pm

I believe the Rose recipe did that as well, Creighton. The shallots are definitely more of a refined treatment, but the fresh verve of the scallion is a great spring flavor. Point is, both work. On Saturday I'll probably do neither in favor of chives, because my chives are budding right now and would be stunning in the salad.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed May 23, 2007 5:57 pm

Thanks Jenise for posting this!! I can't wait to make it...looks wonderful! I think I will do the chives instead as well. I have some growing outside.

Carrie, I like the idea of the haricot verte too. Yum!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin