Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pomegranate question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Pomegranate question

by Maria Samms » Fri May 25, 2007 6:52 pm

I love them and have recently thought about putting them in a salad, but my issue is I spit the seeds out. I always find this NOT pleasant, so I won't eat one in public (just like I usually don't eat olives with pits in public...something about chewing on something and then spitting it out in public is upsetting to me.) Anyway, I was wondering if the seeds are actually edible and if anyone does eat them and swallow them? What do you all do with pomergranates?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Pomergranate question

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri May 25, 2007 7:41 pm

I adore them! I eat the entire seed.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Yes, the seeds are edible. That is how Persephone got herself in trouble. :)

Dried pomegranate seeds are used as a spice in some Indian cooking.

I never worried about seed-spitting etiquette. I figure if one is served watermelon, or olives, or something else that has seeds that need spitting out, then by the very act of serving the stuff the host/hostess has said it's OK to dispose of the seeds.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Pomegranate question

by Sue Courtney » Fri May 25, 2007 10:37 pm

Eat the seeds - they are glorious, but be sure to get rid of all the white pithy stuff - it's disgustingly astringent and can ruin the whole experience.

If you cut your pomegranate in half, you can squeeze the juice from one half, and use the seeds from the other.

I wrote this article for my blog in January - the height of the downunder summer ...

"Have you ever squeezed a pomegranate? I did last night for the first time. It's a sensual feeling as the little orbs of juice explode under the pressure of the tightened palm of your hand and a visual marvel as they dribble out their bright pinky-crimson red juices into the waiting white dish, which gives the best contrast for the vibrant colour. I'd picked up a couple of pomegranates (imported into NZ from the USA) from the fruit store, picking the oldest-looking and gnarliest ones, as I've heard they are the best. Now I was using the juice and seeds to make a dressing for our meal - a chicken dish, tender fillets rolled in a mixture of flour, ground cumin and ground coriander and sautéed in a little oil. The pomegranate dressing provided a delicious bittersweet contrast to the spices and well as being a perfect match to the two pink wines we were accompanying the meal with...."

"The [pomegranate] juice was enhanced with a squeeze of fresh tangelo (from the tree in the back garden) and a dash of mango balsamic to add a piquant edge. Pomegranate seeds and cubes of watermelon completed the dressing. The chicken was served atop sautéed potatoes and topped with salad greens and the dressing. "

And the wines - one a Marlborough NZ Rose made from Cabernet Franc and one a Laurent Perrier pink bubbles.

Hope this gives you some inspiration.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat May 26, 2007 9:57 pm

Oh yeah, baby!! I love these things! Eat the seeds! Eat the seeds!

rwj
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun May 27, 2007 7:57 am

Maria,

I learned to eat them while living in Iran. Eat the seeds.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue May 29, 2007 11:14 am

Maria Samms wrote:but my issue is I spit the seeds out

Just curious, if you spit out the seeds, what part of the fruit are you eating? I thought seeds were the only edible part? Or are you just extracting the juice?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Tue May 29, 2007 5:24 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Maria Samms wrote:but my issue is I spit the seeds out

Just curious, if you spit out the seeds, what part of the fruit are you eating? I thought seeds were the only edible part? Or are you just extracting the juice?

Rahsaan, there is the seed and then there is the seed casing (aril) which is the fleshy part around the seed. You can suck this off and spit the seed out if you so choose or just munch on the whole thing which is what most pomegranate fans that I know do. (But if you don't, the seed is great ammunition for a pea shooter.)

Anybody up for some khoresht-e fesenjan or ash-e anar? :roll:
And now what?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed May 30, 2007 7:07 am

Gary Barlettano wrote:Rahsaan, there is the seed and then there is the seed casing (aril) which is the fleshy part around the seed.

I just considered the whole "red" part to be the seed, but I think I know what you're talking about.

FWIW I'm a pomegranate lover, eating two or three per day when they're in season.