Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Who uses a Big Green Egg?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Who uses a Big Green Egg?

by John F » Sun May 27, 2007 1:04 am

I was just reading about this - sounds kind of inetrestng. Anyone out there have an opinion? Any other product you like better?

Thanks
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Who uses a Big Green Egg?

by Carrie L. » Sun May 27, 2007 10:26 am

Hi John. We are on our third Big Green Egg (BGE). We keep having them built in and then we move. Nice for the people who buy our homes. :roll:
The BGEs are fantastic. Quick to light and easy to regulate temperature.
The ceramic somehow seals the moisture into whatever you are cooking.
Back ribs are our favorite things cooked on it. We like how the BGE browns while it smokes, also. Gives everything a nice golden crust.
There are other brands that basically do the same thing. Bob Henrick can tell you a lot more about the Kamodo, which is what he has. There is another brand called Primo.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:39 pm

John F wrote:I was just reading about this - sounds kind of inetrestng. Anyone out there have an opinion? Any other product you like better?

Thanks

John,
Somehow I missed this post first time around. As Carrie said, I do own a #7 Kamado ceramic Kooker. The two main differences between the K and the BGE are, 1, the ceramic side of the BGE are only about 1/2 inch thick, and the K is 2 inches thick. that will give you an idea of how much better as a heat sink the K is. 2. The BGE is available in about 3 sizes, and the K is available in 5 different sizes. My #7 has a 22 1/2 inch cooking grid, and the largest BGE is 18 inches. Plus I think the Kamado offers lots more accessories than the BGE. One advantage for the BGE is it is relatively inexpensive. I bought mine on sale for about $900 plus shipping from California, it weight 600 pounds so it wasn't cheap shipping either. Click the link and look at the Kamado http://www.kamado.com
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:24 am

Geez, I wanna buy one of your houses. I almost bought a tired old house because of the kitchen: an AGA stove. To me the kitchen was worth the price of the house (in fact, the house was a steal with that kitchen...)

b