Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Can you buy scallops in the shell?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Can you buy scallops in the shell?

by Jenise » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:54 pm

I remember finding some at a vishandel in Holland (native of I don't know where), but I've never seen them available in the States. Those I found in Holland that one time, I topped with shredded celery and leeks, a few drops of pernod, then a compound butter involving shrimp shells, then ringed same with puffed pastry to which I afixed the top shell and baked. It was one of the single most spectacular first courses I've ever served, and it would have qualified based on the impact of the aroma set free by the opening of the top shell alone. But it tasted pretty fine, too.

I'd forgotten all about that dish, whole scallops in the shell never having been seen again, until I read a recipe a short while ago for Gratinado de Vieiras, or baked stuffed scallops, which has me positively drooling. In this recipe the scallop is loosened from the shell, sprinkled with a little anise liqueur (apparently I was on to something) then topped with crabmeat, a little bechamel and bread crumbs.

As the title implies the recipe is Spanish, and more specifically attributed to Basque country, so I guess one can buy whole scallops along that coast. But, where else?

Dale, do you get them on the east coast? Sue, do you get them in New Zealand? Randy, are they available in Paree? Robin, does your overachieving landlocked fishmonger get such rarities?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: Can you buy scallops in the shell?

by wnissen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:10 pm

Dear Jenise,
I've seen smaller scallops still alive in Asian markets in the Bay Area, it wouldn't surprise me that the same could be found in big cities.
Certainly I could never understand why the roe is always stripped off scallops sold in the U.S. I guess it just doesn't keep well. One of my favorite sights at the fish stands in Paris is the gleaming scallop shell with vivid orange roe lying next to the "meat." Lovely. Hope you find your scallops.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:07 pm

Jenise -

Our corner grocery gets them periodically. They look majestic but I've never been willing to spring for them. The dish you describe sounds wonderful - might be worth it for that.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:02 pm

Jenise, here's a source that I've heard good things about, but haven't tried personally. (Peter's, a local fish monger in Midland Park, rarely offers live scallops, and I've loved cooking them for Janet a couple of times.)

http://www.farm-2-market.com/order.html#scallops

"F2M also offers Live-in-the-Shell Scallops, a delicacy virtually unheard of in the U.S. The unique FARM 2 MARKET system now makes it possible to ship live scallops with outstanding results.

"BE WARNED: Live Sea Scallops are extra work and must be opened and cleaned. BE HAPPY: They're worth it.

"In season, we ship Live-in-the-Shell Scallops directly from the renowned Taylor Marine farm. This "scallop ranch" grows tiny Bay Scallops suspended from rafts moored in the Nantucket Sound. Two generations of Taylors have bred a sweet and beautiful Bay Scallop. With shells measuring between 3 and 4 inches, about half still have the treasured scallop-roe attached. If you've never eaten a live scallop, prepare yourself for a memorable experience.

Weather permitting, F2M also offers Giant Live-in-the-Shell Sea Scallops. Intrepid S.C.U.B.A. divers work the coves and inlets of the New England coast where fishing boats fear to travel and harvest these nearly Frisbee-sized Live Sea scallops-in-the-shell. Prized by Oriental and European kitchens for centuries, their unparalleled flavor is startlingly delicious."
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

by Bonnie in Holland » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:23 pm

You can get scallops in the shell here occasionally at the horeca wholesaler. Otherwise, they're shelled and frozen. I've seen scallops in shell also in the street markets of Paris.
cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:51 am

Jenise wrote:Robin, does your overachieving landlocked fishmonger get such rarities?

For the record, the one I used to go to all the time closed (whine, wail) because of a lease issue, but we have two or three other good local ones - one of which might actually be slightly better. To answer your question, though, I've seen them locally very, very rarely, but most often they're shelled by the time I see them. I assume they come shelled from the distributor, but next time I go for fish I'll ask, and report back.

On a separate but related matter, do you ever see Nantucket Bay scallops in the West? They'd be a real pain to shell because they're tiny, not much bitter than pencil erasers in my mind's eye, but they're amazing ... you can eat them raw like popcorn, and they taste like scallop candy.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:14 pm

I remember seeing them once at Citarella in the city, I was tempted, but had an assigned shopping list from Betsy and didn't want to deviate.

I don't remember ever seeing at places I frequent the most (- the excellent Mt Kisco seafood, the very good Fairway and Eastchester Fish, and the good and convenient Brothers in Dobbs).
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:25 pm

Hi Jenise,
Yes, you can get them in the shell here in New Zealand - usually frozen though. I've had them in the shell, but that was when we went out in a boat and dredged for them in season. I only buy the meat and only in season when they are fresh. Having had them straight out of the sea, I think they lose a lot of flavour once frozen. It's pretty easy to find scallop shells on the beach after a particularly stormy episode when they wash up on to some of Auckland's east coast beaches - and I picked up some ginormous ones last year one of Northland's beaches. In the days when cigarette smoking was de rigueur, scallop shells as well as paua shells were often used for ashtrays.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:36 pm

wnissen wrote:Certainly I could never understand why the roe is always stripped off scallops sold in the U.S. I guess it just doesn't keep well. One of my favorite sights at the fish stands in Paris is the gleaming scallop shell with vivid orange roe lying next to the "meat." Lovely.

I can't understand that either - and the idea of the roe not keeping as well as the meat just doesn't gel. After all, the best way to eat the shellfish is when it is fresh. When I choose scallops, I always choose the ones with the biggest roe and I think I've finally worked out how to cook them without the roe going rubbery - the secret is in not overcooking. Roll on 1 September, when the 2007 scallop season starts.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:43 pm

Hey Jenise,

I live on the East Coast and I can't remember ever seeing them at any of the fish stores.

When I vacationed in Cape Cod, MA, we would catch our own scallops in Sept...that is the only time I can remember eating them in the shell. I have never been served them in the shell in a restaurant either.

Your recipe sounds fabulous. I will have to make an effort now to see if I can find them here in the shell. It's strange that they are not offered in the shell...I can easily get hard-shell clams and steamers but not scallops....hmmmm!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Lee Short

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:08 pm

WA USA

by Lee Short » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:04 pm

When I was visiting my brother a few years ago, I picked up some live, in the shell scallops at Pike Place Market. They were pretty good, as I recall.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:36 pm

Robin, I've never seen Nantucket scallops out here. The only time I've had them was in Texas, Mike Kotch got some from a fish store there and I prepared them for dinner one night. I've since tried to find them by mailorder and could not. They were the best, sweetest scallops I've ever eaten. And yes small, but bigger than a pencil eraser--maybe miniature marshmallow size.

There is a small scallop that grows up here in a beautiful pink shell. I've never seen them for sale in Washington, but did once in Vancouver. Sea scallops do apparently come in out of the Pacific, but I've never seen them sold in the shell like Lee did--Lee, you give me hope.

Dale, next time you see those, better buy, no matter what Betsy has planned. That was a lucky day and you could go years before you see them again!

Sue, it doesn't surprise me that the paradise of New Zealand would offer up beautiful sea scallops. There's nothing down there you don't have, is there?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:26 pm

Jenise wrote:yes small, but bigger than a pencil eraser--maybe miniature marshmallow size.

I exaggerated a little. :) Mini-marshmallow is just right.

Also, I went by Seafood Connection yesterday, and Mike said he could probably get me live scallops in the shell if I really wanted him to, but the shipping price would be so high that I wouldn't want them, and he doubts that we'll ever just see them on the shelf here. They pretty much need to be cooked while they're still dripping seawater, I guess.
no avatar
User

Lee Short

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:08 pm

WA USA

by Lee Short » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:48 pm

I'm pretty sure it was around Christmas, Jenise, FWIW. I don't know if their availability is seasonal, but it could be.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:59 am

Lee, coincidentally my hubby brought a colleague home for lunch yesterday, a guy who is quite the sportfisherman. I asked what kind of stuff he catches, and when he mentioned scallops, among other things, I asked where. We were sitting out on the deck and he waved in the direction of the islands and said, "they're all over out there. We have a couple favorite holes." They dive for them, which suddenly gives meaning to the term "diver scallops" we've all seen on restaurant menus. I now have to convince him to get me some next time he's out, and my scallop-in-the-shell problem is solved!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:59 am

Lee, coincidentally my hubby brought a colleague home for lunch yesterday, a guy who is quite the sportfisherman. I asked what kind of stuff he catches, and when he mentioned scallops, among other things, I asked where. We were sitting out on the deck and he waved in the direction of the islands and said, "they're all over out there. We have a couple favorite holes." They dive for them, which suddenly gives meaning to the term "diver scallops" we've all seen on restaurant menus. I now have to convince him to get me some next time he's out, and my scallop-in-the-shell problem is solved!
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:13 pm

One of the things I’ve learned in restaurant stints in France is not to use the scallops on the same day they are shucked. They will be more tender is refrigerated overnight. Here’s a narative that I wrote after one of my scallop-shucking experiences in 2001. That year I worked in three different restaurants that each had their own method of shucking.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:19 pm

Peter Hertzmann wrote:One of the things I’ve learned in restaurant stints in France is not to use the scallops on the same day they are shucked. They will be more tender is refrigerated overnight. Here’s a narative that I wrote after one of my scallop-shucking experiences in 2001. That year I worked in three different restaurants that each had their own method of shucking.

So Peter, maybe you can let us into the real reason the roe is discarded.

FWIW - the most delicious tasting scallops I gave ever eaten were no more than half an hour out of the sea - caught (dredged from the back of a small runabout boat), shucked and sizzled in a frypan over an outdoor gas stove in a little butter for no more than 30 seconds each side, complete with roe -as they are always served in this part of the world. Delissimo!
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:05 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:So Peter, maybe you can let us into the real reason the roe is discarded.

I don’t really know. Some chefs would use it while others tossed it out.

Sue Courtney wrote:The most delicious tasting scallops I’ve ever eaten were no more than half an hour out of the sea.

I suspect that like a lot muscles, if freshly killed, it can be eaten right away. But if not, the muscle should rest for a day until rigor has passed.