Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New "Top Chef" tonight...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

New "Top Chef" tonight...

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:07 am

By far, the best of the cooking reality shows.

Richard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: New "Top Chef" tonight...

by Jenise » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:34 pm

I've got the DVR set--tonight's our bi-monthly raft-out on the bay and I can't be sure I'll be back on land in time to catch the show. I'll definitely be watching the series, though.

Say, is anyone besides Barb Freda and I watching the Food Network's Next Star series? I'm kind of liking it--though I fail to understand some of the decisions made so far, nor am I convinced that even one of these people has the qualifications I'd like to think one should have, let alone all 12. Pretty weak candidates, in other words. I haven't watched the series before, but yesterday I read a thread on Chowhound where the concensus of opinion is that this show has had a makeover to look more like Top Chef.

In fact, watching it gives me some questions. I watch the FN so rarely that I don't have a clue what's happened to previous winners of this series. Supposedly they get a show--has anyone had a successful show from this notoriety so far?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:47 pm

I'm watching the FN Series too. I think the early sessions weed out the weak ones first. I've said I'm kind of a sucker for these types of shows...still true.

And I like last years winner. Guy Fieri...a restauranteur out of California w/ 2 restaurants. He does a lot of california influenced ethnic foods. He has 2 shows on FN right now. Guy's Big Bite ( the actual cooking show) and a new one called "Diners, Drive-ins & Dives" where he travels around the country and investigates little out-of-the-way diners and joints. He's kind of a loud, in your face personality. But both shows are entertaining, I think.

I haven't seen anyone yet on the current FN Star show whose personality or cooking skills really blow me away. But last year, it took some time to develop the TV skills and to learn to cook on camera.

Richard
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:06 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:By far, the best of the cooking reality shows.

Richard

The previous series of Top Chef is playing now on free to air TV in this country - but I know already who won thanks to FLDG (not that knowing particularly worries me).

Does this new series of Next FN Star have some incredibly overweight contestant again? Was it Richie last time that filled this spot?

I watch several show on our Food TV- but I guess we get as many British shows as US shows. Actually I've just watched a rerun episode of the British show, 'Masterchef goes Large', which I think is pretty good - although the judges get a bit annoying at times. Not sure if the US has anything like it.