Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Appetizer idea: Marinated shrimp, olives and _________

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Appetizer idea: Marinated shrimp, olives and _________

by Jenise » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:01 pm

A few weeks ago I made some marinated shrimp to go with a sherry appetizer. A few days later, I made more to serve as a cold pre-dinner snack. But we didn't end up eating early, then company dropped by and I needed to serve wine and finger food for four. What to do? I opened a can of black olives and added those to the shrimp. Two seemed a bit lonely so I cut a red bell pepper into strips, chopped up some parsley, moe tarragon, another clove of crushed garlic, a few dried chiles, and poured the mixture into the well of a rectangular serving platter.

The result was both beautiful and delicious, and though it was not at all anything I'd planned or labored over, company was none the wiser.

Tonight we're going to a small dinner party for a friend's birthday. I was asked to bring an appetizer. Moving a little slower this morning due to last night's chardonnay excesses that went well into the wee hours, it wasn't until about noon that I started thinking about what to take. Beef Kebabs are going to be the main course, so the field was wide open.

Then I remembered the shrimp from the other night. PERFECT. Who doesn't feel spoiled when served a pile of shrimp? (Well, Stuart for one, but I meant among omnivores.)

So I threw a half a bag of IQF'd U-20's in the sink to defrost. A few hours later, while they poached in salted water, I emptied a can of black olives, a jar of alcaparras (whole capers on stems), some celery chunks and an orange bell pepper into a bowl with olive oil, wine vinegar, several cloves of pressed garlic, bay leaves, lots of dried basil, fresh tarragon, salt and pepper into a bowl. When the shrimp were done I shocked them in ice water and added them to the mix. By the time I leave for the party, the flavors will have blended nicely.

I figure as long as I keep the freezer stocked with shrimp, as long as I don't serve the identical mixture to the same crowd too often, I can get away with this all summer long! Quick to make, beautiful to look at, luxurious and tasty, good with wine and easy to improvise from things one has in the pantry and the fridge.

Sure, shrimp isn't cheap, but you can buy bags of peeled, tail on shrimp at places like Smart and Final (or Cash & Carry in my neighborhood) for $6-7 a pound (though you must buy 3 lbs) and that's not bad. Shucks, a bag of chips and a jar of store bought salsa will set you back $7--by comparison, about $12 for a healthy platter like the one I'm taking to Lynette's tonight seems like a bargain.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Appetizer idea: Marinated shrimp, olives and _________

by Robert J. » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:07 am

Little skewers of shrimp with a tiny cherry tomato and a cube of manchego. Get really cheesy and use cocktail umbrellas as skewers.

rwj
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

by Martha Mc » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:31 am

Out of curiosity, Jenise, how were the shrimp eaten? With fingers, toothpicks or forks? I assume if with forks, then little cocktail plates were provided also. Were they served as a first course at the dining table, or pre-dinner nibbles?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:27 pm

Martha, yes, small plates and cocktail forks were provided, and guests could help themselves. Since the shrimp were already peeled, there was no mess. And since it was the only appetizer and we ended up waiting longer than expected for a couple who were coming from across the border, it was a big plus that what I brought was substantial and filling, and not carb-loaded. It worked great as a first course around the bar where we sat before going to the dining room for the salad and main courses.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:45 pm

Marinated shrimp, olives and... cubes of feta. Dress with O/V, oregano, lemon, pepper.