Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Monster tomato plant

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Monster tomato plant

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:17 pm

I have 14 tomato plants in my raised garden beds. We put in new dirt this year and I fertilized the day I planted. My plants are over my head, they have outgrown the tomato cages and are actually sprawling all over the ground. One tomato is a standout, the Costoluto Genovese. It is a lobed tomato plant that has taken over the entire bed. It's thick branches have invaded the other tomato plants and it is loaded with tomatoes. I have never had tomato plant that spread so far and with such think branches.
We've made a note to put perimeter fencing around the tomato cages next year to keep them upright.

http://monticellostore.stores.yahoo.net/600061.html
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Monster tomato plant

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:24 pm

Try 4x4 remesh (for reinforcing concrete slabs) for tomato cages. They're tall and they don't tip over.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:31 pm

If you start giving away extras, I'll make the drive. :wink:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:25 pm

I dunno Stuart, your picture looks a little scary. :wink:
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:31 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I dunno Stuart, your picture looks a little scary. :wink:

I'll come with him, Karen. My picture is cuter.

I grew Jersey beefsteaks in pots indoors in Germany back in the 80's. I had them over 8 feet tall, although the fruit wasn't all that great. Then my son was born and my wife decided that the plants weren't appropriate for the nursery.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:41 am

Karen, when you buy tomato plants, do you distinguish between determinates and indeterminates, if I have the language right--the correct terminology might end in -nants not -nates.

Anyway, I've tried to buy determinants ever since I had the experience you describe year before last with a yellow pear tomato that I got by accident--it was supposed to be an Early Girl.

That aside, congrats on such healthy plants. My five plants are doing well, too. I have a 4" tomato already on the Purple Cherokee, and several on the Red Zebra. The other three, two Early Girls and a yellow tomato, haven't set fruit yet. The difference is essentially that I bought the two heirlooms in Seattle in mid-May, and they were already fairly well developed compared to anything I could get up here. Maybe I should do that every year!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:22 pm

Jenise,
Re: the determinates and indeterminates....I usually just buy by variety not caring if it is a determinate or indeterminate. We put new soil in and the landscape place told us it was full of good stuff. I believe it because my herbs, mainly basil, don't care much for it. Herbs do not like to be fussed over with fertilizer and such. Usually my basil is twice the size it is now. The regular basil is coming along but the purples are feeling a little over whelmed.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:25 am

Hmmm, Karen, maybe that's why my basil is doing so poorly? I probably amended the pot its in when I did the big bed.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Trudy Schaefer

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:56 am

Denver, Colorado

by Trudy Schaefer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:08 pm

Ah. Tomato-growing. One of my favorite subjects. I built 2 large raised beds last year, added lots of compost and new soil this year, and planted 64 (!) plants. All but 4 we raised from seeds started early indoors. (I shouldn't have planted so many, but I find it impossible to just throw away the plants I've started from seeds -- so into pots and any available vessel they go.)

Karen, what fertilizer do you use? I garden organically, using chives and marigolds and such on the perimeter to deter pests. But the plants in one of my beds make it look like that soil could use a little help.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:33 am

Trudy Schaefer wrote:Ah. Tomato-growing. One of my favorite subjects. I built 2 large raised beds last year, added lots of compost and new soil this year, and planted 64 (!) plants. All but 4 we raised from seeds started early indoors. (I shouldn't have planted so many, but I find it impossible to just throw away the plants I've started from seeds -- so into pots and any available vessel they go.)

Karen, what fertilizer do you use? I garden organically, using chives and marigolds and such on the perimeter to deter pests. But the plants in one of my beds make it look like that soil could use a little help.

The dirt in my raised beds is new this year. It is a soil that the landscape place has for growing veggies. All they said, "it has lots of good stuff in it".
At planting time, I added organic veggie fertilizer pellets. I do not use any pesticides, but will spray with a soap and water spray when I get white flies. Aphids, I just wash off.
I made the big mistake of pruning my tomato plants (to keep the walkways free) after fruit was forming. Bad, bad. I have sunscald on my Costoluto Genovese tomatoes on the west side. These tomatoes will not be edible, I'm told. The east side of the plant is loaded and they all look fine. Lesson learned. Next year, in addition to the tomato cages, I am putting tall stakes around the raised bed with cross braces. They will be about 6 feet tall. I go out everyday and tuck the branches trying to escape the cage back in, but when they grow as tall as mine are, they hang over and start sprawling everywhere.
no avatar
User

Sue W

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:55 pm

Michigan, USA

by Sue W » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:49 pm

Hi Karen,

I don't post often here, but I had to reply when I saw your topic title.

As many of you stated, I also love to grow tomatoes and started 54 plants this year. Unfortunately, I don't have the space, so I gave away about 40 of them to loving homes. :wink:

I started my Costoluto Genovese plants from seed, along with other varieties (Marianna's Peace, Gardener's Delight, Opalka, and others to name a few). Here in SE Michigan, that meant under grow lights around March 25th. On Memorial Day Weekend, I planted them outdoors.

So, about one month later into my growing season, and I've also been impressed with the size of the plants. I have mine in "tomato ladders" that I got over the internet. They are doing nicely, but also outgrowing their supports. One plant I would estimate is over 7 feet tall! Some of the trailing branches are sprawling a bit, but I hope to stake them somehow to keep some order in the vegetable garden.

Mine have been fertilized with a small handful of Espoma Organic Fertilizer and a handful of compost when I put them in the ground. Other than watering as needed, these guys are going to keep me very busy when they ripen.

Enjoy your tomatoes !!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:58 pm

Karen, please consider a tomato party! I have the first excellent tomatoes of the year in front of me at the moment- I just had some bruschetta and despite feeling quite full, I am forced to make more...
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:50 pm

Stuart, it is ALWAYS a tomato party this time of year at my house. I just went out and picked a handful for Romas, and my first Costoluto Genovese. What a beautiful tomato! Sun Gold, Red Cherry Sweet 100 are giving me a handful everyday. Early Girl gave me two more, as well. Tonight they go into a stir fry, of zucchini medley, red onion, shrooms, top off with green onions, cilantro and finished off with roma slices and Fischer Wieser Apricot Tango Dipping Sauce (love this stuff) for a touch of tangy sweetness.