Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New Chef Movie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

New Chef Movie

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:15 pm

"CATHERINE ZETA-JONES and 'Little Miss Sunshine' star ABIGAIL BRESLIN make for an unlikely duo in 'No Reservations' (July 27), a touching comedy that finds Catherine as a top Manhattan chef whose perfectionist life is turned upside-down when she becomes the guardian of her nine-year-old niece. AARON ECKHART stirs up the pot as a sous-chef who adds spice to Catherine's life."

Geez - dump the little niece and give me the recipes!!

Better yet, let Bourdain write the script :P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: New Chef Movie

by Jenise » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:19 pm

I believe this is the American remake of a recent German film called MOSTLY MARTHA, which was terrific (and didn't need remaking).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:19 pm

I believe this is the American remake of a recent German film called MOSTLY MARTHA, which was terrific (and didn't need remaking).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

by Martha Mc » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:34 pm

Jenise wrote:I believe this is the American remake of a recent German film called MOSTLY MARTHA, which was terrific (and didn't need remaking).

I was thinking that, too. In fact, most of the little teasers in the ads for No Reservations looked as if the scene was clipped right out of the Mostly Martha movie. So, if you're going to remake the movie, why change the name?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:32 pm

For one, I'll bet they changed the character's name to something the Hollywood suits decided American teenagers, for whom all movies seem to be made, could relate to. Like a Tiffany or a Heather. I'll go check the IMDB.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:34 pm

Bingo, Martha! She's 'Kate'.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:40 pm

Martha Mc wrote: In fact, most of the little teasers...

Including Catherine ZJ? :P

Must say I like her - decent at acting (given the right material) and a change from the usual anorexic female stars.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:44 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Martha Mc wrote: In fact, most of the little teasers...

Including Catherine ZJ? :P

Must say I like her - decent at acting (given the right material) and a change from the usual anorexic female stars.

Decent at acting? More like good looking and can manage to repeat the lines and hit the spots as instructed, Bill. She's a personality/celebrity. wouldn't say she was an actress though. (And I think she's pretty damned fetching too, btw.)

Jenise: Yeah, I liked Mostly Martha too. Nice little movie that, as you say, didn't need remaking at all. Just didn't have 'bankable' stars, thassall.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:51 pm

Hoke wrote:Decent at acting? More like good looking and can manage to repeat the lines and hit the spots as instructed, Bill. She's a personality/celebrity. wouldn't say she was an actress though. (And I think she's pretty damned fetching too, btw.)

Are you suggesting, Sir, that my standards for thespians of the Fair Sex are lower than for the male actors??

OK, so she's no Olivier (or Hepburn - K., not A.), but she still has chops that run the gamut from A to maybe D or so.....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:58 pm

Hoke, when you marry someone like Mike Douglas you're destined to become a celebrity, but she's actually a decent actress too. Sure, she's no Meryl Streep, but few are.

Re the German film, Hoke, bankable stars wasn't the issue, but the fact that it was not made in English (the audacity!) was. Sadly, stupidly, foreign fiilms are a no-sale at the downtown Megaplex.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:07 pm

Jenise: I'll repeat, I enjoy looking at Zeta-Jones as much as any guy, and she's capable and competent on screen, but a gifted actress she's not. But that's okay: I don't think she cares particularly about that; she's got what she wants.

As to bankable, yes, it is an issue: otherwise they wouldn't be putting Zeta-Jones in the role. But I wholeheartedly agree with you that the average idiot Murkin won't go to see "foreign films", and the gods know we shouldn't be burdening them with anything like a foreign language on top of it.

But hey, I like foreign films. At least it keeps out most of the yahoos who talk during the films (or maybe they're too busy trying to read the subtitles before they disappear?).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:24 pm

Hoke wrote:but a gifted actress she's not.

Well, it's not up to me to defend her. But then I think a fair majority of our most bankable actresses are more popular and they are talented--such is the American way. Don't get me started on the likes of Cameron Diaz and Julia Roberts.

As to bankable, yes, it is an issue: otherwise they wouldn't be putting Zeta-Jones in the role. But I wholeheartedly agree with you that the average idiot Murkin won't go to see "foreign films", and the gods know we shouldn't be burdening them with anything like a foreign language on top of it.

Well, once a studio greenlights a project they always want a bankable star in the top role. That's a given. Hope Davis or Catherine Keener or Fanny Ardant would be far more interesting but none can 'open' a movie in America. The language issue was by far MARTHA's biggest problem.

hey, I like foreign films. At least it keeps out most of the yahoos who talk during the films (or maybe they're too busy trying to read the subtitles before they disappear?).

Ditto.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:47 pm

Hope Davis or Catherine Keener or Fanny Ardant would be far more interesting but none can 'open' a movie in America.

Well, any of those could open a movie for ME. :D

Um, could I add Sophie Marceau and Julie Delpy to the list???

Oh, and Nathalie Blaye?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:58 pm

Hoke wrote:
Hope Davis or Catherine Keener or Fanny Ardant would be far more interesting but none can 'open' a movie in America.

Well, any of those could open a movie for ME. :D

Um, could I add Sophie Marceau to the list???

Oh, and Nathalie Blaye?

Yes, especially enjoyed Sophie's performance at the Cannes festival. Definitely keeping abreast of her art.

And do you mean Nathalie Baye?
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:09 am

When I saw 'No Reservations', I immediately thought of the Anthony Bourdain TV series with the same name. Wonder why they changed the name from 'Mostly Martha' (which I've never heard of before)- to hang off the coat tails of Bourdain's success, perhaps.

I've liked Catherine Zeta Jones ever since the British 1991 TV series, 'Darling Buds of May' based on H.E. Bates stories about the Larkin family.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:30 am

Sue, I did too, but when I saw the brief plotline, I knew it was the other movie. MOSTLY MARTHA was the American name for the film, in Europe it was called BELLA MARTHA, and it had a lovely, humorous European slant in that the female chef was a tightly wound, perfectionist German and the sous chef she must endure is this warm, emotional, laid back Italian. That in itself should make one smile at the getgo.

Now we just have Nick and Kate. Nothing to smile about in that, is there?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:48 am

I'll bet you could count the movies that were American remakes of European films that were better than the original on the fingers of one hand.

Sadly, they always seem to dumb them down and broaden any humour when they do it.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:05 pm

I loved "Mostly Martha." I probably won't see this new version of it, as I am almost sure to be disappointed.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:01 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I'll bet you could count the movies that were American remakes of European films that were better than the original on the fingers of one hand.

Sadly, they always seem to dumb them down and broaden any humour when they do it.

On one hand? I'm sure there are some American remakes that have been pretty good in their own right, but I can't think of one. Well, that I've seen. I've heard that TORTILLA SOUP was very very good; I've only seen the Taiwanese original, EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN. But mostly you're right, American studio films are typically never content to trust an intelligent audience to get the material--they instead concern themselves with making sure the biggest idiot in the room gets it. That was always the draw of independent film, that they had the ability to make films for a smarter, smaller audience, but even now every studio has an independent arm and indie isn't so indie anymore.
Last edited by Jenise on Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:17 pm

Jenise wrote: But mostly you're right, American films are typically never content to trust an intelligent audience to get the material--they instead concern themselves with making sure the biggest idiot in the room gets it.

I have no sympathy, for instance, with the decision to change Amarone in Silence of the Lambs to Chianti!

If they are too dumb to get it (or be interested and look it up) screw 'em. They would at least be able to figure out it was some sort of wine, and you'd have preserved the original text.
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

by Eden B. » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:17 am

I have seen Mostly Martha more times than I can count - I absolutely love it and am so turned off by this remake. It's not that I dislike CZJ - for me sometimes she's good, sometimes she's annoying - whatever. But MM was such a gem of a movie, you know the remake is going to lose all of the original's charm.

And I suspect they changed the name from Mostly Martha because people kept thinking it was about Ms. Stewart when it first came out.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:50 am

Eden B. wrote:And I suspect they changed the name from Mostly Martha because people kept thinking it was about Ms. Stewart when it first came out.

Yahbut, they could have changed the title of the movie without changing the name of both main characters, couldn't they?
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

by Eden B. » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:26 pm

Oh, I totally agree, they could have just changed the movie title. But, we are talking about dumb Americans here, right? which is why they remade the movie since said DAs can't be bothered to read subtitles! ;)