Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The Zen of Sushi

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The Zen of Sushi

by Jenise » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:47 am

Last night I went to a wine and sushi party for Trevor Corson, in town to promote his just-released book, The Zen of Fish.

Neat guy: tall and handsome in a Jeremy Irons kind of way, much more fetching than the photo of him on the book's dust cover. He's funny and full of stories, as a writer should be. Neat place for a party: the downtown apartment-over-the-bookstore of this town's really wonderful independent book store's owner. Neat day to entertain a guest: finally, a day of summer, with a clear view over Bellingham Bay and the beguiling San Juans that bite its toes.

In the small kitchen, a pony-tailed man named Alex who looked to be Native American wore a white chef's coat with bright cuffs of bold Carribean colors was making sushi for the assembled crowd of about 50 people. The party was at 6:00 and we were there maybe five minutes early. I was dismayed when I saw that Alex was forming only his third roll, and was suffering heavily from an inability to talk and work at the same time. And of course everyone wanted to talk to him. This party was no different than the ones you have at your house--everyone ends up in the kitchen.

The rice looked too wet. Alex was laying the rice down on the nori in a pretty heavy layer, and there seemed to be no space between any two kernels. Someone asked if he used a rice cooker. No, he never felt the need, "I learned to make sushi from a Japanese guy about 20 years ago, and he didn't need no rice cooker. Neither do I." I jumped in to defend that statement even though the rice was lining those seaweed wrappers like cement. Something he almost acknowledged, saying that he'd had trouble with his first batch but that the second batch he was going to use for the nigiri was perfect.

I stepped out on the balcony to give Alex more space and enjoy the view and Trevor joined me. Below, a big blue boat below bellowed it's intention to leave port. "What's that?", Trevor wanted to know. "The Alaska ferry," I answered, "it's heading north." "Cool," he said appreciatively. I asked if L.A. was home, knowing that's where he did his stint at the Sushi Academy that is the background story for his book. No, Washington D.C. He moved there with a girlfriend he's since broken up with.

Kind of how he got into sushi, too, a relationship with a Japanese girl. He told this story of how he'd learned Japanese, but at first only the useful words needed in an intimate relationship. Linguistically speaking, he branched out from there. For instance, at a meal with his girlfriend and friends of hers he'd once eaten too much wasabi and made "the face". They told him, we have a word for that in Japanese. You say, "Kiku!", then everybody knows your pain and gives you time to recover. Years later he went back to Japan and was dining out with a group of Japanese, and decided he would impress them with his knowledge of Japanese. So he deliberately ate too much wasabi, made "the face", and exclaimed, "Eeku!". His new friends looked incredulous, not impressed.

Turns out he'd gotten his table-manners Japanese and his intimate Japanese words mixed up, and had just announced to the table "I'm coming!"

Meanwhile, back inside, Alex finally started slicing and plating his sushi. Unfortunately, the rice was as bad as I thought. Mushy and starchy-wet on the outside, undercooked on the inside, and they were dense. Actually, not unlike the proper texture for risotto. But for sushi, it was all wrong and, well, weird. The rice in the nigiri that he had pronounced perfect was also wrong. Mushy-overcooked, also wet and heavy. The pieces did not form well, they were large egg-shaped ovals. I have to accept based on what he said that he was happy with this result, odd as it seemed to me, but I cannot imagine preparing rice for a professional catering job and not tossing that first batch. Rice is cheap, and reputations are hard won.

Now that we had food Trevor could address us as a group. He provided these handy little do's and don'ts cards that set several of my sushi habits on their ear. First of all, I was relieved to learn that it is acceptable for me to pick up my sushi with my fingers. Secondly, I was surprised to learn that it's considered all wrong to put wasabi into your soy sauce. "The chef puts the amount of wasabi he thinks is right for the fish into his creations," and you basically insult him by reseasoning it when you load in extra wasabi. The result of your doing so brands you a rube of sorts in the chef's eyes and he won't then give you his best cuts of fish. As a cook I can relate to all of that, but I'd never understood it about sushi.

Can't wait to read the book. I'll probably start it today over coffee at Cafe D'Agio after a sushi lunch at Moshi Moshi. Sushi's one of those foods I get a jones for that doesn't go away by itself, and last night's sushi left me...well? No eeku. :)
Last edited by Jenise on Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

Re: The Zen of Sushi

by JuliaB » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:37 am

Very cool. Nice read.

Thanks, Jenise!

JuliaB
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:20 pm

Sounds like an interesting evening Jenise!

I am extremely surprised that they would have served such lousy sushi though? What did the host say about it? I mean, you would have thought they would have hired the best sushi caterers around! Doesn't seem like very good support for the book he just wrote.

Thanks for sharing that with us!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:45 pm

Thanks so much for the report Jenise -- you added a great deal of humanity to the author of a book I really enjoyed.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:15 pm

Maria Samms wrote:I am extremely surprised that they would have served such lousy sushi though? What did the host say about it? I mean, you would have thought they would have hired the best sushi caterers around! Doesn't seem like very good support for the book he just wrote.

Maria, it was surprising. I presume Alex hires out for parties often--he had all the stuff one would have if you regularly travelled to people's houses to prepare this kind of food. Not just the coolers and stuff, but the long narrow Japanese stoneware trays for the pre-sliced strips of meat, fish, carrot, cucumber, onion (and cream cheese, ugh), sesame seeds and flying fish roe he made his rolls with. And his technique was okay, the only problem was the rice. It was like he'd never had professional sushi before and didn't understand the proper texture. It reminded me of a guy I used to know who considered himself a great cook and who counted risotto among his favorite dishes to make for dinner parties. Finally, he made one for me. With regular long grain rice. He'd never had it in a restaurant, and his recipe, from his bible of all things food (surprisingly enough, a recipe-only version of Larousse Gastronomique), didn't specify any particular type of rice (I wouldn't have believed it, but I saw it for myself). He didn't know what he didn't know. Alex's sushi rice seemed to have the same type of naivete. His mistake was very likely, beyond a little too much water to start with, was not knowing to remove it from the cooking pan and spread it to cool. Ergo, it overcookes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:21 pm

Good one, Jenise. That could be published.

rwj
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

by alex metags » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:23 am

At the bookstore this weekend, I was flipping through another newish sushi-related book, "The Sushi Economy" by Sasha Issenberg. Anyone read this one? I think the author's thesis is that globalization and modern supply chains are what has enabled sushi restaurants to flourish worldwide. Apparently the next frontier for sushi is China and India.

cheers,
al
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:56 am

Bob Ross wrote:Thanks so much for the report Jenise -- you added a great deal of humanity to the author of a book I really enjoyed.

Regards, Bob

Bob, did you read his first (and only other) book, The Secret Life of Lobsters? I haven't, but I'll likely search for it after I read Zen. Btw, a few more tidbits you might find of interest: I asked what his next book will be about, and he said there's nothing planned. His life seems to have led him to his first two topics (he grew up in Maine with a grandfather who lobstered) and not suggested the next. I also asked whose writing he looks up to, and Michael Pollan and Tracy Kidder were the two names he mentioned. Good names.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:35 pm

I did read the Secret Lives, Jenise, and have been following his blog on the subject. http://www.secretlifeoflobsters.com/

The Market Basket just stopped selling live lobsters, in part because of the cruelties in the distribution system he described in the book; I read that Whole Foods has made the same decision.

I really admire his list of authors having an influence on his writing -- it shows I think.

And thanks so much for your review -- you might want to post it on his blog -- well worth publicizing further, although of course you have an admiring audience here. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:38 pm

I read Sasha Issenberg's book as well, Alex. It focuses on tuna and all the technology involved in bringing it to the sushi counters. In a very real sense, the flip side of the Slow Food Movement.

He makes a compelling case that tuna, at least of sushi grade, will soon be fished out. Certainly it's harder and harder to find really good tuna in this area.

I found the book too depressing to review here.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:57 pm

Jenise wrote:Turns out he'd gotten his table-manners Japanese and his intimate Japanese words mixed up, and had just announced to the table "I'm coming!"

Hahahahaha!!!

Very nice!

Great work, Jenise. I loved it.
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

by alex metags » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:53 am

"iku" literally means "(I'm) going", so the Japanese have it the exact opposite of us. Which wouldn't be the first time :D

cheers
al
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:09 am

alex metags wrote:At the bookstore this weekend, I was flipping through another newish sushi-related book, "The Sushi Economy" by Sasha Issenberg. Anyone read this one? I think the author's thesis is that globalization and modern supply chains are what has enabled sushi restaurants to flourish worldwide. Apparently the next frontier for sushi is China and India.

cheers,
al

Vanity Fair recently had a good in-depth feature on the international sushi market. Not quite as politicized as the book you mention, but plenty of interesting details about the sushi business.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/featu ... ushi200706
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:12 pm

alex metags wrote:"iku" literally means "(I'm) going", so the Japanese have it the exact opposite of us. Which wouldn't be the first time :D

cheers
al

Alex, Trevor pointed that delicious little fact out as well. But under the circumstances, I just couldn't afford to think too much about that at the time. :)