Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

POLL: Citrus shootout--lemon or lime?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

If you could only have one for the rest of your life, which of these two citrus would you choose?

lemons
42%
limes
58%

Total votes : 31
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

POLL: Citrus shootout--lemon or lime?

by Jenise » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:35 pm

One of them has to leave the planet: which would YOU keep?

This question came up during dinner the other night. I'd made tacos and served lime wedges with it. Why lime, Bob asked, why not lemon? Well, because Mexico = lime. Wouldn't lemon be just as good, Bob asked. Well, no. Er, maybe.

Thing is, lemons and limes both have a place in our kitchens. They're very similar but just different enough to ensure that we don't think of putting lime on our fish and chips any more than we crave key lemon pie.

But what if you had to choose just one?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: POLL: Citrus shootout--lemon or lime?

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:20 pm

I chose to keep the lime. To be honest, I don't really use either in much of my cooking (er, maybe that's because I don't really cook very much) but I do like a caphirinia from time to time, so the limes must stay!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:05 pm

I'd have to go with lemons, but only because in the parts of the US where I've lived the availability of different kinds of lemons has been much more exciting than the availability of different kinds of limes.

"Persian" limes can be found in Berkeley, but I don't regularly find top specimens. And aside from that it is just the regular "green" limes.

(Although aren't the limes yellow in Mexico?)

Still, I'd have to go with lemons for all the delicious and diverse opportunities they bring for citrus expression. But I'm sure someone can counter with an example of the infinite lime varieties as well..
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:56 pm

Thai cooking uses a lot of lime, doesn't it? Of course, they also use lemongrass, but I don't think that counts on the lemon side.

Then there's ceviche, and although I think you can use any sort of citrus in it, I still prefer the lime version.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:29 pm

Jenise wrote:One of them has to leave the planet: which would YOU keep?

Nooooo!

They can both leave the planet, but with me carrying them! Both brilliant.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:56 pm

Limes.

They're better in gin and tonics.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:16 pm

Limes. I became used to limes when I was stationed in the Canal Zone - no lemons were available in Panama. except maybe in the US gov't commissaries.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:48 pm

Hmmm...limes are winning by 2:1 margin. I didn't expect that. I wonder if Bill Spencer's voted yet--does anyone doubt which way he'll go????
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:50 pm

Very, very tough call. I love both. Lemons, it seems to me, play more of a role in classic cookery, but I always pick limes to put in iced tea, bubble water and other drinks. It seems for whatever reason that we always have limes in the fridge but often run out of lemons. This might indicate that we like lemons better, but I think the fact is that I just buy more limes. ;)

Bottom line, after long and soul-searching consideration, I think I'll vote for limes. I love 'em both, and I do consider them different. But in my world, I'd be happier about substituting lime when lemon is called for than I would about substituting lemon when lime is called for. Make any sense?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:02 pm

Would not want to do without either one. They are always in my fridge. Pushed to make a choice though, I use lemons more often.

I am just thrilled that the Meyer lemon tree I bought this spring is loaded with blossoms and the Keffir lime is sending out dozens of new leaves as is the blood orange.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:17 pm

Bottom line, after long and soul-searching consideration, I think I'll vote for limes. I love 'em both, and I do consider them different. But in my world, I'd be happier about substituting lime when lemon is called for than I would about substituting lemon when lime is called for. Make any sense?

That's exactly how I made my choice, Robin, exactly. And strictly based on food not booze, since the latter just isn't something we do in a could/would/just-don't kind of way.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:11 pm

I voted for lemons. Not much experience with limes although Tahitian Limes are in season right now and I got a bunch the other day.
But if limes leave the planet then all I need to get the pure piercing lime flavour is a very dry Clare Valley Riesling.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

No brainer !

by Bill Spencer » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:00 pm

Jenise wrote:Hmmm...limes are winning by 2:1 margin. I didn't expect that. I wonder if Bill Spencer's voted yet--does anyone doubt which way he'll go????

%^)

I have my 7 favorite on-line recipe sites bookmarked - All Recipes, Cooking.com, Epicurious, Just Recipes (Melborponsti), On Line Cookbook, RecipeSource.com. and Recipezaar ... just a quick survey found -

15,156 lemon recipes or recipes using lemons

4,471 lime recipes or recipes using limes

If I were a COOK/CHEF and had to make that decision, to me (tongue in cheek) it's a no brainer -

LOOKS LIKE YOU COULD LIVE A LOT EASIER WITHOUT LIMES THAN YOU COULD WITHOUT LEMONS !

Not saying you couldn't sub one for the other BUT if you could why are there more lemon recipes or recipes calling for lemons than there are limes to start with ?

Besides - at 59 I'm too young to retire as a lemon grower !

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:32 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Bottom line, after long and soul-searching consideration, I think I'll vote for limes. I love 'em both, and I do consider them different. But in my world, I'd be happier about substituting lime when lemon is called for than I would about substituting lemon when lime is called for. Make any sense?

I agree with you Robin and Jenise. While I always have more lemons in my refer and use them faster than the limes, I don't want to put lemon in my lime dishes. So I go with the limes, then I will go grab a house near Bill Spencer.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:47 pm

One word: margaritas!! :D Can't make one without a lime, at least not a drinkable one.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:44 am

Jenise wrote:One of them has to leave the planet: which would YOU keep?

Yes, they both have their place. If I had to choose to keep only one, it would be the lime.

I can think of lime substituting at a pinch for lemon almost anywhere I use lemon.

I can't think of lemon substituting for lime anywhere I use lime.

IMO, lime has the character. By comparison, lemon is just there for sourness.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:14 am

Paul Winalski wrote:By comparison, lemon is just there for sourness..

Only if they are poor quality lemons (which are very common I admit).

But while lime may have more aggressive "character", lemons add lovely soft floral flavors to dishes.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:14 am

Tough choice. Both are great, but I'd have to vote for limes. They can substitute for lemon, but not vice versa.

I read somewhere that if limes hadn't been so difficult to grow, they would have been the king of citrus instead of lemons.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:01 am

Limes for me also. pico de gallo, margheritas, fajitas, grilled chicken, iced tea or ice water, marinades....plus cumin , lime juice, S&P, and EVOO is a fantastic marinade for almost anything.

Lemons...I like them. But rarely use them for anything other than a twist in a glass of water.

Richard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:26 pm

Bill Spencer: when I was a kid, I loved lemonade. And there was this big contest between pink and yellow. And then I discovered green: limeade, which became my instant preference. I still love lemonade, but I like limeade a little better. And that's really all it comes down between lemons and limes for cooking. Believe me, Rao's Lemon Chicken NEEDS lemons, I never want to do without. Always have some in the fridge. But if I have to choose, well, it's limes I really like best. Always have.
no avatar
User

Karen Ellis

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:23 pm

Memphis, TN

by Karen Ellis » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:54 pm

Lemons, lemons, lemons! Limes aren't as juicy. I keep lemons in my refrig year round (and I don't keep much in my refrig <g>).
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:52 pm

What a question! The one supernaturally-wonderful use for limes is as lime oil mixed with dark chocolate.

But lemons are much more versatile, really.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Bartender usage

by Bill Spencer » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:19 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Limes. They're better in gin and tonics.

%^)

No disagreement but ...

Interesting to look at the drink recipes on The Virtual Bar and find -

1,357 drink recipes calling for lemon, lemon juice, and/or lemon peel

956 drink recipes calling for lime, lime juice, and/or lime peel

Glad to see that whether you're talking about cooking or drinking that this topic has not "soured" me on lemon usage versus lime usage ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

Re: Bartender usage

by Barb Freda » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:23 am

I'd go lemons, too...

Love limes..Have both at home...But love lemons more...

b
Next