Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

POLL: Citrus shootout--lemon or lime?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

If you could only have one for the rest of your life, which of these two citrus would you choose?

lemons
42%
limes
58%

Total votes : 31
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: POLL: Citrus shootout--lemon or lime?

by Jenise » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:02 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:But lemons are much more versatile, really.

How so?

I'm wondering if that's really the case, or if they just more common? Thinking in supply and demand terms, in So Cal where citrus grows easily, almost everybody had a lemon tree in their yard but few had limes. Is that because lemons were proven to be more versatile 20-30 years ago when those trees were planted, or do more people simply cook with lemons because they're more plentiful?

One thing a lime can do that a lemon can't? Marinate red onions to top little fish canapes--the red onions turn a lovely magenta shed when mixed with lime but fade to mousy pale pink in the company of lemon.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:20 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:But lemons are much more versatile, really.

How so?

Hollandaise.
Limoncello.
Chutney (and other pickles).
Candied peel.
Splashed on raw oysters.

I'm sure there are more 'not-lime' uses of lemon to be found.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:16 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Hollandaise.
Limoncello.
<b>Chutney (and other pickles).</b>
Candied peel.
Splashed on raw oysters.

Never heard of lime chutney? I would have called it the default and lemon a variation.

Actually, I'd accept lime as a substitute in any of those, but then, I love limes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:52 pm

Agreed with Robin--those are classic, but not unsubstitutable. Say, I'm going to really test the theory of substitution tonight in a real classic, I'm going to use lime in Rao's Lemon Chicken--loaded with garlic and oregano and broiled. I'll report back tomorrow.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:04 pm

Chicken and lime...marinades or sauces...great match. I can't help but think the substitution will work out wonderfully. I will make a basic basil pesto and add add some lime zest (be sure to use a very fresh lime) and baste grilled chicken with it or roast a whole chicken that has been sauced with this mixture.

Richard
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

I'm going to stick my neck WAY out ...

by Bill Spencer » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:03 pm

Jenise wrote:Say, I'm going to really test the theory of substitution tonight in a real classic, I'm going to use lime in Rao's Lemon Chicken--loaded with garlic and oregano and broiled. I'll report back tomorrow.

%^)

... and hazard a guess on the out turn of your experiment -

Using the same amount of lime juice as lemon juice, the lime juice will overpower all the rest of the flavors compared to using the same amount of lemon juice ...

Awaiting your post/report with bated lemon breath ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

I'll hazard a guess here, too ...

by Bill Spencer » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:10 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:Chicken and lime...I will make a basic basil pesto and add add some lime zest (be sure to use a very fresh lime) and baste grilled chicken with it or roast a whole chicken that has been sauced with this mixture.

%^)

Again using the same amount of lime zest as you would lemon zest, the lime zest will impart more of a bitter flavor than using the same amount of lemon zest ... the oil sacs in a lime are much, much smaller and contain very little quantity of oil than the oil sacs on a lemon rind ... in addition, the white pith of the lime is more bitter than the white pith of a lemon ...

Here, too, awaiting your post/report with bated lemon breath ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: I'm going to stick my neck WAY out ...

by Jenise » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:01 pm

Bill Spencer said:

Using the same amount of lime juice as lemon juice, the lime juice will overpower all the rest of the flavors compared to using the same amount of lemon juice ...

Nope! The juice of three big juicy limes, about 8 cloves of garlic, a handful of dried oregano, salt and olive oil made a divine marinade and the result was fantastic: just as good as lemon juice would have been, neither better nor worse.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

Curious ...

by Bill Spencer » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:12 pm

Jenise wrote:Bill Spencer said:

Nope! The juice of three big juicy limes, about 8 cloves of garlic, a handful of dried oregano, salt and olive oil made a divine marinade and the result was fantastic: just as good as lemon juice would have been, neither better nor worse.

%^)

" ... three big juicy limes ..." Sounds like you used Bearss/Persian/Tahitian limes which are definitely less pungent than Mexican/Key limes ...

And I wonder why Rao didn't use limes over lemons in the first place ...

Thanks for the report ! I stand corrected ...

Clink !

%^)

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Curious ...

by Jenise » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:31 pm

Yup, Bearss type, exactly. Interesting thing was that it didn't come off as lime--could have called it 'lemon' and no one would have been the wiser.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

Hey Richard !

by Bill Spencer » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:31 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:Chicken and lime...marinades or sauces...great match. I can't help but think the substitution will work out wonderfully. I will make a basic basil pesto and add add some lime zest (be sure to use a very fresh lime) and baste grilled chicken with it or roast a whole chicken that has been sauced with this mixture.

Richard

%^)

So how did the chicken turn out using lime zest as opposed to lemon zest ? Inquiring minds, a nosy lemon farmer, and all that ...

Clink !

%^)

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Hey Richard !

by Jenise » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:20 am

Another lemon vs lime factoid: last night, we put both in the water pitcher we put on the dinner table. The lemons floated, but the limes sunk straight away. I guess that thick rind on the lemon is like a little life jacket--buoyant!
Previous