Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sunday troll: What's for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Sunday troll: What's for dinner?

by Jenise » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:28 pm

No decision here yet. I woke up to a downpour of rain, and haven't been able to decide yet since the weather doesn't quite suit my mood.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Sunday troll: What's for dinner?

by Bob Ross » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:36 pm

Lamb stew -- very cool here, but beautiful, and I need to use up some Jamison lamb to lighten up the freezer a bit.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:41 pm

Grilled Pork tenderloin (rub: fennel, rosemary, mustard seed, garlic, cracked black peppercorns) with 3-mustard cream sauce
pigeon peas and rice
mustard greens
candied yams
corn bread
sweet iced tea (African Red Bush/Peach)

Thinking about almond sugar cookies for dessert!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:09 pm

I don't know yet. It's one of the rare occasions that my girlfriend will be cooking so I'm curious to see what she has prepared when I get home.

But I too must brave the rain as it has been dumping all day here in London as well..
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:23 pm

Beautiful day here. Just me today, so I cooked so there'd be plenty of leftovers for me to start the week.

Grill crazy: grilled pork tenderloin with spice rub (not even sure what ended up there in my fury, but plenty of paprika, bits of cayenne and cumin, cracked pepper and whatever else was in reach), and grilled up some new potatoes, zucchini, eggplant. A little creme fraiche with garlic and mint and a little drizzled balsamic vinegar over the eggplant. A great new find for a pilsener to go with it and a salad prepared while the coals were burning. Certainly made good use of the coals--my neighbors love to watch me go back and forth between my kitchen and the grill as each item pretty much fills up the grate. And now, plenty of leftovers!
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:26 pm

Beef tri-tip on the grill accompanied by good friends and good wine.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:59 pm

High end succotash (stir-fried corn, favas, shallots, and diced porcini). Poblanos stuffed with chevre. Something with these nice tomatoes we got this morning, don't know what yet. Green rice.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:08 pm

Venison roast in the slow-cooker w/ new red potatoes, Vidalia onions and celery, with some fresh Silver Queen corn barely boiled with a touch of butter, and some sweet Georgia peaches for dessert. We're still putting our kitchen back in order from our remodel, and this takes less time than getting the charcoal ready. Besides, I can never quite get the venison to come out right on the grill, unless it's fresh tenderloin, and that won't be in season for a few months yet.

Not sure yet what wine I'm going to open to have with it.
Last edited by Robert Reynolds on Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:08 pm

Rib eye steak cut about 4 inches thick that Gene is roasting on the grill with lots of good seasonings. Shitake and white mushrooms sautéed in EVOO, brandy and rosemary, s & p. A mixture or red, white, yellow and blue spuds, tossed with red and orange bell pepper chunks, sweet Walla Walla onion chunks, garlic cloves, dressed with EVOO, s & p, rosemary, roasted in the oven and finished with a splashes of balsamic. Ravenswood Merlot, of course..... or maybe a Shiraz....I'll see what I have.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:09 pm

Baby back ribs on the grill. Gave them a dry rub massage last night and the grill is heating as we speak. Just potato salad and a good wine to go with. In 2 1/2 hours or so we'll be in hog heaven!!!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:28 pm

In 2 1/2 hours or so we'll be in hog heaven!!!
We should be arriving about the same time -- See you there!!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:28 pm

Jo Ann said:
Grilled Pork tenderloin (rub: fennel, rosemary, mustard seed, garlic, cracked black peppercorns) with 3-mustard cream sauce
pigeon peas and rice
mustard greens
candied yams
corn bread
sweet iced tea (African Red Bush/Peach)

Karen/NoCA wrote:Rib eye steak cut about 4 inches thick that Gene is roasting on the grill with lots of good seasonings. Shitake and white mushrooms sautéed in EVOO, brandy and rosemary, s & p. A mixture or red, white, yellow and blue spuds, tossed with red and orange bell pepper chunks, sweet Walla Walla onion chunks, garlic cloves, dressed with EVOO, s & p, rosemary, roasted in the oven and finished with a splashes of balsamic. Ravenswood Merlot, of course..... or maybe a Shiraz....I'll see what I have.

Okay, got a plan now. I'll leave in about two hours for Seattle to have dinner with Jo Ann, and Karen I'll be at your house by breakfast time for leftovers! I should get out of Redding in time to show up at Stuart's for dinner--Stuart, will you make succotash again tommorrow? :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:40 pm

Tomorrow, it's matar paneer with some home-made paneer; the peas look great and we're starting to get some good tomatoes.

You won't be disappointed.

I'll save some favas, but corn won't last until tomorrow.

Now, as to those tomatoes for tonight, I've been thinking about a Cal-Mex version of caprese. Hmmm.....
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:03 pm

Decided to open a 2005 Concha y Toro Cab for supper. I'll see how it goes with the venison.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:27 pm

Okay, got a plan now. I'll leave in about two hours for Seattle to have dinner with Jo Ann, and Karen I'll be at your house by breakfast time for leftovers! I should get out of Redding in time to show up at Stuart's for dinner--Stuart, will you make succotash again tommorrow? :)

It's a plan Jenise.....I make a mean steak and eggs. Oh and we toss the left over roasted veggies into the fry pan, brown them up even more......I have zucchini bread with brown sugar, pecan topping in the freezer. Do you prefer orange juice or tomato? :wink:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Hey Stuart.....

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:34 pm

I ate at an Indian restaurant last year and had the most wonderful dish. It was in a sauce, had cauliflower, peas and I'm not sure what else, but it was fabulous. Do you make something like this?
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:43 pm

Sunday dinner - we had a Delia Smith creation Venison Sausages braised in Red Wine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:27 pm

Karen, breakfast is just like Happy Hour. I'll drink whatever you pour!
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:35 pm

Have a local rancher who raises grass-fed, hormone free pork, beef and lamb. Got some baby back ribs from him. Dry rub and barbecue sauce - slowly smoked with lump charcoal and hickory. Garden is going nutso so it's a salad of some kind almost every night. Dijon potato salad with small red rose potatoes. Oh and I've been making a childhood favorite often - out of self defense - I am afraid the 30 X 40' strawberry patch is going to arm itself and invade - strawbery shortcake. I macerate the strawberries in sugar and Chambord while I'm making the shortcake (just sweetened biscuits, really.) Top with Chantilly cream.

Cana's Feast, Red Mountain 2003.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:52 pm

Do you make something like this?

Of course! It's a classic. I substitute other things for the cauliflower (one of the only two vegetables I can't stomach). Generally, this dish has a creamy sauce- was that how the one you had was done?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:37 pm

Tonight was an eggplant sambar with masala dosa (lentil pancakes stuffed with seasoned potatoes).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:41 am

As I slowly recover from the nasty malaise I've suffered the last week, I concocted a braised chicken thigh and shitake mushroom casserole served with traditional fried (basmati) rice. Bloody delicious!
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:46 am

Pretty simple. I had some leftover Irish soda bread I made for breakfast and I made chili con carne to go with it.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:17 am

Dina is out of town (at a convention), I baching it. Tonight, it bacon & eggs w/ toast. My favorite nighttime bachelor meal. Also the only time I get to eat this stuff.

Richard
Next