Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Okra

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Okra

by Thomas » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:02 pm

I've discovered that little okra has quite an effect on humans--some hate it with a passion, others--like me--love it with an equal passion.

Let's hear it:

Who likes okra, why, and what's your favorite preparation?

Who does not like okra, and why?

This is how I like okra: as an omelet filling, fried in batter, and as a gumbo ingredient.

I grow the stuff, and when I harvest it, I chop and cook up a portion with garlic and hot pepper in olive oil, add a little stock and then freeze it for my winter gumbos.

For omelets I chop it, saute in butter with onions and then add as a filling.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Okra

by Randy Buckner » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:14 pm

Fried okra using cornmeal is a southern staple. I like it boiled as well (gumbo).
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:28 pm

Ditto on fried w/ cornmeal. Preferably fried in bacon drippings.
Also good as a thickener for homemade vegetable soup. Stir-fried isn't bad either.
I'll eat it any way but boiled, too slimey that way, but my Dad loves it boiled.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:28 pm

All your choices, Thomas, plus pickled Okra -- I just had a delicious version -- brand name on request (I'd have to search the recycle bin, it was that good). :)

Regards, Bob

PS: The bottle was right on top: Tiffe's Louisiana Hot Pickled Okra -- great stuff. And they have a couple of milder versions for the faint of heart. B.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:04 pm

I've never had any I liked, but I can't say it was ever properly prepared.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:15 pm

I love okra, it has to be small, left whole and fried with a cornmeal coating.
I also love Campbells gumbo soup with okra. I have not had it in years, I wonder if it still tastes good.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:55 pm

I love the stuff. Breaded and fried, yup. In a curry, yup. Stuffed with hot chili and chick-pea flour, then fried, yuppers. Sauteed with tomatoes, cumin, olive oil, and garlic, Lebanese-style, double-yup.

Tayyab in London made the best okra curry I've ever had.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:11 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I love the stuff. Breaded and fried, yup. In a curry, yup. Stuffed with hot chili and chick-pea flour, then fried, yuppers. Sauteed with tomatoes, cumin, olive oil, and garlic, Lebanese-style, double-yup.

Tayyab in London made the best okra curry I've ever had.

Does okra grow in Lebanon?

As soon as tomatoes ripen, I'm going to try it, if the godamned slugs don't do in all the plants. It's been perfect slug weather this year. Why do creatures with no purpose even exist?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:19 pm

Why do creatures with no purpose even exist?

Hey, liberals have rights too... (sorry, couldn't resist).
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:31 pm

Thomas, I take Randy's point -- with a grain of salt, of course -- but rise to defend the slug. They've fascinated me ever since I first found them on the farm many years ago, and have learned a great deal about them.

There are dozens of types around the world, ranging from and inch to ten inches long. They are almost all are herbivores; the eat fungi, lichens, green plants, shoots, roots, leaves, fruits, vegetables, and flowers, as well as scavenging, eating decaying vegetation, animal feces, and carrion. They have few predators -- the slime that keeps them alive is foul tasting stuff -- but they are eaten by a few animals.

So, they are important in creating humus and improving soil fertility -- earthworms and slugs work very effectively together from somewhat different food sources. The Brooklyn Botanic Garden gives them high marks in the soil improvement world -- perhaps a bit grudgingly, I suppose.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:40 pm

Thomas wrote:As soon as tomatoes ripen, I'm going to try it, if the godamned slugs don't do in all the plants. It's been perfect slug weather this year. Why do creatures with no purpose even exist?

Of course slugs have a purpose. If it weren't for slugs, the earth would be overrun by killer tomatoes. :twisted:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:02 am

Bob Ross wrote:Thomas, I take Randy's point -- with a grain of salt, of course -- but rise to defend the slug. They've fascinated me ever since I first found them on the farm many years ago, and have learned a great deal about them.

There are dozens of types around the world, ranging from and inch to ten inches long. They are almost all are herbivores; the eat fungi, lichens, green plants, shoots, roots, leaves, fruits, vegetables, and flowers, as well as scavenging, eating decaying vegetation, animal feces, and carrion. They have few predators -- the slime that keeps them alive is foul tasting stuff -- but they are eaten by a few animals.

So, they are important in creating humus and improving soil fertility -- earthworms and slugs work very effectively together from somewhat different food sources. The Brooklyn Botanic Garden gives them high marks in the soil improvement world -- perhaps a bit grudgingly, I suppose.

Regards, Bob

Bob,

I'll take worms over slugs--they haven't got as fine a palate...

The best defense against slugs are ducks--appears to be the only animal that eats them, but of course they walk all over the seedlings with feet that used to get draftees a 4-F.

Used to be able to cut down slug damage with DE--they dried in it or something, but this year they seem to care nothing about whatever it is that DE did to them in years past.

I tried beer, but all I got were sober slugs eating what the drunken slugs did not.

Hand grenades work, but after throwing one I can't seem to find the garden for about two months.

Carpet bombing works too...but you know what happens there.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:02 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Tayyab in London made the best okra curry I've ever had.

I remembered your comments to that effect but unfortunately when I visited my companions were in the Fear Okra camp and we focused on other dishes.

But I was definitely impressed with the food so will be going back for more. Although, the atmosphere was so chaotic I was amazed that you managed to focus on the slew of nice wines you described.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:21 am

"Carpet bombing works too...but you know what happens there."

:)

Badgers and porcupines eat slugs, too, Thomas; we had both in Wisconsin, but maybe not in your area?

One thing that does work is salt -- we had long pans with a layer of salt in the bottom we put around the perimeter of some high value vegetables. The salt dried out the slugs and they would avoid it, or die.

Not very practical but ok with a short term, high value crop.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:14 pm

I really like the flavor of okra but I'm not crazy about the texture, and so I just never fix it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:27 pm

Bob Ross wrote:"Carpet bombing works too...but you know what happens there."

:)

Badgers and porcupines eat slugs, too, Thomas; we had both in Wisconsin, but maybe not in your area?

One thing that does work is salt -- we had long pans with a layer of salt in the bottom we put around the perimeter of some high value vegetables. The salt dried out the slugs and they would avoid it, or die.

Not very practical but ok with a short term, high value crop.

I have seen neither of those animals around here, which is likely why the slugs are not only big, they are prolific--colorful too, if I say so myself.

A few weeks ago a pair of wild ducks discovered the sunflower seed droppings from one of our bird feeders--some birds are quite wasteful. Anyway, the ducks visit each evening at around 6 to sample the day's seed dropings. I have tried to coax them over to the garden for a potential slug fest, but I've failed at the task. I'm told domestic ducks can be coaxed but not wild ones, unless you have food in your hand, and I refuse to carry a handful of slugs to the ducks...

One would think that the slugs would get a whiff of the ducks nearby and they would pack up their slime and slither over to the neighbor's place, which I suppose may be too far for the little bast--er, lovable creatures.

Bob, I've used salt too. It does work but it wets down overnight with the dew and then it is useless. So it prevents the early sluggers while it does nothing to stop the late bloomers.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:01 pm

Fried is good. But my all time favorite is pickled...especially spicy pickled. I've always got a jar or two in the house.

Richard
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:38 pm

So far, the "I don't like okra" crowd has been rather quiet. I know that Robin is one of them...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:30 pm

I like it a little. My favorite is grilled and then tossed with a sautee of corn and tomatoes, EVOO, S&P.

rwj
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:55 pm

Robert J. wrote:I like it a little. My favorite is grilled and then tossed with a sautee of corn and tomatoes, EVOO, S&P.

rwj

Throw a little cayenne in that and I'll take it...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:33 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote: Sauteed with tomatoes, cumin, olive oil, and garlic, Lebanese-style, double-yup.

Lebanese style? I looked for "lebanese okra" and got a bunch of stews.

My current favorite prep for okra is true sauteeing (over high heat) okra that's been sliced into 1/4" rounds. If it sounds daunting to slice the tiny okra pod into such small pieces, it is, but luckily the Cuisinart slicing disk does it instantly. I use a big non-stick skillet and toss every 10 seconds or so, almost like stir-frying, and the pieces brown and have little slime. I combine this technique with pretty much any recipe you can imagine for green vegetables, though basil and curry both work very well.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:11 pm

Okra sauteed with onion, tomatoes, garlic, corn. For a full meal I will add either shrimp or hot links and serve over rice with cornbread on the side. Yum!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

by alex metags » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:28 am

I like it Japanese-style, cooked with dashi and mirin, and topped with some sesame seeds.

cheers,
al
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 am

Jo Ann, I've read your posts with great pleasure, but your tagline leaves out a very important caveat that appears in Farrar Capon's excellent article in the New York Times in 1982:

"Yet to cook without salt (save for sound and personal medical reasons), or to undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all other tastes and smells form their harmonies."

Free link here, I think, subject to registration

Regards, Bob
Last edited by Bob Ross on Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next