Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: "Lemony" Lemonade

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

RCP: "Lemony" Lemonade

by Bill Spencer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:03 pm

%^)

So summer's here ... gonna be 111 degrees in Yuma today ... my 13 year old grandson is visiting for a week-and-a-half and has requested some of Gran'pa's brats on the grill tonight for dinner ... ahhhhh ... standing over a hot grill in 111 degree heat cooking one of my grandson's favorite things - true love ! Gonna stop by the grocery store at lunch today and pick up a dozen lemons and whip up the base for some great lemonade ... think I've shared this recipe before sometime a long time ago but on the off chance I haven't or you've lost it or you've never seen it, here goes ... this is a recipe that will keep it's true lemon taste right to the very end ... and for the adults in the crowd, catch the "hint" at the bottom of the recipe - "mellow yellow" baby !

2 C Sugar
4 C Ice water
3 C Fresh lemon juice, strained (approximately 12 large fresh lemons)
3 C Ice water
3 C Soda water
Mint sprigs for serving

First prepare the simple syrup - place the sugar and ice water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the sugar dissolves ... continue to boil for 5 minutes and remove from heat ... cool and refrigerate in a covered container ... the simple syrup will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 weeks ...

In a large pitcher, combine 1 1/2 cups lemon juice with 1 cup simple syrup and 3 cups cold water ... mix and pour into ice cube trays and freeze ...

When ready to serve the lemonade, combine the remaining lemon juice, remaining simple syrup, the soda water, and mix ... put lemonade ice cubes in a large glass, pour the mixture over the ice cubes, and add a sprig of mint and straw to each glass ...

Makes 6 large drinks

Hint: An added jigger of vodka per drink makes a beautifully mellow glass of lemonade !

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: RCP: "Lemony" Lemonade

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:29 pm

OK - that one's on the list.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:37 pm

Hint: An added jigger of vodka per drink makes a beautifully mellow glass of lemonade !

Now you're talking, Bill.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:33 pm

I could have that for breakfast! Citrus juice, pork products--it's all there!

But what's this:
Gonna stop by the grocery store at lunch today and pick up a dozen lemons

Don't you just step outside and pick them?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:16 pm

Jenise wrote:But what's this:
Gonna stop by the grocery store at lunch today and pick up a dozen lemons

Don't you just step outside and pick them?

%^)

Unfortunately, the commercial harvesting season lasts from mid August to mid March here in the Desert ... lemons left on the tree after mid March are still good for home use until about the end of April or middle of May, depending on how hot the weather gets ... the lemons on my tree in the backyard are now about very large egg size, green as grass, and still no free juice ... by the end of July, I should be able to start using my backyard supply ... the standard for "mature" lemons is 30 percent free juice by volume ... so just like everyone else in this group, this time of year I have to buy lemons ... supporting my Ventura County California lemon brethren ... like everything else Kathleen and I buy, we do NOT purchase any fresh produce item, including lemons from Chile, Mexico, or Spain, that is not grown in the U.S. ...

FYI - I have both a Mexican lime and limequat tree in my yard ... between the two, we get limes/lime juice year round ... have been using limequats for a couple months now but the Mexican limes are "just around the corner" ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html