Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Organics

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Ah but there already is a "middle ground" ...

by Bill Spencer » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:48 pm

Hoke wrote:I would like to see a way...a middle way...to move away from 'conventional' farming more towards sustainable farming (which may in whole or part...OR PART...necessarily embrace organic and biodynamic principles). In other words, unlike our current President, we'll have to "do nuance" and consider shades other than stark black or white, sift through the evidence, filter out the noise from the big business interests and advertising mavens, and try to come to a middle way which incorporates a reasonable compromise between two radically opposed forces.

%^)

... between CONVENTIONAL and organic - it's called "Sustainable Agriculture" which I practice and, sticking my neck WAY out, every CONVENTIONAL farmer I know across this country practices ... I say I "know" this becasue of my involvement at the county, state, and national level with American Farm Bureau Federation and my interaction with basically hundreds of farmers over the years becasue of that interaction ... what is "sustainable agriculture" you ask ?

"The term sustainable agriculture means an integrated system of plant and animal production practices having a site-specific application that will, over the long term:

> satisfy human food and fiber needs
> enhance environmental quality and the natural resource base upon which the agricultural economy depends
>make the most efficient use of nonrenewable resources and on-farm resources and integrate, where appropriate, natural biological cycles and controls
> sustain the economic viability of farm operations
> enhance the quality of life for farmers and society as a whole"

A little of what this means -

We till the soil making use of "green manure" from the weeds we till to make the soil healthier and get natural nitrogen to the plant/tree and forego the use of herbicides ...

We practice "integrated pest management" which means we are VERY careful with the pesticides we use, using ONLY those that kill the specific pest that is hurting our crop and leaving the rest of the beneficial insects to help eat/kill/reduce the populations of hurtful insects ... up until the late 70's when my brother and I took control of the family business, my Dad would spray a half a dozon times a year ... my brother and I have gotten that down to ONE spray or less !

We have releveled our land to "dead level" from a half-an-inch per hundred feet fall to allow the fertilizer to fertilize the tree and NOT run to the end of the grove and soak into the ground to further contaminate the ground water ...

It is an immediate firing offense if a worker "relieves" himself in the grove instead of the portable toilets we provide to all our harvesting crews ...

All of our harvesting equipment is equipped with drip pans so that no oil, lubricant, fuel, etc. can be accidentally dripped on the ground ...

We practice the same "intergrated pest management" in the packinghouse in the application of fungicides ... spore plates are exposed each week and readings taken to determine the minimun amount of fungicide necessary to get the produce to market without decay ... for over half of my season, I use NO fungicides at all ...

I could go on and on ...

I'll end with some interesting statistics -

For the most recent year available, the Food and Drug Administration found the following on thousands of domectic grown samples tested ... for fruit - 48.6% were found with NO residues of ANY chemicals, 49.2% were found with residues that were within EPA dictates, and 2.2% were found with residues OVER EPA dictates ... for vegetables - 69.2% were found with NO residues of ANY chemicals, 28.9% were found with residues that were within EPA dictates, and 1.9% were found with residues OVER EPA dictates ... our friends at Consumer's Union, the organization that produces Consumer Reports Magazine found for the same year that TWENTY-SEVEN PERCENT OF ALL ORGANIC SAMPLES WERE FOUND TO HAVE SOME RESIDUE OF CHEMICALS, EITHER PESTICIDES, HERBICIDES, OR FUNGICIDES ...

$3.00 for an organically grown onion as opposed to 50 cents for a CONVENTIONALLY grown onion ... WHY ?

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Ah but there already is a "middle ground" ...

by Hoke » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:35 pm

well, there's a lot in your reply, Bill. But I think I will address only certain aspects of it...

When you call yourself CONVENTIONAL (which means either you're shouting loudly, or you haven't been able to figure out any other way to underline when you're posting here, and I don't know which it is) that has a very specific meaning to me, Bill, as an argument for the so-called "agribusiness" model as represented by the megacorps, which resolutely ands stoutly defend chemical-based farming. Had you bothered to explain that you are highly into sustainable farming principles (for which, by the way I applaud you), and thus not at all what I perceive a "CONVENTIONAL" farmer to be, we would have had a better mutual understanding of what was being discussed.

Here's the way I (and many of my colleagues) see the spectrum:

Conventional---Sustainable---BioIntensive---Organic---Biodynamic

Of course, I beleive it shouldn't be placed in a spectrum format, but rather a series of potentially overlapping circles. I do that because I don't believe there is necessarily a linear development from one to the other, or an "either/or" situation. You are not, by any general definition, a CONVENTIONAL farmer, since you have moved firmly into the Sustainable mode (and IPM, and BioIntensive, and even well into the Organic--NonCertified mode by some definitions).

See, it's that old semantics thing again: when you say you are CONVENTIONAL, you are saying you follow the conventions of the past, and are not willing to embrace the present or the future. Obviously, that's not the case. So why call yourself, so devoutly and so loudly, a CONVENTIONAL farmer, Bill?

I can understand your anger at the dogma of Organics (movements often get hijacked by the most strident and uncompromising of evangelicals, many of whom are more interesting in antagonizing than bringing together, and do that by demonizing "the other side"). What I can't understand is your adherence to CONVENTION, when you are (by my definition) being radically unconventional.

And finally,

$3.00 for an organically grown onion as opposed to 50 cents for a CONVENTIONALLY grown onion ... WHY ?

Sorry, straw man there. You know why, just as well as I do: because someone...some one...is out to make about $2.50 windfall product off the gullible. Or, being charitable, maybe just $2.47. What, you're going to condemn the entire organics philosophy because one grower tries to make a killing??? C'mon, Bill. :wink:
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:35 pm

%^)

You're right, Hoke ... I'm shouting and apologize ...

Based on my experience and knowledge of farming and farmers across this country, to me "conventional" has equaled "sustainable" for years now ... but the vast majority of the average consumers only knows either "conventional" or "organic" based on where they think their food comes from and the fact you rarely if ever see any other type of food displayed in the produce section aside from "conventional/sustainable" except for "organic" ... if farm organizations and the media don't want to try to educate the consumer, how will they ever know about "conventional ---sustainable --- biointensive --- organic --- biodynamic ?"

I'm not condemning the entire organics philosophy because one grower tries to make a killing ... the price is not the object ... the object is that somewhat over a quarter of food sold as organic isn't and the methods used to produce organic food is not as safe as those methods used to produce conventional/sustainable food ... and it just so happens along the way that food sold as organic demands a much higher price from the consumer at the same time that the farmer is paid more for organically grown food than is the farmer who produces it otherwise ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:03 pm

Okay, Bill, I get your point.

I agree, for whatever reason---the sound bite approach of the media, or the average consumers need for over-simplistic 'either/or' choices---I can see the coventional versus organic dichotomy.

I wish, like you, that we could adequately depict the middle ground that many people occupy: that there are quite a few farmers that while considered 'conventional', are just as interested in being responsible stewards of the land as their 'organic' peers.

I certainly don't follow strict adherence to organic certificaiton. Heck, one of the wineries that I was responsible for farmed "organically" for several years (and as we know, that meant he was farming sustainably). Yet, when he was asked why he never bothered to apply for certification despite having put forth the effort for all that time, he replied, "I do it because it's the right thing to do for the land and the vines. Not for some stamp of approval. And there might come the day---fungus, or mold or mildew, or whatever---when I might have to use some of those forbidden things. Because it's the right thing to do. And what do I do about certification then?"

But the thing that stuck with me was that he was doing it because "it was the right thing to do". And it has been my estimation that people will often do something because "it's the right thing to do", but corporations won't. Because to a corporation, money, profit and investor returns are considered the only things right and proper.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:22 pm

Hoke wrote:And it has been my estimation that people will often do something because "it's the right thing to do", but corporations won't. Because to a corporation, money, profit and investor returns are considered the only things right and proper.

%^)

While Mark and I have been practicing sustainable agricultural practices for years, it has been just the last 5 years or so that many of our customers have been asking for proof that we do so ... so in order to keep their business, we have taken on yet another new job of reassuring our customers that we, in fact, do practice sustainable agriculture ... I have little doubt that the "big boy" corporations which grow food in our industry, i.e., Dole, Del Monte, Ocean Spray, etc., are having to do the same thing ... perhaps the threat of losing major customers drug them "kicking and screaming" from conventional to sustainable agriculture but I would like to believe they did it because they just plain wanted to be better stewards of the land, regardless of their size or profit motives ...

Clink !

%^)
Last edited by Bill Spencer on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:23 pm

Hoke wrote:
But the thing that stuck with me was that he was doing it because "it was the right thing to do". And it has been my estimation that people will often do something because "it's the right thing to do", but corporations won't. Because to a corporation, money, profit and investor returns are considered the only things right and proper.

...which is why, buy from local farmers whenever you can.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 pm

...or the average consumers need for over-simplistic 'either/or' choices
Hate to break in on this love fest, guys. But, give the average consumer the benefit of the doubt. Over-simplistic; either/or choices is what we are given, not what we need. The vast majority of us, while we may not know the differences, are quite capable of understanding the differences. If not educated, we are educable! If there is simplistic shorthand being used, it is in food labeling. I've never seen a food ad or gone into a grocery store where there was anything other than Organic as a generic shorthand label for communicating how a food item was produced -- leaving us average consumers to assume all else on the shelf is...well, CONVENTIONAL (whatever that means). I asked to be educated about Organic, remember! But, I want information that is fair and balanced, and not the usual fear mongering, one-sided, speech baiting that is too often the norm in what passes for civil discourse. So, just what is Conventional---Sustainable---BioIntensive---Organic---Biodynamic, prey tell?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:15 pm

The vast majority of us, while we may not know the differences, are quite capable of understanding the differences. If not educated, we are educable!

Seven years of trying to teach science convinced me otherwise.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:20 pm

But, I want information that is fair and balanced, and not the usual fear mongering, one-sided, speech baiting that is too often the norm in what passes for civil discourse.

Sweet! 8)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:40 pm

Seven years of trying to teach science convinced me otherwise.
Self evaluation is a noble pursuit!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:11 pm

Jo Ann wrote:But, I want information that is fair and balanced, and not the usual fear mongering, one-sided, speech baiting that is too often the norm in what passes for civil discourse.

%^)

I just went back and read every reply in this topic ... IMHO there is an absolute TON of information, most of it fair and balanced ... and not to be disagreeable but consumers are only educatable if they choose to educate themselves ... the internet is truly a wonderful thing ... and whose job is it to educate the consumer once that person has left the higher education system and has in fact become an adult consumer ? Unless you want to do it yourself through something as easy to access as the internet, you are left with the media ... "feel good" pieces don't sell - only "bad news" or scary" news pieces evidently attract the viewer ... bottomline - all the consumer cares about is either the cheapest food available regardless of where it comes from or how it's produced or "feel good" organic food that in many cases is far from organic ... it's just like our government - Congress and the President with the lowest approval ratings in history ... anybody wanna bet the vast majority of Congress will easily be re-elected ? We go around beating our breast but don't do anything about it ... the same with our food - do we really want to spend the time and effort to find out anything about how it's produced and where it comes from ?

Clink !

%^)

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:18 pm

consumers are only educatable if they choose to educate themselves
educable = ability; educate = intent. The fact that people don't choose to educate themselves about a thing doesn't mean that they don't have the ability to learn about it. I guess I just have greater confidence in the ability and intent of the American public than some. I agree, the internet is interesting and powerful, but it can be difficult and confusing separating the wheat from the chaff. As for the rest of your comment -- I don't have a clue of what the hell you are talking about, although I am convinced that somewhere in there is meaning.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:39 pm

Jo Ann wrote:
consumers are only educatable if they choose to educate themselves
educable = ability; educate = intent. The fact that people don't choose to educate themselves about a thing doesn't mean that they don't have the ability to learn about it. I guess I just have greater confidence in the ability and intent of the American public than some. I agree, the internet is interesting and powerful, but it can be difficult and confusing separating the wheat from the chaff. As for the rest of your comment -- I don't have a clue of what the hell you are talking about, although I am convinced that somewhere in there is meaning.

Don't know what your problem is, Jo Ann, but I seem to understand pretty clearly what Bill was talking about: he was responding to your jibe/complaint about educating and being educated...or becoming educated.

You seemed to be saying that you wanted "fair and balanced" commentary on organics because you weren't getting it. Excuse me? What the hell were we talking about all that time. Plenty of content if you cared to look for it...as there is plenty of content all over the web if you care to look for. Or, for that matter, in libraries and bookstores and newspapers. Heck, all over the place.

Knowledge...and understanding...is not passive; it's a pursuit. You can either have something distilled for you (reduced down to easily digestible and usually content free bits) or you can pursue the information out there and form your own opinion. You want separation of wheat and chaff to be easy? Usually doesn't work that way. Sorry.

First you complain about processed info, then you complain about too much info. What's your nickname...Goldilocks? :)

Heck, while this thread developed, I couldn't help but notice that there was an excellent summative article on organic (and how it differed from non-organic) farming posted on my ATT/Yahoo portal page. For a few days. Had all kinds of links to other articles, and all kinds of references to people and places where interested people could learn more. If they wanted.

So now you've ranked on Stuart (good one, by the way; he usually doesn't leave himself open for a setup like that), and you've ranked on Bill. Now rank on me.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:42 pm

Hoke,

I haven't heard the word "rank" used in the context you used it since the nineteen sixties. We used to stand on the corner and "rank" each other out for sport, and I was pretty good at it, if I may so myself... ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:54 pm

Thomas wrote:Hoke,

I haven't heard the word "rank" used in the context you used it since the nineteen sixties. We used to stand on the corner and "rank" each other out for sport, and I was pretty good at it, if I may so myself... ;)

Yup, same derivation, Thomas. Seemed appropriate.

And I bet you were...
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:13 pm

So now you've ranked on Stuart (good one, by the way; he usually doesn't leave himself open for a setup like that), and you've ranked on Bill. Now rank on me.
No need. I would never be able to surpass the incredibly superior job you are doing in publicly demonstrating your own limitations.

But, for all of you whose sensibilities I have disturbed with my sincere queries, please forgive my ineptitude. While I hold my opinions dear, your opinions matter equally to me as leaders in the industry, dedicated aficionados, and able foodies, because I don't wish to be held hostage to only my limited experiences. Apparently I have lost something in the translation and my skill at communication has not come across as affable as I had intended. I will gently bow out of your personal conversations. Thank you for the opportunity.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:40 pm

Hey, Jo Ann, for the record, your "rank" didn't bother me a bit. That's the nature of give-and-take.

But after seven years of teaching, thousands of students, and fifteen years of seeing the crap my wife watches on TV ("But Dr. Oz says..."), I just don't believe that most people want to learn critical thinking or are even capable of it. My students just wanted to pass the test, they didn't give a rat's about understanding the material.

Even intelligent people like my wife just want a simple, bottom-line answer, and they're unlikely to get it. They just want to do what Oprah tells them. And if Oprah says organic is good, then there ya go. All other argument is just noise from those dumb scientists. If they were as smart as her, they'd be billionaire celebrities, too.

And before you try the same rank again, my teacher ratings were outstanding. :lol:
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:15 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
And before you try the same rank again, my teacher ratings were outstanding. :lol:

Obviously, the product of cronyism ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:12 pm

Obviously, the product of cronyism

I think some under the table cash flowed...
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:30 pm

Jo Ann wrote:
No need. I would never be able to surpass the incredibly superior job you are doing in publicly demonstrating your own limitations.

But, for all of you whose sensibilities I have disturbed with my sincere queries, please forgive my ineptitude. While I hold my opinions dear, your opinions matter equally to me as leaders in the industry, dedicated aficionados, and able foodies, because I don't wish to be held hostage to only my limited experiences. Apparently I have lost something in the translation and my skill at communication has not come across as affable as I had intended. I will gently bow out of your personal conversations. Thank you for the opportunity.

As you have figured out, I'm very good at public displays. My own limitations? Oooo. Reminds me of the old David Niven quip on Oscar night. :wink:

No sense getting your underwear bunched, Jo Ann. Neither Stuart, nor Bill, nor I took offense at your snarks. Why should you at ours? That's what this place is about, give and take (within civil limits; and this has been). Unless it's give but not take?? Relax. Loosen up. Chill.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:31 pm

Thomas wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:

Obviously, the product of cronyism ;)

Why does the vision of Stuart As Teacher conjure up A Brilliant Mind? Not that he looks like Russell Crowe either.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:42 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Seven years of trying to teach science convinced me otherwise.

And fifteen years in the service industry made me arrive at the same conclusion.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:09 am

So, just what is Conventional---Sustainable---BioIntensive---Organic---Biodynamic, prey tell?
I know what the terms are, but I don't know the relevance of each when I am trying to be a discriminating consumer who is trying to hold up my end of the bargain in support of the small farmer and trying to avoid further damage to our delicate eco-environments. Despite all the rhetoric, hot air, plenty of content (most of it garbage, BTW), references and links -- the question has yet to be answered.
your underwear
Thou art full of assumptions!
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:26 am

Jo Ann wrote:
So, just what is Conventional---Sustainable---BioIntensive---Organic---Biodynamic, prey tell?
I know what the terms are, but I don't know the relevance of each when I am trying to be a discriminating consumer who is trying to hold up my end of the bargain in support of the small farmer and trying to avoid further damage to our delicate eco-environments. Despite all the rhetoric, hot air, plenty of content (most of it garbage, BTW), references and links -- the question has yet to be answered.
your underwear
Thou art full of assumptions!

JoAnn,

Although I don't know how you could have, you may have missed Randy's post on this subject--here it is again (disregard the "irrespectives" and such--it's a govt document; they may want it as the national language, but English is not their strength):

"Here is what I believe to be an excellent review article on organic foods vs. conventional foods, without any histrionics. It answers many of my questions -- maybe it will do so for all of you as well. Sorry the pagenation is a little sloppy, but I'm too lazy to change it. Smile"

INTRODUCTION — Organically grown foods are foods that are grown or processed without the use of synthetic fertilizers or pesticides [1-5]. Organic farmers attempt to protect the environment by using natural matter (eg, aged manure, humus, and compost) for fertilizer and biological methods of pest control (eg, crop rotation and natural insect predators like lady bugs) [2,4,6]. Livestock and poultry used for egg, dairy, and meat production are raised on organically grown feed and without antibiotics or hormones [6].

The standards for growing and labeling organic food may vary depending upon the certifying organization or agency. The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Food and Agriculture Organization [7], as well as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of the United States have adopted or proposed guidelines for the production, processing, labeling, and marketing of organic foods in an attempt to ensure that all foods that are labeled organic meet the same minimum standards.

As of October 21, 2002, food that is labeled "organic" in the United States must meet the standards of the USDA. The USDA organic seal indicates that a food is at least 95 percent organic; however, the use of this seal is voluntary. Products with less than 70 percent organic ingredients may list individual organically produced ingredients on the side panel, but may not claim to be organic on the front of the package [8].

Consumer demand for organic foods has grown steadily during the past decade [6,9]. Organic foods are available increasingly in supermarkets and chain food stores [4,6,10,11]. Although organic foods accounted for only 1.8 percent of national food sales in 2003, organic farming is one of the fastest growing segments of American agriculture. Producers, exporters, and retailers are struggling to meet consumer demand for a wide range of organic food products [6]. By 2010, sales of organic foods are estimated to rise to 3.5 percent of total retail food sales in the United States [6].

According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), the area of farmland devoted to organic crop production more than doubled between 1990 and 2005, increasing from 1 million acres to 2.3 million acres. Currently, certified organic farmland is found in all 50 states [12].
Several large food companies (eg, Sunrise cereal from General Mills Company) have begun to market organic products.
The value of retail sales of organic foods was approximately $10 billion in 2003. Sales of organic foods are estimated to rise to $24 billion by 2010 (approximately 20 percent annually) [6]. Fresh produce (fruits and vegetables) are the top-selling organic category (93 percent in 2003), followed by nondairy beverages, breads and grains, packaged foods, and dairy products [4,6].
The increased demand for organically grown food can be attributed to [1,2,4-6,11,13,14]:

Concern about the nutritional adequacy of foods grown by conventional agriculture
Concern that pesticides and chemical fertilizers have adverse health effects
Concern about environmental effects of pesticides and chemical fertilizers
Demand for food purity has increased despite governmental assurances that the American food supply is one of the safest in the world [11,15]. Organically grown foods are promoted and perceived by consumers to be healthier than conventionally grown foods [9,13,16].

Pediatric healthcare providers should be prepared to help the parents of their patients make informed decisions regarding the purchase and consumption of organic foods.

NUTRITION — Advocates of organic foods claim that organically grown foods are nutritionally superior to foods grown with conventional agriculture methods that use chemical fertilizers [2,11,13,17]. Many people believe that commercial fertilizers lack some nutrients that are present in "natural" organic fertilizers. They argue that "natural" fertilizers are better able to nourish plants and thus result in more nutritious foods [11].

The nutrient content of a plant is determined by several factors, including the genetic makeup, climate and soil conditions, maturity at harvest, storage, and distribution time [2,18]. Nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous, the main soil nutrients required by crops, must be present in sufficient amounts for plants to grow [19].

Fertilization enriches soil by providing the necessary nutrients. It does not matter whether organic or synthetic fertilizers are used as long as all of the essential nutrients are provided [19]. Synthetic fertilizers are formulated to meet this requirement. Organic fertilizers may or may not. Organic fertilizers (typically manure) must be converted to soluble mineral salts by soil bacteria before they can be utilized by plants [19]. Manure breakdown cannot be synchronized with crop growth. In addition, the nutrient benefit of manure is unpredictable because its composition varies [3].

Nutrient-deficient soil affects crop yields to a greater extent than does nutritional value [18]. The nutritional value of organically and conventionally grown foods usually are similar; however, organic vegetables may have lower nitrate and protein content [1,5,20].

COST — Organically grown foods may cost 50 to 100 percent more than conventionally grown foods [6,21], the reasons for which include [3,22]:

The smaller supply; organic farmers are fewer and crop yields and smaller
The increased labor intensity of growing food without synthetic pesticides and chemicals
FOOD SAFETY — Three areas of food safety to consider when comparing organic and conventionally grown foods are microbial infection, natural toxins, and pesticide use.

Microbial infection — Microbial infection is the main cause of food-related illness [23]. Young children are particularly vulnerable because of the immaturity of their immune systems [24,25]. Escherichia coli (E. coli) 0157:H7, Salmonella, Listeria monocytogenese, and Campylobacter jejuni are the major pathogens of foodborne illness [25]. (See "Food poisoning in children", section on Common and emerging microbial agents).

Foods, whether organically or conventionally grown, can become contaminated by fertilization with raw manure, irrigation of crops with contaminated water, or inadvertent contact with fecal matter during handling or processing. Illness caused by E. coli O157:H7, for example, has been linked to fresh-pressed apple juice and cider [5,26]. Pasteurization, canning, and freezing help to prevent illness caused by Salmonella, E. coli, Campylobacter, and Listeria monocytogenes contamination [27,28]. An increasing number of major food-borne disease outbreaks have been linked to consumption of fecal contamination of fresh or minimally processed produce [11,29-32].

The prevention of foodborne illness requires safe food handling practices for both organic and conventional foods. These measures include (show table 1):

Thoroughly cooking meat
Storing foods at appropriate temperatures
Preventing cross-contamination from meats and poultry to other foods
Keeping hands, tools, and kitchen surfaces clean
Natural toxins — Some foods, whether organically or conventionally grown, contain naturally occurring toxins: aflatoxins in peanuts and grains, solanine in green parts of potatoes, goitrogens in some raw vegetables, and other poisons in mushrooms and herbs [11]. Most of these naturally occurring toxins are harmless when eaten in small amounts as part of a healthy diet [11]. As with pesticides, "poison" is a matter of dose [33].

Pesticides — Much of the debate about organic and conventional agriculture centers on the use of pesticides. Promoters of organic foods suggest that the pesticides used in commercial farming are detrimental to food safety and health [14]. Surveys show that individuals who purchase organic foods believe that pesticides, at any level of exposure, are hazardous to health, food safety, and the environment, and that something must be done to reduce this risk [23,34,35].

Many people are frightened by reports that lack scientific peer review. Media attention may perpetuate this misinformation. In 1989, for example, the media portrayed alar, a growth regulator used mainly on apples, as a potent cancer-causing threat to children. As a result, apples and apple products treated with alar were destroyed and alar was voluntarily withdrawn from the domestic market. However, many health authorities, including the Surgeon General and the American Medical Association, issued statements that alar poses no risk to the public's health when used in the approved, regulated fashion [23].

Organic foods contain synthetic pesticide residues, but they usually are present in smaller amounts than in conventionally grown foods [5,36,37]. Cross-contamination by wind and groundwater may account for the pesticide residues found on organically grown foods because organic farmers avoid the use of synthetic pesticides [11,15,38,39]. In addition, all plants produce toxins ("natural pesticides") that protect them from fungi, insects, and predators [11,40,41]. Plant varieties that have been developed to be naturally pest-resistant may contain increased amounts of natural pesticides and have adverse health effects [11,42].

Benefits — Careful and judicious use of pesticides permits a more abundant food supply. Pesticides increase crop yields and affordability of fruits and vegetables throughout the year. They also may prolong shelf life and retard mold growth [43].

Adverse effects — Potential adverse effects from too much exposure to a pesticide range from mild symptoms of dizziness and nausea to serious, long-term neurologic, developmental, and reproductive disorders.

Compared to adults, infants and young children have different levels of risk for adverse effects of pesticides. Several reasons are [23,44-48]:

Children eat relatively more food (particularly fruits and vegetables) per unit of body weight than do adults.
Children tend to eat large quantities of single foods for days or weeks on end.
Children's behaviors, such as playing on the floor and placing hands and objects in their mouths, may increase exposures to pesticides.
A child's developing organ systems may be more susceptible to the effects of pesticides (eg, nervous system) or less able to clear the metabolites (eg, renal).
Infants and children may have unique exposure pathways such as through the placenta and through breast milk.
Exposure in utero — Effects of pesticides may depend on the developmental stage when exposure occurs [49]. There is some evidence from animal studies that in utero exposure to organophosphate (OP) pesticides at high doses may affect neurodevelopment and growth in the offspring [50,51]. The few studies that have focused specifically on pesticide exposure of children in utero indicate that OP pesticides are transferred to the developing fetus during pregnancy [52-55].

Studies about associations between maternal pesticide exposure and fetal growth have conflicting results. In one study of an urban cohort of pregnant women and newborns in Manhattan, measurements of OP pesticides (chlorpyrifos and diazinon) were inversely associated with both birth weight and length prior to 2001 [56,57]. The adverse association between OP exposure and fetal growth disappeared within a year of the EPA regulatory action to phase out these pesticides. Conversely, in a birth cohort in California, maternal organochlorine exposure was not associated with birth weight, length, or length of gestation [58].

Women living in agricultural communities appear to have higher levels of exposure to pesticides. Urinary metabolites of OP pesticides were measured during pregnancy and after delivery in 600 women residing in an agricultural community in California [53]. Metabolite levels during pregnancy and postpartum were higher in this population than in a sample of women of childbearing age in the general U.S. population. The differences were more pronounced at the post-partum measurement, when levels were 2.5 times higher than in the reference population. These findings may have implications for estimating dose of exposure during pregnancy and lactation.

There is some evidence supporting an association between OP exposure and alterations in neonatal neurobehavior [59]. In the cohort described above, neonatal neurobehavior was assessed with the Brazelton Neonatal Behavioral Assessment Scale (BNBAS), and in utero and early postnatal OP exposure was measured by urinary OP metabolites. The study revealed a correlation between prenatal urinary metabolite levels and abnormal reflexes in the infants. However, no detrimental assocations were found between postnatal urinary metabolite levels and any of the neurodevelopmental measures.

Exposure in childhood — Most evidence indicates that traces of pesticide residues in foods are not a problem for most people [60]. However, data are limited regarding the toxicologic consequences of exposure to pesticide residue during infancy and early childhood [61].

Children who live in agricultural settings may be exposed to higher levels of OP pesticides than their urban counterparts [62-65]. Children of farmworkers may be exposed to pesticides tracked into their homes by household members, by pesticide drift, by playing in contaminated areas, or through breastmilk from their farmworker mother [49]. Researchers in Washington State found that the median metabolite pesticide levels in 109 preschool children of agricultural workers were five times higher than in those in a reference population [66]. Studies are currently examining the effectiveness of interventions to reduce pesticide exposure to this population, including education of parents in pesticide safety and to remove contaminated shoes and clothing before entering the home, and to keep children away from pesticide-treated areas [64,67].

Pesticide regulation — Use of pesticide is regulated strictly by three federal agencies: the EPA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the USDA [68].

The EPA establishes a tolerance for all pesticides that are registered and approved for use in the United States [69]. Tolerance is defined as the legal limit of a pesticide residue allowed in or on a raw agricultural commodity and, in appropriate cases, on processed foods [61]. The pesticide tolerance for various crops or chemicals can be obtained from the EPA's Web site: http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/food/viewtols.htm.

The EPA uses toxicity data from animal studies that attempt to mimic human exposure (eg, continuous low-level ingestion) to determine tolerance levels. Multigenerational animal studies are used to determine the pesticide's effects on reproduction, pregnancy, and lactation [70].

If studies suggest that children may be harmed by exposure to a pesticide, the EPA does not approve the pesticide's use or requires action to reduce the potential risks. Examples for which consideration for the health of infants and children affected decisions include (pmep.cce.cornell.edu/issues/foodsafety-issues.html):

The tolerances for the pesticide pydrin on alfalfa and sorghum were not approved In 1985 because of concern regarding risks to children from secondary residues in milk.
The EPA limited the use of two organophosphate pesticides, methyl parathion and azinphos methyl, in 1999.
Another organophosphate pesticide, chlopyrifos (Dursban), was banned in 2000.
In 2001, the EPA began to phase out diazinon, one of the most widely used organophosphate pesticides [71].
In 1993, the National Research Council (NRC) issued a report on pesticides in the diets of infants and children [61]. The report concluded that children may be exposed to relatively larger amounts of certain pesticide residues than are adults and that the exposure occurs at a vulnerable point in their development. It acknowledged the need for reassessment of pesticide tolerances that would apply specifically to infants and children and recommended the collection of data that would more accurately reflect the dietary patterns of children and the effects of pesticide exposure in infants and children [44,46,61].

The NRC report triggered passage of the Food Quality Protection Act (FQPA) in 1996. The FQPA required the EPA to review and reassess all existing pesticide tolerances to make them safer for infants and children by 2006 [72,73]. The FQPA required the EPA to apply an additional 10-fold margin of safety to its pesticide assessments to address the potential for pre- and postnatal toxicity and to compensate for gaps or inadequacies in the available database regarding potential health risks to infants and children [74-76]. The EPA is required to apply the 10-fold safety factor unless there are reliable data to support use of a different safety factor to protect infants and children [46,75,77].

As of August 3, 2006, the EPA had completed 9637, or more than 99 percent, of the planned tolerance reassessments; the remaining tolerance reassessment cases are to be completed by October 3, 2008. The tolerance reassessment process has led to EPA decisions to revoke or modify thousands of existing tolerances (3200 and 1200, respectively), and to require the establishment of many new tolerances, improving food safety and health protection. The new tolerances also ensure that pesticides used on foods meet the stringent FQPA safety standards [78].

Tolerance levels are enforced by the USDA for meat and poultry and by the FDA for all other foods. The FDA specifically analyzes for pesticide residues all foods eaten by infants and children. As an example, pesticide residues on apples, bananas, oranges, pears, grape and orange juice, and milk were monitored by the FDA between 1985 and 1991 [68,79,80]. More than 10,000 food samples were analyzed before processing and without washing or peeling. Fifty samples (0.5 percent) were in violation (0.3 percent of domestic products and 0.6 percent of imports). The majority of these violations occurred because the pesticide was not approved for use on that particular food.

The FDA monitors nutritional concerns, including pesticide exposure, through the Total Diet Study. This study examines 234 foods selected to typify the American diet. Between 1985 and 1991, analysis of these foods revealed:

No residues were found in infant formulas
No residues over the EPA tolerance or FDA action level were found in any of the "market basket" foods
Low levels of malathion were found in some cereals
Low levels of thiabendazole, a post-harvest fungicide, were found on some fruits and fruit products
The Total Diet Study findings for 2003 were consistent with previous FDA reports in that pesticide residues were below regulatory standards. An adjunct survey of baby foods also provided evidence of only small amounts of pesticide residues between 1991 and 2003 [81].

Reduction of exposure — Most pesticides begin to break down soon after application with exposure to sunlight and rain; they continue to break down after harvest [82]. Additional pesticide reduction can be achieved through washing, peeling, cooking, or processing of foodstuffs [68].

As an example, in the FDA monitoring described above, the highest residue level of the fungicide thiabendazole in raw apples was 2 parts per million (ppm), in apple juice was 0.08 ppm, and in applesauce was 0.06 ppm. The established tolerance is 10 ppm [68].

Canned or frozen fruits and vegetables are alternatives to fresh fruits and vegetables for individuals concerned about pesticide residues. Most current food preservation techniques minimize the loss of nutritive value and are safe and well standardized [83]. One comparative analysis of fresh, frozen, and canned vegetables conducted by the University of Illinois found that canned foods are nutritionally equivalent to their fresh and frozen counterparts [84].

Organic diets appear to reduce OP exposure in children. In one study of a group of 39 preschool-aged children in Washington State, children consuming a conventional diet had urinary dimethyl OP metabolites six to nine times higher than children consuming an organic diet [85]. In another study, the short-term effects of changing to an organic diet were measured in 23 school-aged children [86]. After only 24 to 48 hours of the organic diet, urinary OP metabolites (malathion and chloropyrifos) decreased to nondetectable levels. However, whether this reduction of urinary OP metabolites has any relevance to health outcomes has not been shown.

SUMMARY — "Organically grown" refers to the methods used to grow and process agricultural products (eg, fruits, vegetables, dairy, meat, and poultry) and is not related to nutritional quality or food safety [1,5,11]. Both organic and conventional farming supply nutritious foods when selected as part of a well-balanced diet [11,15,87].

Factors to consider when deciding whether to use organic products include:

Organic foods are not free of synthetic pesticide residues, but probably contain smaller amounts than are present on conventionally grown foods. Thus, organically grown foods provide an alternative source of fruits and vegetables for individuals who are concerned about synthetic pesticides. (See "Reduction of exposure" above).
Infants and children may be more susceptible to the adverse effects of pesticides than are adults. (See "Exposure in utero" above, and see "Exposure in childhood" above).
In general, the traces of pesticide residue that are found in food pose little threat to human health. Potential adverse effects of pesticide exposure on special populations include neurologic, developmental, and reproductive disorders. (See "Exposure in utero" above and see "Adverse effects" above).
Populations involved in agricultural work have higher levels of pesticide exposure, but evidence of adverse effects of such exposure levels is limited. (See "Exposure in utero" above and see "Exposure in childhood" above).
Pesticides help to maintain an abundant and varied food supply. Pesticide use is regulated by the EPA and enforced by the USDA and the FDA. Efforts are being made to ensure that these regulations are appropriate for infants and children. (See "Pesticide regulation" above).
Exposure to pesticide residue in either organic or conventionally grown food can be reduced through washing, peeling, cooking, or processing of foods. (See "Reduction of exposure" above).
Organic food production does not eliminate the risk of foodborne illness, and "organic" should not be interpreted as meaning "safe". (See "Microbial infection" above).
Organic farming supports smaller, family-owned farms and may be more environmentally friendly [5].
RECOMMENDATIONS — Despite the possible risks of pesticide residues, the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Dietetic Association, the American Medical Society, and the American Cancer Society recommend a diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables, with between five and nine servings of these foods daily [88-90].

Irrespective of the food production system, food safety measures are important [5]. The following steps can be taken to reduce exposure to foodborne pathogens and pesticides:

Buy the freshest foods available. They will have the best taste and highest nutrient (ie, vitamin) content.
Consider using frozen or canned fruits and vegetables as an alternative or supplement to fresh produce. These foods maintain most of their nutritional value and may also reduce pesticide exposure as compared to fresh produce.
Eat a variety of foods to ensure a balanced nutritional intake and to lessen contamination from any one source.
Select produce that is free of dirt, insect holes, mold, or decay. (See "Natural toxins" above).
Always wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly with a dish brush.
Do not use soap or other detergents.
Peel fruits and vegetables before eating and throw away the outer leaves of leafy vegetables. Some nutrients and fiber may be lost when produce is peeled.
Trim fat from meat and skin from poultry and fish because some pesticide residues are concentrated in fat.
Make sure that apple juice and cider are pasteurized, to reduce the risk of food-borne illness such as E.Coli 0157 [25,91]. (See "Microbial infection" above).
Additional information about food safety is available from the USDA and FDA Food Safety Web sites [92,93].

Use of UpToDate is subject to the Subscription and License Agreement.

REFERENCES
1. Fisher, BE. Organic: What's in a name? Environ Health Perspect 1999; 107:A150.
2. Worthington, V. Effect of agricultural methods on nutritional quality: A comparison of organic with conventional crops. Altern Ther Health Med 1998; 4:58.
3. Trewavas, A. Urban myths of organic farming. Nature 2001; 410:409.
4. Dimitri C, Greene, C. Recent growth patterns in the U.S. organic foods market. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service. Agricultural Information Bulletin (AIB) Number 777, September, 2002; Available at: http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/aib777/aib777.pdf (Accessed on April 25, 2007).
5. Bourn, D, Prescott, J. A comparison of the nutritional value, sensory qualities, and food safety of organically and conventionally produced foods. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2002; 42:1.
6. Olberholtzer, L, Dimitri, C, Greene, C. Price premiums hold on as U.S. organic produce market expands. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Outlook Report Number VGS-308-01, May 2005. Available at: http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/vg ... /VGS30801/ (Accessed on April 25, 2007).
7. Kapp, C. International food committee agrees on organic food guidelines. Lancet 1999; 354:314.
8. The National Organic Program. Available at: http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/indexNet.htm (Accessed on February 28, 2007).
9. Magkos, F, Arvaniti, F, Zampelas, A. Organic food: buying more safety or just peace of mind? A critical review of the literature. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2006; 46:23.
10. Greene, C. U.S. organic agriculture gaining ground. Nutrition Weekly, Community Nutrition Institute, Washington, DC, April 14, 2000.
11. Magkos, F, Arvaniti, F, Zampelas, A. Putting the safety of organic food into perspective. Nutr Res Rev 2003; 16:211.
12. United States Department of Agriculture. Economic Research Service. Organic production. Available at: http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/Organic/ (Accessed on January 7, 2007).
13. Williams, PR, Hammitt, JK. A comparison of organic and conventional fresh produce buyers in the Boston area. Risk Anal 2000; 20:735.
14. Williams, PR, Hammitt, JK. Perceived risks of conventional and organic produce: pesticides, pathogens, and natural toxins. Risk Anal 2001; 21:319.
15. Organic foods: are they better?. J Am Diet Assoc 1990; 90:367.
16. Brandt, K, Molgaard, JP. Organic agriculture: does it enhance or reduce the nutritional value of plant foods? J Sci Food Agric 2001; 81:921.
17. Morkeberg, A, Porter, JR. Organic movement reveals a shift in the social position of science. Nature 2001; 412:677.
18. Hornick, SB. Factors affecting the nutritional quality of crops. Am J Altern Agric 1992; 7:63.
19. Whiting, D, Wilson, C, Card, A. Plant nutrition. Colorado State University Cooperative Extension No. 7.730. March, 2005. Available at: cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/231.pdf (Accessed on April 25, 2007).
20. Woese, K, Lange, D, Boess, et al. A comparison of organically and conventionally grown foods-Results of a review of the relevant literature. J Sci Food Agric 1997; 74:281.
21. Sak, E, Glaser, L. Tracking wholesale prices for organic produce. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service. Agricultural Outlook 2001. Available at: http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/ag ... ao285d.pdf (Accessed on January 30, 2007).
22. Leckie, J. Is organic food production feasible?. Nutr Health 1999; 13:109.
23. Position of the American Dietetic Association. Food and water safety. J Am Diet Assoc 1997; 97:184.
24. Outbreaks of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infection and cryptosporidiosis associated with drinking unpasteurized apple cider--Connecticut and New York, October 1996. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1997; 46:4.
25. McCabe-Sellers, BJ, Beattie, SE. Food safety: emerging trends in foodborne illness surveillance and prevention. J Am Diet Assoc 2004; 104:1708.
26. Besser, RE, Lett, SM, Weber, T, et al. An outbreak of diarrhea and hemolytic uremic syndrome from Escherichia coli 0157:H7 in fresh-pressed apple cider. JAMA 1993; 269:2217.
27. Oliver, SP, Jayarao, BM, Almeida, RA. Foodborne pathogens in milk and the dairy farm environment: food safety and public health implications. Foodborne Pathog Dis 2005; 2:115.
28. Finley, JW, Deming, DM, Smith, RE. Food processing: nutrition, safety, and quality. In: Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease (10th ed), Shils, ME, Shike, M, Ross, AC, (Eds), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia 2006.
29. Keene, WE. Lessons from investigations of foodborne disease outbreaks. JAMA 1999; 281:1845.
30. Pell, AN. Manure and microbes: public and animal health problem?. J Dairy Sci 1997; 80:2673.
31. Beuchat, LR, Ryu, JH. Produce handling and processing practices. Emerg Infect Dis 1997; 3:459.
32. Hilborn, ED, Mermin, JH, Mshar, PA, et al. A multistate outbreak of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections associated with consumption of mesclun lettuce. Arch Intern Med 1999; 159:1758.
33. U.S. Food & Drug Administration. FDA pesticide program pesticide monitoring 1993-2003. June 2005. Available at: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/pesrpts.html (Accessed on January 7, 2007).
34. Hammitt, JK. Risk perceptions and food choice: an exploratory analysis of organic- versus conventional-produce buyers. Risk Anal 1990; 10:367.
35. Williams, JL, Hillers, VN. Influences of pesticide residue and environmental concerns on organic food preference among food cooperative members and non-members in Washington State. J Nutr Educ 1994; 26:26.
36. Baker, BP, Benbrook, CM, Groth E, 3rd, Lutz Benbrook, K. Pesticide residues in conventional, integrated pest management (IPM)-grown and organic foods: insights from three US data sets. Food Addit Contam 2002; 19:427.
37. Mader, P, Fliessbach, A, Dubois, D, et al. Soil fertility and biodiversity in organic farming. Science 2002; 296:1694.
38. Gonzalez, M, Miglioranza, KS, Aizpun de, Moreno JE, Moreno, VJ. Occurrence and distribution of organochlorine pesticides (OCPs) in tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) crops from organic production. J Agric Food Chem 2003; 51:1353.
39. Wardlow, GM. Contemporary nutrition: Issues and insights, 3rd ed. Brown & Benchmark Publishers, Dubuque, IA 1997.
40. Harborne, JB. Role of secondary metabolites in chemical defense mechanisms in plants. Clin Foundation Symposium 1990; 150:126.
41. Ames, BN, Gold, LS. Pesticides, risk, and applesauce. Science 1989; 244:755.
42. Jadhav, SJ, Sharma, RP, Salunkhe, DK. Naturally occurring toxic alkaloids in foods. Crit Rev Toxicol 1981; 9:21.
43. University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. Beyond pesticides— Biological approaches to pest management in California. Agriculture and Natural Resources Publications, Oakland, CA 1992.
44. Reigart, JR. Pesticides and children. Pediatr Ann 1995; 24:663.
45. Koletzko, B, Aggett, PJ, Agostoni, C, et al. Pesticides in dietary foods for infants and young children. Report of the Working Group on Pesticides in Baby Foods of the European Society for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (ESPGHAN). Arch Dis Child 1999; 80:91.
46. Bruckner, JV. Differences in sensitivity of children and adults to chemical toxicity: the NAS panel report. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 2000; 31:280.
47. U.S. Environmental Pesticides Protection Acency. Childrens' environmental health: 2006 report. Available at: yosemite.epa.gov/ochp/ochpweb.nsf/content/CEH06_Final.htm/$file/CEH06_Final.pdf (Accessed on January 30, 2007).
48. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Pesticides: health and safety. Pesticides and food: why children may be especially sensitive to pesticides. August 2006. Available at: http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/food/pest.htm (Accessed on January 30, 2007).
49. Eskenazi, B, Bradman, A, Castorina, R. Exposures of children to organophosphate pesticides and their potential adverse health effects. Environ Health Perspect 1999; 107 suppl 3:409.
50. Brimijoin, S, Koenigsberger, C. Cholinesterases in neural development: new findings and toxicologic implications. Environ Health Perspect 1999; 107 Suppl 1:59.
51. Young, JG, Eskenazi, B, Gladstone, EA, et al. Association between in utero organophosphate pesticide exposure and abnormal reflexes in neonates. Neurotoxicology 2005; 26:199.
52. Whyatt, RM, Camann, DE, Kinney, PL, et al. Residential pesticide use during pregnancy among a cohort of urban minority women. Environ Health Perspect 2002; 110:507.
53. Bradman, A, Eskenazi, B, Barr, DB, et al. Organophosphate urinary metabolite levels during pregnancy and after delivery in women living in agricultural community. Environ Health Perspect 2005; 113:1802.
54. Richardson, RJ. Assessment of the neurotoxic potential of chlorpyrifos relative to other organophosphorus compounds: a critical review of the literature. J Toxicol Environ Health 1995; 44:135.
55. Whyatt, RM, Barr, DB, Camann, DE, et al. Contemporary-use pesticides in personal air samples during pregnancy and blood samples at delivery among urban minority mothers and newborns. Environ Health Perspect 2003; 111:749.
56. Whyatt, RM, Camann, D, Perera, FP, et al. Biomarkers in assessing residential insecticide exposures during pregnancy and effects on fetal growth. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2005; 206:246.
57. Whyatt, RM, Rauh, V, Barr, DB, et al. Prenatal insecticide exposures and birth weight and length among an urban minority cohort. Environ Health Perspect 2004; 112:1125.
58. Fenster, L, Eskenazi, B, Anderson, M, et al. Association of in utero organochlorine pesticide exposure and fetal growth and length of gestation in an agricultural population. Environ Health Perspect 2006; 114:597.
59. Young, JG, Eskenazi, B, Gladstone, EA, et al. Association between in utero organophosphate pesticide exposure and abnormal reflexes in neonates. Neurotoxicology 2005; 26:199.
60. Taylor, SL. Food additives, contaminants, and natural toxicants and their risk assessment. In: Modern nutrition in health and disease, 10th ed, Shils, ME, Shike, M, Ross, AC, Caballero, B, Cousins, RJ (Eds), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia 2006.
61. National Research Council. Pesticides in the diets of infants and children. National Academy Press, Washington, DC 1993.
62. Bouvier, G, Seta, N, Vigouroux-Villard, A, et al. Insecticide urinary metabolites in nonoccupationally exposed populations. J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev 2005; 8:485.
63. Harnly, M, McLaughlin, R, Bradman, A, et al. Correlating agricultural use of organophosphates with outdoor air concentrations: a particular concern for children. Environ Health Perspect 2005; 113:1184.
64. Fenske, RA, Lu, C, Simcox, NJ, et al. Strategies for assessing children's organophosphorus pesticide exposures in agricultural communities. J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 2000; 10:662.
65. Fenske, RA, Lu, C, Curl, CL, et al. Biologic monitoring to characterize organophosphorus pesticide exposure among children and workers: an analysis of recent studies in Washington State. Environ Health Perspect 2005; 113:1651.
66. Lu, C, Fenske, RA, Simcox, NJ, Kalman, D. Pesticide exposure of children in an agricultural community: evidence of household proximity to farmland and take home exposure pathways. Environ Res 2000; 84:290.
67. U.S. Environmental Pesticides Protection Acency. Childrens' environmental health: 2006 report. Available at: http://www.epa.gov/envirohealth/children (Accessed on January 1, 2007).
68. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA Reports on Pesticides in Foods. FDA Consumer, 1993. Available at: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/pesticid.html (Accessed on April 25, 2007).
69. Chaisson, CF, Peterson, B, Douglass, JS. Pesticides in food: A guide for professionals. American Dietetic Association, Chicago 1991.
70. United States Environmental Protection Agency, Prevention, Pesticides and Toxic Substances. For your information: Protecting the public from pesticide residues in foods. EPA Pesticide Programs, Washington, DC 1993.
71. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. EPA announces elimination of all indoor uses of widely used pesticide diazinon. December 2000. Available at: yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/016bcfb1deb9fecd85256aca005d74df/c8cdc9ea7d5ff585852569ac0077bd31!OpenDocument (Accessed on February 28, 2007).
72. Wagner, JM. Food Quality Protection Act: its impact on the pesticide industry. Qual Assur 1997; 5:279.
73. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Pesticides: regulating pesticides. Accomplishments under the Food Quality Protection Act (FQPA), August 3, 2006, Available at: hwww.epa.gov/pesticides/regulating/laws/fqpa/fqpa_accomplishments.htm (Accessed on January 4, 2007).
74. Lefferts, LY. Pesticide residues variability and acute dietary risk assessment: A consumer perspective. Food Addit Contam 2000; 17:511.
75. Renwick, AG, Dorne, JL, Walton, K. An analysis of the need for an additional uncertainty factor for infants and children. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 2000; 31:286.
76. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Protecting children from pesticides. January 2002. Available at: http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheet ... ticide.htm (Accessed on January 4, 2007).
77. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Determination of the appropriate FQPA safety factor(s) in tolerance assessment. Washington, DC. February 2002. Available at: http://www.epa.gov/oppfead1/trac/science/determ.pdf (Accessed on January 14, 2007).
78. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Accomplishments under the Food Quality Protection Act (FQPA). Available at: http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/regulatin ... hments.htm (Accessed on January 4, 2007).
79. Foulke, JE, Ames, BN, Gold, LS. Pesticide residues in your children's food. Consumers' Research Magazine 1993; 76:20.
80. Yess, NJ, Gunderson, EL, Roy, RR. U.S. Food and Drug Administration monitoring of pesticide residues in infant foods and adult foods eaten by infants/children. J AOAC Int 1993; 76:492.
81. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Pesticide program residue monitoring 2003. May 2005. Available at: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/pes03rep.html (Accessed on January 7, 2007).
82. Hotchkiss, JH. Pesticide residue controls to ensure food safety. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 1992; 31:191.
83. American Academy of Pediatrics. Pediatric nutrition handbook, 4th ed, American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove, IL 1998.
84. Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Nutrient conservation in canned, frozen, and fresh foods. Available at: http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/~nutrican/studyfinal.html (Accessed April 8, 2007).
85. Curl, CL, Fenske, RA, Elgethun, K. Organophosphorus pesticide exposure of urban and suburban preschool children with organic and conventional diets. Environ Health Perspect 2003; 111:377.
86. Lu, C, Toepel, K, Irish, R, et al. Organic diets significantly lower children's dietary exposure to organophosphorus pesticides. Environ Health Perspect 2006; 114:260.
87. Duyff, RL. The American Dietetic Association's complete food and nutrition guide. Chronimed Publishing, Minneapolis, MN 1996.
88. National Cancer Institute. Eat 5 to 9 a day for better health. Available at: http://www.5aday.gov (Accessed on December 25, 2006).
89. Van Duyn, MA, Pivonka, E. Overview of the health benefits of fruit and vegetable consumption for the dietetics professional: selected literature. J Am Diet Assoc 2000; 100:1511.
90. Lichtenstein, AH, Appel, LJ, Brands, M, et al. Diet and lifestyle recommendation revision 2006: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Nutrition Committee. Circulation 2006; 114:82.
91. EXTOX FAQs. Questions about pesticides in foods. January, 1998. Available at: extoxnet.orst.edu/faqs/index.htm (Accessed on January 7, 2007).
92. Food Safety and Inspection Service. Available at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov (Accessed on April 8, 2007).
93. Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Available at: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov (Accessed on April 8, 2007).
Thomas P
PreviousNext