Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fresh porcini! What to make?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Fresh porcini! What to make?

by wnissen » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:45 am

I've got a half-pound of medium-size (~10cm) porcini, and have never cooked with the fresh specimens. Any thoughts? Side dishes would be better.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Fresh porcini! What to make?

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:46 pm

If they're beautiful and perfect, then slice them thin on a mandoline, make a white wine, garlic, and olive oil vinaigrette, toss some mache with the vinaigrette, add the porcini slices, toss. Shredded carrot as a color garnish can be very attractive here.

A nice hot app is a fungal version of foil-wrapped chicken. Slice the porcini. Wrap each slice in foil with some olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and sage. Roast until tender, maybe 15 min at 425F.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:39 pm

Saute in butter with some sweet Vidalia onion. Add a little white wine and let it evap. Season with pepper and thyme. Make a pie crust and line a pie or tart pan with it. Make a custard out of milk, eggs and cream, season it well, and pour over the mushrooms. Bake.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:30 pm

Had some stunners lightly cooked in breadcrumbs in Turin - meaty, juicy and packed with flavour - might meet the side dish aim (or even pre-meal appetisers).
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:32 pm

Wow, what a range of preparations! Everything from raw to breaded with two baked versions in between.

I'm wary about eating them raw, since it will be just the two of us, looking to get some veggies before heading off to a pizza-and-beer dinner at poker night. I think I'll try your foil-wrapped method, and maybe throw in some white wine, that sounds like a good combination. Grilled squash, porcinis, and maybe the K&L clearance special 2004 Duboeuf Juliénas. Thanks everyone.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:17 pm

Walt, you're wise to avoid raw unless you know your body will tolerate it. Porcini allergy presents like toxic mushroom poisoning, and it's no fun.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:10 pm

I usually make a simple risotto when I have fresh porcini. I find the delicacy of fresh much more appealing in risotto than dried.

I try to keep the ingredients simple. Finely diced shallots/leeks and a little celery (optional), sauteed in butter. Add sliced porcini and cook a little longer. Add rice (prefer Carnaroli or Vialone Nano), more butter if needed, stir for 30 seconds, and begin the process of incorporating chicken stock (or a rich neutral veggie stock). Add a little fresh thyme leaves.

As the rice gets close to done, add some minced parsley and adjust the salt and white pepper. Once it is done, stir in mascarpone to taste, and/or some grated granna padano or reggiano.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Lee Short

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:08 pm

WA USA

by Lee Short » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:54 pm

Coat them lightly in olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast them at 375. Mmmmmmmm.