Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes are everywhere

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Garlic Mashed Potatoes are everywhere

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:59 pm

What is the deal with so many restaurants serving these now as if they were some sort of exotic food?
We went out of town for an anniversary get-a-way. I checked out the restaurants and went with a local one, that serves food in season and sourced from local farmers. The locals said it was great. I ordered a grilled salmon that came covered up with a sauce, so I have no idea if it was grilled, but I doubt it.
I watched what other folks ordered, many were having steaming bowls of pasta with shrimp and other seafood and seemed to be enjoying it.

This is a Mediterranean restaurant.
Are the restaurants doing the same thing in your town? How do you go about selecting a restaurant when traveling, other that searching on the web?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Garlic Mashed Potatoes are everywhere

by Howie Hart » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:44 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:...How do you go about selecting a restaurant when traveling, other that searching on the web?
Before traveling, post an inquiry in the "Wine Related Travel" forum. Quite often, somebody here will have recommendations.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:24 am

As Howie says. Between this Forum and a food/wine e-mail discussion list I've been a member of for nearly 15 years, someone always either lives where I need a rec, or travels there regularly for business or pleasure.

I've also been successful in small towns by asking people in gas stations or convenience stores if there is a restaurant in town that has food that local people just don't "get." Chances are it's a haven for food lovers and either a) ethnic, b) using ingredients in interesting ways, or c) both.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:42 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I've also been successful in small towns by asking people in gas stations or convenience stores if there is a restaurant in town that has food that local people just don't "get." Chances are it's a haven for food lovers and either a) ethnic, b) using ingredients in interesting ways, or c) both.

Very funny. And a good idea! :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:52 am

Cynthia, another method I've deployed is finding the gay area of town, if there is such a thing, or walking into high-end shops, the kind that would have interior designers, to ask about good local spots. People who have both great taste and means tend to understand good food.

But yeah re garlic mashed--they're good, but that's not special any more.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:19 am

There you go, Jenise! We food lovers are resourceful!! :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:43 pm

If there's a used bookstore in town the owner/shopkeeper is sure to be a fan of organics & thus local, and usually good food. An odd trick, but it has worked in many towns.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:29 pm

Great suggestions and so creative! Thanks.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:08 pm

Bucko's B&B is serving them tonight, along with grilled black peppercorn yellowfin tuna and green leek coulis. Yum...