Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cheesecake crust problem...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Cheesecake crust problem...

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:16 pm

I have this knockout cheesecake recipe (sweet potato bourbon) from a newspaper clipping from about 15 years ago, and consistently have one problem with it - the crust sticks to the pan. Crust is a mixture of finely-chopped pecans, sugar and egg white as a binder, and the only way I can keep it from sticking (not bad, but enough to make it difficult to get a slice off the springform pan with curst intact) is to line the pan with waxed paper, and that doesn't work very well either. I spray the pan with oil beforehand, then press the crust into place and back 10 minutes before putting the batter in, per the directions. What can I do to solve the problem without changing the basic crust?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Cheesecake crust problem...

by Randy Buckner » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:37 pm

Robert, I may be all wet, but after I lightly oil a pan, I dust it with flour. This seems to keep it from sticking. Secondly, have you gone to a non-stick springform pan? Carole uses this exclusively for her cheesecakes.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:31 pm

I do use a non-stick pan. It's like the sugar and egg white gets sticky-syrupy, not so much like a flour crust sticking. Not a major problem, as everybody who tries it is so involved with the taste, that they hardly notice the crust, but I notice, darn it.

I only make this about once a year because it's like a coronary on a plate, it's so rich.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:22 am

Try spraying it with baking spray, cutting a circle of parchment paper (not wax paper, parchment!), putting that on top of the spray, then spraying the paper again. You could do the same with melted butter: butter, paper, butter...REstaurant trick that works. I bake nothing without the paper. I don't always double butter, but that helps.