Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

One of my favorite restaurants closed last week...so sad!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

One of my favorite restaurants closed last week...so sad!

by Maria Samms » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:44 am

Ambria's in Chicago closed last week after 27 yrs! I know it's a "Lettuce Us Entertain You" restaurant, but I always thought the food was fabulous and wonderful service. It was one of my husband's and I's favorite places. I am so sad! And of course I am going to Chicago next weekend and I had to find someplace else to have a nice dinner.

Here's the article about the closing:

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/d ... 29.article

BOO HOO!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: One of my favorite restaurants close last week...so sad!

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:29 am

Maria, always sad to see a favourite restaurant close, but I nearly spit coffee on my keyboard when I saw the reference at the bottom to using chicken livers to make 'faux gras'!

Is nothing sacred?? Image
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:00 am

Bill, did you forget the the real thing is illegal in Chitown?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:07 am

Carl Eppig wrote:Bill, did you forget the the real thing is illegal in Chitown?

Thanks for the reminder, Carl.

I recalled that they were giving FG away (the law said you couldn't charge for it) and were suing over the validity of the law, but I hadn't followed the conclusion - is the ban in universal force now? What a shame!

I shall sear an extra slab and waft the smoke in the direction of Chicago in sympathy! Of course it would be wasteful not to eat the FG after that.... :D
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Sorry you won't be able to visit Ambria's when you're in Chicago anymore, Maria.

I know what you mean...there used to be a salvadorian place we'd go to in Dupont Circle that had the most amazing, ethereal margarita's in the world. Now, I know of a number of places who claim to have the best margaritas, and I've tried a fair sampling in my lifetime. And to be honest, I'm not really a huge fan of margaritas. But I'm telling you that these little pitchers filled with fluorescent green heaven were like nothing you've ever had, and when the restaurant closed it was truly the end of an era for us. I've tried to find that recipe since then - posted inquiries on Craigslist, tried to find the previous owner, etc. - but to no avail. They're gone forever.

:cry:
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:52 pm

I love a mystery- could it be that they substituted something like Chartreuse for the Cointreau?
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:56 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I love a mystery- could it be that they substituted something like Chartreuse for the Cointreau?

Actually, I think it may have been Cryptonite (sic).
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt