Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Cooking Wine

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:43 am

One doesn't like to cook with anything you wouldn't want to drink, and sometimes the bottom of the main event bottle isn't enough for what you are cooking and you need to open a bottle of something for cooking wine.

I've taken to keeping a screw cap litre of Trebbiano d'Abbruzzo around for those times when some shellfish needs steaming or a white wine based sauce needs doing.

Anyone have faves of either colour they use for cooking?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Cooking Wine

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:56 am

We don't subscribe to the old adage: "Cook with what you are going to drink." We do subscribe to a modification: "Cook with a less expensive version of what you are going to drink."

We have often hung on to ends for cooking such as you have. We also, particuarly in winter stew season, keep 1.5s of inexpensive Chilian things in the fridge for cooking. Next winter, though, we may switch to boxes from Oz.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:01 am

Yes, although the Oz boxes get a lot of criticism, they have the significant advantage that they don't promote oxidation once opened.

Problem is that I find a normally acidic Italian wine works better for cooking (and drinking?) than the fruit-floozy Aussie style you usually get in the bag in a box.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:15 am

It depends on the number of folks I'm cooking for. If it's just Janet and me, I cook with half a bottle of what we are going to have with dinner.

If we are having guests, I usually would cook with a fruity CdR or a village Burgundy, depending on the meat. The 2005 Burgundies are really very nice, and I've got a stock of a dozen bottles set aside for cooking over the next year or so.
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:24 am

Being a big believer in being contrary, I use dry white vermouth when a recipe calls for dry white wine. It's shelf-stable and at $3.99 a bottle, a decent price.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:40 am

Peter Hertzmann wrote:I use dry white vermouth when a recipe calls for dry white wine.

Fully agree. When recipes call for small quantities, it is hard to beat. Works very well in Chinese dishes too. For Japanese we use Sake.

For small quantities of red wine we keep a bottle of inexpensive Tawny Port on hand.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:24 pm

Peter Hertzmann wrote:Being a big believer in being contrary, I use dry white vermouth when a recipe calls for dry white wine. It's shelf-stable and at $3.99 a bottle, a decent price.

This is a good idea.

I keep California inexpensive madeira-like wine around to use in a variety of reduction sauces where I want some sweetness--it even works well to balance tomato sauce. I am sure it's shelf life is at least a generation longer than mine!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:32 pm

I keep some screwcapped, dry Gruner Veltliner.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:49 pm

We find that Franzia Chardonnay in the box works quite well for most applications calling for small amounts of white wine. The stuff's not godawful and is not as flabby as I would have expected.

For reds, I usually use my homemade wine. The syrah, in particular, makes a delicious brasato al "barolo".
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:51 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:We find that Franzia Chardonnay in the box works quite well for most applications calling for small amounts of white wine. The stuff's not godawful and is not as flabby as I would have expected.

For reds, I usually use my homemade wine. The syrah, in particular, makes a delicious brasato al "barolo".

I always use the Franzia in a box for marinading turkey, chicken or salmon headed for my smoker.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:15 pm

For red wines I usually use the Jug wine chianti. If I am making it for company though, I usually use a gamay based wine or like Bob will use a village burgundy or a less expensive CdR.

For white dishes, it really depends on the dish. For Beef Stroganoff or French Onion Soup I always use a less expensive super oaky Cali Chardonnay. To poach salmon En Papillote I always use vermouth. Creamy soups usually get a Fino sherry, and I will marinate chicken or pork in cheapy Pinot Grigio.

Very rarely will I use the same wine I am drinking because I am really cheap :wink: :lol:
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:18 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Very rarely will I use the same wine I am drinking because I am really cheap :wink: :lol:

So I guess wine jelly made from Yquem is right out of the question at your place....darn!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:20 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Maria Samms wrote:Very rarely will I use the same wine I am drinking because I am really cheap :wink: :lol:

So I guess wine jelly made from Yquem is right out of the question at your place....darn!

LOL Bill! Yes...totally out of the question...LOL!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:44 pm

Much as I hate to admit it, I used Yquem in a sabayon once. And an '88 Climens for the same duty just a few weeks ago. So shoot me.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:11 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Much as I hate to admit it, I used Yquem in a sabayon once. And an '88 Climens for the same duty just a few weeks ago. So shoot me.

Stuart, all I can say is "you, and Bill "Microsoft" Gates" :)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:54 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Stuart, all I can say is "you, and Bill "Microsoft" Gates" :)

Well no, now that Bill has dropped to second richest man on Earth I have it on good authority that he will only be using Climens to make his Jello from now on.....
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:09 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Much as I hate to admit it, I used Yquem in a sabayon once. And an '88 Climens for the same duty just a few weeks ago.

So should we assume that this was not because the bottle was sitting around already opened and collecting dust and needed to be used but rather because you felt it offered a superior result to using a cheaper wine?

So shoot me.

No, I don't think shooting is the correct response. Rather, a request to taste said sabayon. :D
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:52 am

It was at the end of a long meal and we were pretty toasted by that time, so it just seemed like a good idea
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:57 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Much as I hate to admit it, I used Yquem in a sabayon once. And an '88 Climens for the same duty just a few weeks ago. So shoot me.

No incoming fire from this direction. I've got to know, though: How were the results? Could you detect any real difference in the zabaglio^H^H^H^H sabayon, or did the other ingredients pretty much cover up the special sauce?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:52 am

Hard to say. I was drunk at the time and we had just gotten our female guests ready for the hot tub. I wish I could remember who they were...

Actually, it was superb, but I doubt I could distinguish it from a sabayon made with any other excellent Sauternes. It would NOT have worked with a mediocre wine. The French version of sabayon is very simple, basically just wine, sugar, and egg yolks, so it actually shows much of the wine's character.
Last edited by Stuart Yaniger on Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:22 am

Carl Eppig wrote: We have often hung on to ends for cooking such as you have. We also, particuarly in winter stew season, keep 1.5s of inexpensive Chilian things in the fridge for cooking. Next winter, though, we may switch to boxes from Oz.

You can freeze leftover wine in plastic water bottles. It doesn't hurt the wine and you don't have to worry about oxidation turning it into vinegar.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:49 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:It was at the end of a long meal and we were pretty toasted by that time, so it just seemed like a good idea

Yes. Ok. I can see that.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:19 pm

You know me too well!