Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Growing cilantro for the first time

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Growing cilantro for the first time

by Jenise » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:54 pm

Okay, all you who think cilantro tastes like soap can ignore this one....

So I bought a cilantro starter, simply labeled cilantro, and planted it. Up comes this plant about three feet tall that has lacy leaves, or should I say fronds as they're dill-like, few and far between on fairly stiff and unusable stems. It does taste like cilantro, but if I pulled up the whole plant I would barely get enough greenery off it to make one bowl of salsa. I blamed myself, thinking I must have over-fertilized or planted too early. Oh, it's been blooming for several weeks.

Then yesterday I went over to a friends' house and while there admired her garden. Lo an behold, she had some cilantro she wanted to show me. Three plants, bought as starters just like mine. But all different. The first was identical to mine, the second was exactly what I recognize as cilantro, on a plant that's shorter and more compact but full and bushy, and a third that's the tallest of all and very full and very bushy yet with frilly lacy leaves similar to the first. Only the first one that's identical to mine is blooming.

If there's anyone here who's familiar with the various species of cilantro (I did not know, but should have suspected because there always is, that there was more than one type), I'd like to hear from you about what kinds of cilantro we've got going on here.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: Growing cilantro for the first time

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi Jenise, unfortunately I know nothing about growing anything, but I did find this little blog that seems to indicate that it's more in the way it's grown (at least that's how I read it, but now I'm intrigued so I'm going to keep researching - slow day at work :wink: )

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load ... 84527.html
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:39 pm

http://www.howtodothings.com/home-and-g ... antro.html

Also:

Harvesting
Cilantro is ready to be harvested as soon as the plant is 4 - 6 inches tall, which can take 40 to 60 days after planting. It can take up to 120 days to produce mature seed (coriander).

If the older, outside leaves are harvested, the plant will continue to produce new foliage until it goes to seed. Large-scale commercial growers clip the plant just below ground level and bunch it. Many growers cut it off 1 inch above the ground. The plant can regrow for a second cutting; however, it does not regrow as efficiently as parsley and for that reason many growers just harvest it only once.

Sounds like maybe you just let it grow for too long?

Oh - and by the way, I DO think cilantro tastes kind of like soap, but I still like it!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:50 pm

I used to grow it from seed, from my own seed, but all of sudden in the past two years I can't get the seeds to start--even ones that I buy. Have no idea why and haven't had the time to look into it.

It doesn't taste like soap--it tastes like underarm deodorant, but the organic kind...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Kim Adams

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:50 pm

by Kim Adams » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:02 pm

I love cilantro but my problem is that it bolts into the fern-like state way before my tomatoes come in and even when I plant a second set in late June I never seem to have it when I really need it. In my experience, the good leafy tops come first at around 6-8 inches but don't stay around very long before it's morphed into that ferny state. I find that those ferny fronds don't have much flavor so I rarely use them. Let them go to seed. You'll get new plants next year.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:17 pm

My experience has been much like Kim's. Those darned plants bolt in no time and I can't seem to get any length of time that it really produces edible leaves.
When it bolts and then goes to seed, I've replanted and got a second crop during the same growing season.
The best luck I've had is to plant lots of seed (which maybe takes up more garden area than is worth) and then I have lots of young plants to harvest before they bolt.
Store bought fresh cilantro is the way I go now.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:06 pm

Thomas wrote:... but the organic kind...

%^)

You bad !

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:14 pm

Bill Spencer wrote:
Thomas wrote:... but the organic kind...

%^)

You bad !

Clink !

%^)

Figured someone would catch it ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:11 pm

Cilantro bolts at the first sign of any heat. It loves cool weather. The store bought is the way to go or get it at the Farmer's Market. Try to find it with the roots, put in glass of water, put a plastic bag over the top and keep in refer. It will last for at least two weeks.
Also, I've been told that herbs do not like to be fertilized. I have never done it in 35 years of gardening. They come back every year and the annual ones do great during their season.
I believe if your cilantro is leggy and has fern like fronds, you let it get past the harvesting stage. I bought some at the store today, and that is the way it looks this time in the season. Farmers Markets here don't even have it anymore, it is too hot. I also believe that your friends cilantro was planted at different stages, maybe two weeks apart, to ensure a good supply, hence the different look to each one.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

I just found this link.......informative thread about cilantro

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:26 pm

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:56 pm

Jenise,

I only tried to grow cilantro myself once, and I gave up on the project an decided it was easier to buy it when I need it from a grocer's.

Like many plants, cilantro lives in one of two main states:

o I like it here--time to produce more leaves and stems

o OH, CRAP!! I need to bail out and produce seeds pronto--and hope that the next generation ends up in a better location than what I'm stuck with!!!!!

This second state is also known as "bolting". If a plant enters this phase, it produces long stems (all the better to raise the flowers nice and high where pollinating insects can see them), flowers, and then seeds. And then the whole plant dies off.

What you want to try to do is to convince the coriander to stay in the first (vegetative) phase, where it is content to produce lots of leaves and short stems, and perhaps to propagate by underground runners and whatnot.

Good luck--my coriander all decided to bolt. From a whole spring's crop, I got enough coriander seed to make one curry dish. I never was able to harvest any cilantro leaves.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:26 pm

I believe if your cilantro is leggy and has fern like fronds, you let it get past the harvesting stage.

Karen, Paul, everyone: no I didn't. It never got TO the harvesting stage but has been like this since infancy, which is why I presumed I'd done something wrong. And which is why I went to such pains to describe what I saw in my friend's garden: she has one just like mine, and one right next to it that's a poster child for Perfect Cilantro (and that isn't flowering), and one right next to that that is beautifully dense and packed but lacy-leafed and not flowering. She planted all of hers at the same time, and about June 1st as I did.

Well, a little digging around just now tells me that Laurie's third plant (in the order I described) is a variety called Delfino, so that mystery's solved. I'd love to have one of those. I could find no explanation for the one that she and I have in common, though.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov