Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

restaurant advice in chicago needed

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

restaurant advice in chicago needed

by Howard » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:03 pm

I need a restaurant for a lunch meeting. I have not yet personally met the person with whom I am meeting. He tells me in e-mail communications that he has no real dining cuisine preference, only that the restaurant should be quiet so we can talk. I'm a pretty adventurous omnivore but suspect that this is not the time for something outrageous. Cost is really not an issue but I do not want an ostentatious, stuffy, overblown, gaudy money-is-no-object restaurant because I do not want to give the impression that I am that kind of person. I need an understated, elegant, non-pretentious, quiet, high quality,pleasant place to meet and eat. This is an important meeting for me and if it goes well, it will result in a business relationship that will benefit us both. His schedule is that he arrives at Midway airport at 12 noon on the day of the meeting and needs to be back at the airport by 4pm. A cab ride is easy to arrange.

So, any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Howard
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: restaurant advice in chicago needed

by Howie Hart » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:21 pm

Well, I guess due to the time constraints the Sawyer Creek Hotel can be ruled out. :roll: (I just left there.) Good luck with your meeting Howard.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:18 am

Hi Howard,

I lived in Chicago many years ago, so I will *try* and see if I can come up with some recommendations for you. The biggest problem with Chicago restaurants is they are ALL very noisey...even the very high end. I would have recommended Ambria...but as you see from my other post they have closed down :( .

Anyway, here are some options that would fit your criteria of not overly expensive, with good food, and not TOO noisey...I hope some resident Midwesterners can give some better suggestions:

Adobo Grill
(312) 266-7999 Make a Reservation
http://www.adobogrill.com
1610 N Wells St
Chicago, IL 60614

Fantastic higher end Mexican. Will be somewhat noisey though.

MK
868 N Franklin St
Chicago, IL 60610
312-482-9179 - map & directions
http://www.mkchicago.com

Good Contemporary American food, decent prices, on the quieter side (especially if you dine upstairs). Decent lighting as well (if you are trying to show him papers, it's not too dark)

One Sixtyblue
160 N. Loomis St.
Chicago, IL 60607
312-850-0303 - map & directions
http://www.onesixtyblue.com

Great seafood, on the quieter side, a little dark inside

Le Colonial
937 N. Rush St.
Chicago, IL 60611
312-255-0088 - map & directions
http://www.lecolonialchicago.com

This has a Thai French fusion kind of menu. Food is pretty good. Not too noisey, can be a bit dark in some areas of the restaurant.

Grace
623 W. Randolph St.
Chicago, IL 60661
312-928-9200 - map & directions

This restaurant specializes in game. It's a little small and is on the noiser side. Is also not very bright inside.

Mon Ami Gabi
Oak Brook Center
Chicago, IL
630-472-1900 - map & directions
http://www.leye.com

This is a decent French Bistro...it's a Lettuce Entertain you restaurant. The food is good and so is the lighting. It's smaller though.

There is always Ruth Chris' or Nick's Fish Market as well.

If I had to choose one place from this list, I would pick MK, since it's somewhat upscale, good service and lighting, larger, and not too noisey. Again, Howard, please take my suggestions with a grain of salt, since I haven't lived in Chicago for over 7 yrs! But, I have included the websites of these places, and hopefully, someone else can give you some suggestions as well. GL! I hope the meeting goes great. KUP on where you go.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:28 am

Lat Cantina at The Italian Village.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions all. We ended up at Cafe Spiaggia for a variety of reasons. Had a very nice lunch at a very quiet table. I had Tomato Bread soup and Oriechiette with fava beans, peas, olive oil and parmesan. My companion had some grilled artichoke hearts and a very nice looking walleye filet. He had tiramisu and espresso for dessert and I had a taste of 3 gelatos (gelati?) espresso, caramel and blueberry. The blueberry was the best with deep flavors and just enough sweet. We did not have wine but there is a very interesting Italian wine list with 3-4 selections each from 8 or 9 different regions of Italy. The tab was $103.00USD before tip. The ambience is elegant without being stuffy- nice murals on the walls. Waitstaff was courteous and competent. We had a pretty view of Michigan avenue and the lake. Overall, I'd probably go there again for this type of lunch if there weren't 15000 other places I'd like to try. :?
Howard
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:26 am

Thanks for the suggestions Maria - I've eaten at many of them and each have their special charms. In particular, MK, one-sixty-blue and mon ami gabi are among my very favorites. I've been waiting to try adobo grill. Don't know anything about Le Colonial and Grace but if you suggest them, I'll put them on the list. Thanks again.
Howard
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:33 am

Thanks Carl, I don't know that one. Looks like a good wine list to check out at some point.
Howard
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:46 am

In a previous life we hit the NRA (Restaurant not Rifle) Show for five consecutive years at the McCormick Center. We never missed a chance to visit the I. Village while there.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:17 am

I am so glad all went well Howard!

I haven't eaten at Cafe Spiaggia. I guess that my experience with Italian restaurants in Chicago has been very disappointing, so I haven't bothered to try Cafe Spiaggia, although I have heard wonderful things about it. It's the Wolfgang Puck restaurant right? Anyway, I may have to check it out at some point, sounds like you have a lovely meal.

I also really loved a restaurant called BlackBird, which is right next door to Grace. I didn't suggest it because it is SUPER noisey...but excellent food and not crazy expensive either.

I will be dining at Tru this weekend. I haven't eaten there yet...I hope it's as good as I am anticipating.

So, Howard, did you get the business?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:20 pm

It's the Wolfgang Puck restaurant right?
No, it's part of a local chain of restaurants known as Levy Brothers. The chef is Tony Mantuano.

I've not been to TRU, let me know what you think. How often are you in Chicago? We should do an offline sometime.

Regarding the business, you know how it goes. It was a good first meeting. We've agreed to meet again.... :roll:
Howard
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:03 pm

Howard wrote:
It's the Wolfgang Puck restaurant right?
No, it's part of a local chain of restaurants known as Levy Brothers. The chef is Tony Mantuano.

Ahhh...that's right, I knew it was part of something. Thanks for that info.

Howard wrote:I've not been to TRU, let me know what you think.

Certainly!

Howard wrote:How often are you in Chicago? We should do an offline sometime.

Right now I only get back there about once a yr for a long weekend to see my friends and get a break from the kiddos. I will definitely be out there next June for a reunion...I will let you know, I would love to do an offline!

Howard wrote:Regarding the business, you know how it goes. It was a good first meeting. We've agreed to meet again.... :roll:

Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well at the 2nd meeting!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:05 pm

I have had real good results booking unknown restaurants in new cities through Opentable.com. If's free and provides guides to all restaurants.