Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What to do with Pesto?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

What to do with Pesto?

by Maria Samms » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:09 pm

Hi all,

I made some homemade pesto yesterday. I made A LOT! I am giving half of it to my neighbor who so generously provided me with unlimited access to his fresh basil and oregano plants. I have already had pasta salad made with pesto, pesto chicken wraps, spaghetti with pesto, and bruschetta. I was hoping to make something with poached to fried eggs (or froached...thanks Jenise!)and pesto...any ideas? Anybody have a great recipe that requires pesto?

btw, I made the pesto with roasted garlic and toasted pine nuts (and of course EVOO, parm, some garlic salt and lemon juice).
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: What to do with Pesto?

by Thomas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:54 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Hi all,

I made some homemade pesto yesterday. I made A LOT! I am giving half of it to my neighbor who so generously provided me with unlimited access to his fresh basil and oregano plants. I have already had pasta salad made with pesto, pesto chicken wraps, spaghetti with pesto, and bruschetta. I was hoping to make something with poached to fried eggs (or froached...thanks Jenise!)and pesto...any ideas? Anybody have a great recipe that requires pesto?

btw, I made the pesto with roasted garlic and toasted pine nuts (and of course EVOO, parm, some garlic salt and lemon juice).

White beans.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:30 pm

Eggs, yes. I'm thinking a fritatta with pesto swirled in after the eggs are added to the pan.

Add a dollop in a bowl of vegetable soup to make an analog of the Provencal soup, pistou.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:20 am

What Stuart said. Pesto in vegetable soup makes the most delicious bit of spring and summer your mouth can have.
Howard
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:21 am

Oh and don't forget pizza with pesto and goat cheese.
Howard
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:35 am

All of the above and then burgers, too.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:46 am

Maria,
We always seem to wind up with industrial quantities of our fresh pesto also. We've had good luck freezing a bunch in those small cupcake/cake baking cups and storing in freezer bags.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:41 am

All the above plus white fish. Haddock and even the lowly flounder come to new life with a drollop of Pesto.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:55 am

Pesto and Sun Dried Tomato Pasta

Make a sauce of cream, pesto, chopped sun dried tomatoes, grated or shaved parmesan cheese, and chopped prosciutto. Toss warm pasta in the sauce to coat well. Serve warm or at room temperature.

This is one of our faves.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:50 am

And yes, if you still have some left, freeze it. I use ice cube trays.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:12 am

Thanks everyone! These are fantastic ideas. And I am definitely going to freeze some as well.

Carl Eppig wrote:All the above plus white fish. Haddock and even the lowly flounder come to new life with a drollop of Pesto.

Thanks Carl...this suggestion also helps with my dilemma about what to do with my Haddock!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:38 am

this suggestion also helps with my dilemma about what to do with my Haddock!

Try two aspirin.

Thanks, folks, you're a wonderful audience. I'm here through Saturday!
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:34 am

Been feeling a little crabby lately, been reeling, so I think I'll skipjack my school Friday and skate on in to catch your act with a grouper two just for the halibut. Seviche?
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:22 am

When we've got lots of pesto?

Pesto Chicken w/ potatoes. Rub pesto into a whole chicken (inside & out) and bake. Treat the potatoes the same way.

Richard
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:59 am

Spread some on flattened piece of pork tenderloin. Roll up jelly-roll style and secure with toothpicks and grill. I added parm and more pine nuts.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:24 pm

All of the above, plus: come winter, make mashed potatoes one night from baked potatoes. Reserve the skins, having left a bit of potato flesh on them, brush them with olive oil and broil until crisp, then spread the interiors with pesto and top with crumbled bits of broiled-crisp proscuitto and slivers of green onion.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:08 pm

Hey everyone! I just wanted to let you know I have tried several of these recipes already and everything was so delicious. I made that leftover haddock last night (I slathered on the pesto, let it marinate for 30 min and then cooked it in a foil pack for 20 min and it was absolutely awesome...thanks Carl. I served that with the pesto potato skins that Jenise recommended...also very yummy!

The day before I made an egg dish that came out wonderful. I buttered a piece of Italian bread and fried it. Then I spread on the pesto, topped that with some thin sliced deli ham, and a poached egg...it was great!

For dinner I made the Pesto pasta with the sun dried tomatoes that Cynthia recommended. Wow...I could seriously eat it EVERY meal. It was sooo good.

I froze several batches and can't wait to use it during the winter in soup. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions...still need to try the rest of these recipes!
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:37 pm

One more, try adding it to green vegetables. Doesn't make sense from a color standpoint, but flavor-wise I find it goes well with okra and green beans.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:41 am

What? nobody mentioned swirling it into a light risotto?

I make a standard issue risotto, with either a light chicken broth or a vegetable broth, hold the saffron, and instead drop in a few blops of pesto right at the end of the cooking time, before it comes to the table.

It's a nice change of pace from spaghetti.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:57 am

What?! Nobody mentioned getting a spoon and eating it out of the jar? What's wrong with you people? :roll: :D

rwj