Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

beans and sage

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

beans and sage

by Thomas » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:54 pm

I've done pasta with sage and butter, but last night I had white beans on my mind--after telling Maria about pesto and beans.

Great and simple summer dish:

Saute the beans in mixture of butter and olive oil (to make believe you are doing it healthy) with sliced sage, chopped basil, and a touch of hot pepper.

Serve with parsley garnish, salad, and either Proseeco or a Provencal rose.

PS: I forgot to mention to add a touch of stock (1/2 cup at most) and stir the beans constantly until the stock evaporates.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: beans and sage

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:17 pm

Would these be fresh beans, dried and reconstituted, or jar/can?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:58 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Would these be fresh beans, dried and reconstituted, or jar/can?

The first of my fresh bean crop, but dried and reconstituted would work. I hate canned beans.

And of course Prosecco is far better than Proseeco ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:30 pm

So Thomas, I am guessing again, but I suppose you are speaking about the thing that some here call by some fancy French name, and I call "green beans"? If I am guessing correctly, do you have a favorite? I kinda favor a stringless bean or the flat Italian (whatever that is called).
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:09 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:So Thomas, I am guessing again, but I suppose you are speaking about the thing that some here call by some fancy French name, and I call "green beans"?

Oh. I was reading it as a cannellini type bean.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:45 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Oh. I was reading it as a cannellini type bean.

I'm sure you're correct, Cynthia. Thomas said "white beans," and Tuscan beans-and-sage almost invariably use cannellini beans. I'm not sure how BobH got "green" out of that.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:58 pm

Thomas said:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:58 Post subject: Re: beans and sage Reply to topic Reply with quote
Stuart Yaniger wrote:
Would these be fresh beans, dried and reconstituted, or jar/can?

The first of my fresh bean crop, but dried and reconstituted would work. I hate canned beans.

And of course Prosecco is far better than Proseeco Wink

I am not thinking that dried beans is a fresh bean crop. Maybe that is why I thought haricot verts?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:20 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:I am not thinking that dried beans is a fresh bean crop. Maybe that is why I thought haricot verts?

Bob, most dried bean dishes can also be made with freshly <i>shelled</i> white beans from the pod, which are basically the fresh form of the famliar dried bean.

Here's a recipe from The Splendid Table using fresh white beans:

Fresh White Beans with Garlic and Light Basil Sauce

I expect Thomas is doing something similar with his beans and sage.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:47 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:I am not thinking that dried beans is a fresh bean crop. Maybe that is why I thought haricot verts?

Bob, most dried bean dishes can also be made with freshly <i>shelled</i> white beans from the pod, which are basically the fresh form of the famliar dried bean.

Here's a recipe from The Splendid Table using fresh white beans:

Fresh White Beans with Garlic and Light Basil Sauce

I expect Thomas is doing something similar with his beans and sage.

Yeah, and because I had just come up with the idea of doing this two nights ago, I even forgot to mention the garlic, which is the ingredient that should have been listed right up there with the beans ;)

BobH, they were my fresh cannellini beans. I believe this can be done with any white bean. Not sure about sage and green (string) beans. Never tried that.

Next time I try the white beans, I will add wine--maybe 1/4 cup wine, 1/4 cup stock.

Robin,

Similar but different than the Splendid Table recipe. In the one I did, the butter adds texture and flavor, and the liquid I used is at minimum--plus, with sage and basil in mine, I don't see the need for a bay leaf.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:13 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:So Thomas, I am guessing again, but I suppose you are speaking about the thing that some here call by some fancy French name, and I call "green beans"?

Me too. As for sage and green beans I would think that the sage would overpower or conflict with the flavor of the green bean.

If you are using the white beans as a side dish and Brunello is your choice of wine with the roasted lamb rack, then use rosemary for the beans instead of sage. Sage will overpower the Brunello. Not that anyone was talking about that. Sorry.

rwj
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:24 am

Robert J. wrote:
Cynthia Wenslow wrote:

Me too. As for sage and green beans I would think that the sage would overpower or conflict with the flavor of the green bean.

If you are using the white beans as a side dish and Brunello is your choice of wine with the roasted lamb rack, then use rosemary for the beans instead of sage. Sage will overpower the Brunello. Not that anyone was talking about that. Sorry.

rwj

Robert,

Sage does not seem to overpower Barolo, Barbaresco, Spanna, and all sorts of Nebbioli...but, it is summer, and I liked the chilled Provencal rose with the dish.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:06 pm

Right. But Brunello is not a nebbiolo. Maybe it is just my palate but I have always found rosemary to work better with Brunello.

rwj
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:24 pm

Robert J. wrote:Right. But Brunello is not a nebbiolo.

rwj

I know that. That's why I offered the opposite: that sage doesn't overpower Nebbiolo.

I'm not going to use rosemary when I want to use sage, so I'll seek a wine that can stand up to the sage. I do believe that rosemary is perfect with lamb, and there, I like Rhone-style wines best.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:05 pm

Thomas wrote:

rwj

I know that. That's why I offered the opposite: that sage doesn't overpower Nebbiolo.

I'm not going to use rosemary when I want to use sage, so I'll seek a wine that can stand up to the sage. I do believe that rosemary is perfect with lamb, and there, I like Rhone-style wines best.

Man, I'm really sorry. I didn't quite get what you were saying. I didn't mean for that to sound pissy.

rwj
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:38 am

Thomas wrote:Yeah, and because I had just come up with the idea of doing this two nights ago, I even forgot to mention the garlic, which is the ingredient that should have been listed right up there with the beans ;)

Funny, because when I was reading your original post, I thought to myself, great, but where's the garlic?
White beans. Garlic. Pepperoncino. The other holy trinity.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:27 am

Robert J. wrote:
Thomas wrote:

rwj

Man, I'm really sorry. I didn't quite get what you were saying. I didn't mean for that to sound pissy.

rwj

No problem, Robert. I know that online posting often loses the nuance. I was just reiterating my point.

It's the direct nastiness and crassness that I've encountered a few times that really pisses me off... ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:29 am

John Tomasso wrote:
Thomas wrote:Yeah, and because I had just come up with the idea of doing this two nights ago, I even forgot to mention the garlic, which is the ingredient that should have been listed right up there with the beans ;)

Funny, because when I was reading your original post, I thought to myself, great, but where's the garlic?
White beans. Garlic. Pepperoncino. The other holy trinity.

John,

Garlic is like my third hand when cooking and so, I often forget to mention it in the recipe...

Great idea: how many Holy Trinity of Food can we come up with on WLDG. Maybe to start another thread.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:51 am

Thomas wrote:Great idea: how many Holy Trinity of Food can we come up with on WLDG. Maybe to start another thread.

Start it and sticky it!

rwj