Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Berghoff Cutlery too good to be true?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Berghoff Cutlery too good to be true?

by Fred Sipe » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:32 pm

Today a friend showed me an 18-piece cutlery set in a roll-up travel case with a handle. Apparently these are marketed to culinary school students. Made in Germany of high carbon stainless these knives are substantial and impressive.

Quite a kit for about $80.00 to $130.00 or so from what I've found online. I've paid more than a hundred bucks each for just 2 different chef's knives and these knives at first glance (no trial) seem more impressive.

My only reservation is the considerable heft and somewhat blocky oversize handles.

If these are the real deal there's not a better bargain out there. Here's a link to one of the sites I've found that sells them... I'm not promoting them, just an FYI and wondering if anyone has any info on the brand.

http://www.chefknifes.com/berghoff_knives3.htm
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Berghoff Cutlery too good to be true?

by Jenise » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:02 pm

Fred, I've never heard of these and the price is definitely, to my ears, way too good to be true. I can't imagine anyone is actually selling quality European-made product at that price. Plus, there are good reasons that one constantly hears about MAC, Global, Sabatier, Wusthof.

I checked Amazon, who does sell Berghoff, to see if there were any customer reviews. Nope! So, can't be of any help, but if you buy a set it would be interesting to see what you think of them. Have you used your friend's?
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:17 pm

I'd only buy these from someone with a good return policy. The edge grinding of the blades looks a bit specious. I have seen a number of catalogs from low-end Chinese knife producers and the price looks to be inline. Generally, the quality of the steel is lacking in the cheaper knives and they are not finished well. I also firmly believe that knives should be “test-driven” before purchase—they have to feel good in your hand.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:17 pm

I've seen the 18-piece set and it is impressive, but the big knives ARE kind of heavy and "clunky." I did not actually use any to prep anything - just got to handle them.

I can buy the set wholesale for $60.00 and I think it would be worth the cost just for the various smaller utility knives, but I had never heard of the brand either.