Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Perfect pairings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Perfect pairings

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:09 pm

Jenise wrote:sauvignon blanc with asparagus

Just a nit pick on this one, Jenise - if you're drinking Marlborough sauv blanc with asparagus the sauv blanc needs to be at least a year old - it needs to get past the high acid fruitiness and start picking up some of the more bottle aged vegetal characters. Of course, if you get a vegetal sauv blanc to start with it might work in the vintage of release, but often not.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:25 pm

For me, asparagus matches better with dry Muscat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:28 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:

Just a nit pick on this one, Jenise - if you're drinking Marlborough sauv blanc with asparagus the sauv blanc needs to be at least a year old - it needs to get past the high acid fruitiness and start picking up some of the more bottle aged vegetal characters. Of course, if you get a vegetal sauv blanc to start with it might work in the vintage of release, but often not.
Cheers,
Sue

Sue, completely understood. And it wouldn't work if the asparagus was overcooked or canned either. Point is, you could pick nits with nearly everything on my list. I certainly don't advocate any wine being drunk too early or served with poorly prepared food. Remember, I was trying to get away from the concept of perfect since there are so many roads to perfection and all won't get there--I was just addressing classic combos in general, and my own kitchen preferences in particular.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:42 pm

As I said in my post about NiagaraCOOL, I spread myself too thin and some of the foods I was planning never hit the table. One such item was grilled asparagus. As a result, I briefly blanched a lot of asparagus, separated the tips from the stalks and froze them separately, with the intention of making a pot or two of Cream of Asparagus soup. What would you folks pair with this?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:25 pm

James, welcome to the forum. You know what, I think if you took the word "perfect" out and substituted a word like 'classic' instead, guys like Hoke would have less to argue with.

"Guys like Hoke"; interesting phrase there, Jenise.

Would you care to enlighten me by telling me what a "guy like Hoke" is? I'd be interested in knowing. :)
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:07 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:

Cheers,
Sue

Another nit pick, Sue: pairing many Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs with asparagus might easily be considered redundant cuisine ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:31 am

Hoke wrote:
James, welcome to the forum. You know what, I think if you took the word "perfect" out and substituted a word like 'classic' instead, guys like Hoke would have less to argue with.

Would you care to enlighten me by telling me what a "guy like Hoke" is? I'd be interested in knowing. :)

Hoke is one of a kind. It's self-explanatory. I don't know why Jenise chose to use the plural. Was she lumping you in with Lou?!?!?!?!? :shock:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:39 pm

Hoke wrote:

Guys like Hoke: Clumsy turn of phrase meaning I knew that you, for one, had taken issue with James' post and I thought maybe others had but I didn't have time to go back and re-read the entire thread.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:09 pm

I thought Hoke-bashing was an acceptable sport on this forum.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:18 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I thought Hoke-bashing was an acceptable sport on this forum.

Well, it is. But I don't bash anybody, so that's not what was going on. :)
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:11 am

Thomas wrote:Another nit pick, Sue: pairing many Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs with asparagus might easily be considered redundant cuisine ;)

LOL. Only the older ones, Thomas. Gosh, I remember some of the early Marlborough sauv blancs that tasted just like the juice of canned asparagus or canned peas. Talk about drinking your greens!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:21 am

Jenise wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:I thought Hoke-bashing was an acceptable sport on this forum.

Well, it is. But I don't bash anybody, so that's not what was going on. :)

ANYBODY?!?!? I bet I could through out a few names you could bash (Bush). In the final analysis, you are WAY too nice Jenise. :roll: Maybe I'm WAY too mean. :oops:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:08 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Maybe I'm WAY too mean. :oops:

Poll! Poll! :D
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:02 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Maybe I'm WAY too mean. :oops:

Poll! Poll! :D

Obviously Roscoe-bashing is also an acceptable sport on this forum! :twisted: Bring it on! :twisted:
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:59 pm

Dear James,

Interesting that "classic" pairings was mentioned, as that is one of the features I really like in a book that Hoke was involved in testing: "The Wine Lover's Cookbook," by Sid Goldstein. Organized by variety, it has a number of classic pairings that have always worked well for me. A word of warning, the author believes in layering flavors and exact measurements. Most of the recipes have fifteen ingredients or more, and have measurements like "2 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar." However, never has a recipe failed me, either.

This is probably on the shelves of your local bookstore, but you can also get a preview on Amazon. (Robin, please feel free to stick the WLP affiliate in there). Some of his classic pairings are Marinated Mussels and Roasted Red Bell Peppers with pinot grigio, for instance, not something that immediatly comes to mind.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:28 am

wnissen wrote:Interesting that "classic" pairings was mentioned, as that is one of the features I really like in a book that Hoke was involved in testing: "The Wine Lover's Cookbook," by Sid Goldstein. Organized by variety, it has a number of classic pairings that have always worked well for me.

I have that book! I love it too. So Hoke was involved.
Maybe someone here knows the answer to a question I've often asked myself - is Sid Goldstein related to Evan Goldstein MS?
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
wnissen wrote:Interesting that "classic" pairings was mentioned, as that is one of the features I really like in a book that Hoke was involved in testing: "The Wine Lover's Cookbook," by Sid Goldstein. Organized by variety, it has a number of classic pairings that have always worked well for me.

Maybe someone here knows the answer to a question I've often asked myself - is Sid Goldstein related to Evan Goldstein MS?

Dunno, you're a noted wine critic, why don't you pick up the "hot phone" (Burgundy colored, of course) and call him? :)

I have a real love-hate relationship with TWLCB, because of its complexity. I would much rather have a very good match with half the work, but it is geared almost exclusively to "Saturday night" dishes. His new one, "The Wine Lover Cooks with Wine" is a lot simpler, which is great, but I don't necessarily need to *use* the wine, I just want it to match. Maybe I should try simplifying some of the original's recipes and post them here.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

by CMMiller » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:19 pm

Zin and BBQ - I agree it depends somewhat on the BBQ and the Zin. Interestingly, at a tasting of Zins and sauces a couple of years ago, most people at my table thought that most of the Zins were better with the classic Marinara sauce than with a slightly sweet, mildly spice "barbecue" sauce.

Oloroso sherry is very nice with barbecued red meat in a variety of styles.

On the other hand, one of my best Zin-food pairings ever was a middle-aged Ridge Lytton Springs with anchovy and sausage pizza.

But before we scare people off, the first thing to say is the number of GREAT food-wine pairings is not very large and the number of really bad ones (as in making the food or wine taste WORSE) is quite small. IMHO.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:01 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:

No, he's not, Sue.

Yes, I was involved in the book---along with a lot of other people, mind you. Sid was simply gracious enough to give me a little mention, thassall. We had the pleasure of working together for several years, and since we were both lovers of good food and wine (especially together) we did a lot of happy collaboration, exploring food and wine affinities.

The 'field testing' was the most fun part, natch, but I assisted Sid with some of the wine information as well. I subjectively think that section is rock solid, concise, yet informative (for which all credit goes to Sid!).

Sid also co-authored a couple of terrific books with John Ash, by the way. He was deeply involved in the development of what came to be known as "wine country cooking" in some areas, and "California Fresh" in others.

Walt's right in that the recipes echo Sid's meticulous nature: the recipes are very precise and detailed. But they also work exceptionally well. They are very reliable. And the food and wine pairings are meticulously tested as well. It's a good, sturdy, reliable resource book, and I'm proud to have been a small part of it.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:03 pm

But before we scare people off, the first thing to say is the number of GREAT food-wine pairings is not very large and the number of really bad ones (as in making the food or wine taste WORSE) is quite small. IMHO.

Wise words, my friend. Wise words that we should always remember when food and wine pairing is discussed.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:09 pm

I'd like to repeat this as well. The search for perfection is a mostly futile search that leaves me cold. Perfection, when one finds it, is going to be some happy coincidence of the way the food is seasoned and the mood/age of the wine involved. It's really more important to concentrate on the last half of Christian's (Christian, that is you, isn't it? Welcome back) statement--it's really a lot harder to screw up than most people imagine. Choose a wine of relatively equal body and sweetness to the dish, and you usually have a good pairing.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:48 pm

Jenise wrote: Perfection, when one finds it, is going to be some happy coincidence of the way the food is seasoned and the mood/age of the wine involved.

I once had a glass of Mission Jewelstone Chardonnay 1994 (Hawkes Bay, NZ) with a plump, perfectly ripened Golden Queen peach straight off our tree. It was that particular wine, at the time 2 or 3 years old, that particular peach and that early summer evening. This still to me is one of the most divine wine and food matching experiences I've had, which I've never been able to repeat with any other wine - though we have tried.
Previous