Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Great NYT concept: 101 ten-minute summer dinners

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Great NYT concept: 101 ten-minute summer dinners

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:14 pm

<i>Normally I'm not a great fan of The New York Times' Mark Bittman, but today's oversize spread in the paper's Food Section was one of those creative efforts that made me say, "Oh, damn, why didn't *I* think of that?!"

A hundred-plus-one one-sentence recipes for cool summer dinners that can be put on the table in 10 minutes or less? What's not to like? For a taste, here are the first 10. Click the link at the end (free registration required) for the rest.

Then let's talk: Can we come up with a bunch of even BETTER 10-minute summer meal ideas on our own?</i>

<B>The Minimalist</b>
Summer Express: 101 Simple Meals Ready in 10 Minutes or Less[/url]
By MARK BITTMAN
The New York Times
Published: July 18, 2007

The pleasures of cooking are sometimes obscured by summer haze and heat, which can cause many of us to turn instead to bad restaurants and worse takeout. But the cook with a little bit of experience has a wealth of quick and easy alternatives at hand. The trouble is that when it’s too hot, even the most resourceful cook has a hard time remembering all the options. So here are 101 substantial main courses, all of which get you in and out of the kitchen in 10 minutes or less. (I’m not counting the time it takes to bring water to a boil, but you can stay out of the kitchen for that.) These suggestions are not formal recipes; rather, they provide a general outline. With a little imagination and some swift moves — and maybe a salad and a loaf of bread — you can turn any dish on this list into a meal that not only will be better than takeout, but won’t heat you out of the house.

1 Make six-minute eggs: simmer gently, run under cold water until cool, then peel. Serve over steamed asparagus.

2 Toss a cup of chopped mixed herbs with a few tablespoons of olive oil in a hot pan. Serve over angel-hair pasta, diluting the sauce if necessary with pasta cooking water.

3 Cut eight sea scallops into four horizontal slices each. Arrange on plates. Sprinkle with lime juice, salt and crushed chilies; serve after five minutes.

4 Open a can of white beans and combine with olive oil, salt, small or chopped shrimp, minced garlic and thyme leaves in a pan. Cook, stirring, until the shrimp are done; garnish with more olive oil.

5 Put three pounds of washed mussels in a pot with half a cup of white wine, garlic cloves, basil leaves and chopped tomatoes. Steam until mussels open. Serve with bread.

6 Heat a quarter-inch of olive oil in a skillet. Dredge flounder or sole fillets in flour and fry until crisp, about two minutes a side. Serve on sliced bread with tartar sauce.

7 Make pesto: put a couple of cups of basil leaves, a garlic clove, salt, pepper and olive oil as necessary in a blender (walnuts and Parmesan are optional). Serve over pasta (dilute with oil or water as necessary) or grilled fish or meat.

8 Put a few dozen washed littlenecks in a large, hot skillet with olive oil. When clams begin to open, add a tablespoon or two of chopped garlic. When most or all are opened, add parsley. Serve alone, with bread or over angel-hair pasta.

9 Pan-grill a skirt steak for three or four minutes a side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, slice and serve over romaine or any other green salad, drizzled with olive oil and lemon.

10 Smear mackerel fillets with mustard, then sprinkle with chopped herbs (fresh tarragon is good), salt, pepper and bread crumbs. Bake in a 425-degree oven for about eight minutes.

<b>Full story in The New York Times</b>
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Great NYT concept: 101 ten-minute summer dinners

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:58 pm

Robin Garr wrote:For a taste, here are the first 10.

6 of which I can't eat because they feature fish and/or other seafood. :?
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:07 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:6 of which I can't eat because they feature fish and/or other seafood. :?

%^)

Yeah BUT there are a total of 75 "recipes" with NO fish and/or other seafood !

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:20 am

Fine idea although some sounded absolutely revolting like the tofu in ketchup sauce..
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:51 am

Rahsaan wrote:Fine idea although some sounded absolutely revolting like the tofu in ketchup sauce..

This goes directly to my less-than-stellar impression of Bittman. Not all the time, but some of the time, I wonder if he actually cooks the stuff he writes about.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:53 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:6 of which I can't eat because they feature fish and/or other seafood. :?

Yeah, but the Lemon Guy is right. Lots of non-fish recipes there. Although as Rahsaan said, not all of them look wonderful. And some of them would press the 10-minute limit even for a very skilled cook.

I still love the <i>idea</i> of simple, bare-bones dinner dishes that can be done in 10 minutes from scratch, though!

Do you just dislike food that swims, Cynthia, or are you allergic? :(
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:22 am

Robin Garr wrote:Do you just dislike food that swims, Cynthia, or are you allergic? :(

Allergic. And I never know which thing might trigger it, so I avoid it all, even limiting to no more than a splash of Worcestershire. I also leave fish sauce out of recipes. :(
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:23 am

Robin Garr wrote:I wonder if he actually cooks the stuff he writes about.

Yes, I mean I suppose it is tough to come up with 101 recipes on what I assume was a relatively tight deadline.

But, that doesn't excuse printing things that sound so vile.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:07 am

Rahsaan wrote:But, that doesn't excuse printing things that sound so vile.

No quarrel here!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:08 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote: I avoid it all. :(

:( indeed.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:22 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:Fine idea although some sounded absolutely revolting like the tofu in ketchup sauce..

This goes directly to my less-than-stellar impression of Bittman. Not all the time, but some of the time, I wonder if he actually cooks the stuff he writes about.

Dear Rahsaan and Robin,
I too have been surprised by the inedibility or near-terminal blandness of some Minimalist recipes. However, this tofu catsup dish is probably better than you imagine. Mix a bit of sriracha or chili paste in there, and you've got a pleasantly hot sauce that really complements the creamy, soy nature of tofu. For a little more color interest, try adding a cup of sliced scallions or fresh bean sprouts. You can make time for this by skipping the dredging and just frying on medium-high heat until light golden.

My beef with this list is that pasta takes a hell of a lot longer than ten minutes to make. Unless you're boiling in a quart of water, it takes ten minutes to come to a boil on my electric stove. Unless you're cooking angel hair, that's twenty minutes by the time you've let it drain.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:41 pm

wnissen wrote:My beef with this list is that pasta takes a hell of a lot longer than ten minutes to make. Unless you're boiling in a quart of water, it takes ten minutes to come to a boil on my electric stove. Unless you're cooking angel hair, that's twenty minutes by the time you've let it drain.

%^)

If you started with hot tap water and added a bit of salt, would it reduce the time ?

If you used fresh pasta, would it reduce the time ?

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:27 pm

I didn't go through the list, but did anyone include a basic omelet (or a simple variant)? Or a basic fritatta?

My favorite 2 minute dish is still peppadews stuffed with chevre, then roasted for a minute and drizzled with olive oil.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:16 pm

wnissen wrote:this tofu catsup dish is probably better than you imagine. Mix a bit of sriracha or chili paste in there, and you've got a pleasantly hot sauce that really complements the creamy, soy nature of tofu. For a little more color interest, try adding a cup of sliced scallions or fresh bean sprouts. You can make time for this by skipping the dredging and just frying on medium-high heat until light golden.

Point well-taken, Walt. I react viscerally to commercial ketchup (<i>Le Sauce Americaine</i>), and won't keep it in the house as a matter of principle. I'm not so holy, though. I like Heinz 57 Chili Sauce, an almost equally commercial product, quite well, and will use it in a flash as a condiment or secret ingredient in some Sichuan or Hunan recipes. I could certainly see a tofu and chili sauce dish (with Sriracha, as you say, or sambal oelek). But ketchup? I guess that hooked me as much as it did Rahsaan. ;)

My beef with this list is that pasta takes a hell of a lot longer than ten minutes to make. Unless you're boiling in a quart of water, it takes ten minutes to come to a boil on my electric stove. Unless you're cooking angel hair, that's twenty minutes by the time you've let it drain.

I thought the same, and noticed a few other procedures that seemed like a dubious fit in a 10-minute race even for a pro. And a couple of cheats, incorporating rice by calling for leftover takeout, although I guess that's fair. It did seem like he started to run short of ideas in the 80s or thereabouts. ;)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:17 pm

Bill Spencer wrote:If you started with hot tap water and added a bit of salt, would it reduce the time ?

I think Mr. Science would tell us, "not significantly."

If you used fresh pasta, would it reduce the time ?

Absolutely. In fact, one of his recipes, fettuccine Alfredo, specifically calls for fresh, apparently for that reason.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:20 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I didn't go through the list, but did anyone include a basic omelet (or a simple variant)? Or a basic fritatta?

Sort of. On a quick scan, he mentions both, plus scrambled eggs, but gussies them up, stuffing meat into the scrambles and omelet and making a pasta frittata. I'd have no problem with a cheese omelet or even an omelet nature for a quick, light dinner, and wouldn't have much problem finding a wine to match.

My favorite 2 minute dish is still peppadews stuffed with chevre, then roasted for a minute and drizzled with olive oil.

That's a goodie! Or cottage cheese, eaten from the container by the light of the refrigerator door ...
no avatar
User

Carla B

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:36 pm

by Carla B » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:51 pm

I like Mark Bittman. At least he doesn't say BAM! when simply adding another clove of garlic. However, in his article of wraps, I was disappointed when he didn't suggest the use of Romaine...or steamed cabbage leaves. I really enjoy rice paper but unless you know how to use it, it is really hit or miss situation. I would have liked to see options on wraps.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:59 pm

wnissen wrote:However, this tofu catsup dish is probably better than you imagine. Mix a bit of sriracha or chili paste in there, and you've got a pleasantly hot sauce

However, mix a bit of sriracha or chili paste in there, and you don't need the ketchup in the first place :D

Otherwise, I must admit that Bittman never seemed to bother me. My mother gave me his Magnum Opus "Everything You Need to Know About Food" or something like that, and while the recipes weren't necessarily useful (have never been a recipe-cook even in the beginning) it was very helpful when I first started cooking because of all the detailed info about ingredients. So I always had slightly positive feelings about his name.

Not that I've bought any of his books since or anything..