Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: David Eyre's Famous Pancake

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

RCP: David Eyre's Famous Pancake

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:54 pm

I made this pancake this morning and it was outstanding! The recipe is originally from the NY Times:

1/2 c flour
1/2 c milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
4 Tbs butter
2 Tbs confectioner's sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Choice of jams, jellies, marmalade, preserves, maple syrup or honey

1. Preheat oven to 425F.

2. In mixing bowl combine the flour, milk, eggs and nutmeg. Beat lightly. Leave the batter a bit lumpy.

3. Melt the butter in a 12-in skillet with an oven-proof handle (I used a cast-iron skillet). When the butter is very hot but not brown, pour in the batter. Bake 15-20 min or until golden brown.

4. Sprinkle the pancake with confectioner's sugar and place briefly in the oven. Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve with favorite topping.

4-6 servings
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: David Eyre's Famous Pancake

by Jenise » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:03 pm

Isn't that the concoction also know as a Dutch Baby?
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:20 pm

I agree, it's a form of Dutch Baby (one of the "soufflé pancakes"). I wonder if the NY Times explained that. Some breakfast restaurants I know specialize in those. The "Original Pancake house" from Portland, Oregon, which later became a chain, is an example.

FWIW, Dutch Baby recipes I've seen (not online BTW) stress beating the eggs a lot (even beating the whites separately). I just checked a good 1940s source and it doesn't separate the eggs, but does beat them very thoroughly.

This recipe is less elaborate. Looks to me like a good pragmatic idea.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:32 pm

Max, I had never even heard of these until about two years ago--overnight guests insisted on making breakfast, and this is what they made. So I commented on it here in my singlemindedly savory way, callng it a "sweet Yorkshire pudding", and it turned out everybody already knew about them! Hoke, I believe it was, even supplied a link to the Portland restaurant you referred to, which was cool because we could all look at a picture of the finished item on the website and agree that yes, we were all talking about the same thing. They're pretty impressive, especially the contrast to their blondeness if they're made in a black iron skillet.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:53 pm

Not much beating, as you can see. I was amazed at how much it rose.